AKG K240 Sextett--Grado'd AKG?
Jun 13, 2010 at 7:38 PM Post #436 of 1,737
Those sextetts do look nice. If you ever can, go for a nice balanced tube amp. It will definitely do them justice. You will get a bigger soundstage, a more 3 dimensional soundstage, tighter and deeper bass and a airier high end. Well pretty much more of everything including refinement. It will take them to another level. You might think that it would be overkill to spend that much on a headphone that can be had for around 100.00, but you would be mistaken. I would take my balanced sextetts over a pair of ad900s, ad1000s, and hd650s anyday. I will admit sextetts can be hit or miss. I've owned some in the past that were not in very good condition and sounded dull and lifeless. So it really depends on the condition. But a well maintained or refurbished pair sounds wonderful IMO.

Jun 14, 2010 at 1:59 PM Post #437 of 1,737
well I'm quite pleased with the sound I got now - I definetely don't feel pressure for change. maybe I'll  just have to listen them more.

Jun 18, 2010 at 8:22 PM Post #438 of 1,737
anyone know how to pop the drivers out? i gotten this far and accidently broke off one of the metal tabs while trying to rewire them. can you even reattach them or am i screwed? 

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Jun 18, 2010 at 8:29 PM Post #440 of 1,737

Quote:
I don't know the answer but I will pray for your sextetts

haha thanks 
tongue.gif

Jun 19, 2010 at 5:28 AM Post #441 of 1,737
Maybe someone can help in the DIY sub-forum: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/list/6

Jun 24, 2010 at 3:53 AM Post #442 of 1,737
How hard are Sextetts to drive? I know they're rated at 600 ohms, but can an Alo RX power them? If not, then how much $ would I have to spend to get an amp with enough juice? I just won a NOS pair on ebay, but it doesn't look like I can afford to power them 
frown.gif

Jun 24, 2010 at 9:41 AM Post #446 of 1,737

Quote:
How hard are Sextetts to drive? I know they're rated at 600 ohms, but can an Alo RX power them? If not, then how much $ would I have to spend to get an amp with enough juice? I just won a NOS pair on ebay, but it doesn't look like I can afford to power them 
frown.gif

they arent very hard to drive - but of course they do sound somewhat better with good amps

edit: its not always true that higher ohms cans are hardsr to drive

Jun 24, 2010 at 9:48 AM Post #447 of 1,737

Quote:
Originally Posted by SemiAudiophile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
am i screwed? 

a bit.

I'd give them to someone experienced with soldering. It's quite tricky to catch the tiny wire going to the coil - if its still there and not burned in into the plastic. Try to take out the driver and examine it carefully - you can post a makro photo of the place where the metal part was.

Jun 24, 2010 at 10:24 AM Post #448 of 1,737

Quote:
they arent very hard to drive - but of course they do sound somewhat better with good amps

edit: its not always true that higher ohms cans are hardsr to drive

Thanks, that's good to know. I really want to be able to keep these and hopefully they'll sound OK with my portable setup until I can save up for a home rig.

Jun 24, 2010 at 12:40 PM Post #449 of 1,737
If they don't sound good out of your portable setup, the quick and cheap way to go is to take the Sextetts and a portable source to Goodwill and try out some vintage integrated amps or receivers.  You should be able to get something that drives them easily for under $20.

Jun 24, 2010 at 1:03 PM Post #450 of 1,737
Not a bad idea, thanks for the suggestion. I'll probably just reserve these for late night listening if my portable rig can't power them. I've got an Onkyo SR706 in the HT which will probably be able to power them adequately. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back