AKG K240 Sextett--Grado'd AKG?
Mar 6, 2010 at 9:57 PM Post #406 of 1,737
BeyerDynamic leather earpads are also comfortable with the Sextett's, while remaining their wonderful sound.

Mar 7, 2010 at 12:14 AM Post #407 of 1,737
Mr. Khali, mids and highs are brought up, just a little. It won't be a night/day difference, but if you feel compelled to A/B with your flattened stock vinyl pads (like I did) you will hear it. I was skeptical at first, because I tend to view all these tweaks as snake oil, but it was pretty obvious after A/Bing that there was a difference, although minute, and I preferred the KT88s.

For me though, I was interested in them for the comfort, so Tiemen's suggestion of Beyer leather is good too.

Rhythmdevils, thanks for the info. For those wondering where the tutorial is: here. I see you have some nice K140s. Those for me were the most uncomfortable cans EVER. My foam just died and gave up, so I cut off the pads, hoping to re-stuff them like I did K240 stock pads. Bad idea. I didn't damage the cans, but made it hard to even glue the pads back on again. Thankfully, BoilermakerFan suggested that Koss R10 pads might work, and I bought them for 5$.

Best investment ever. They came with a doublesided mounting ring, so if you cut the pads off the K140s, you can easily add R10 pads, without modding the bezel to accommodate other pads, like if you bought HD25 [doesn't come with mounting kit] or ESW9 pads [don't know about mounting]. Along with some of the mods that Boilermakerfan did, like putting some felt over the holes, some other stuff, I really love the K140s, and prefer them to the K240s on some days! I think I PM'ed you about this a while back, but I have the version with slits in the metal, which might be why they sound so great.

Mar 12, 2010 at 12:25 AM Post #408 of 1,737
For the 240K to be a sextetts, i heard it has to have both silver ear plate and six passive radiators.

What if it's gold ear cup frame & plate (K240 monitor) but still posses the six passive radiators: three white and three black? How do you classify this? and how does the sound differ?

thanks to anyone who can help.

Mar 12, 2010 at 12:43 AM Post #410 of 1,737
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhythmdevils /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I believe that would be an early version of the K240 Monitor. not a bad phone by any means, I read someone saying they preferred it to the Sextetts.

How are these early versions compared to the current models?
How is that these six passive radiators different than the sextette passive radiators?

Mar 12, 2010 at 1:28 AM Post #411 of 1,737
Well they're made with different materials I guess. If you read through this thread you'll see there's multiple versions of the sextett radiators as well. But I believe that your phones have 3 passive radiators and 3 vents, as AKG was realizing that they could get a similar, cheaper affect without the radiators. At least that's what I've gathered.

Mar 12, 2010 at 4:47 AM Post #412 of 1,737
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhythmdevils /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well they're made with different materials I guess. If you read through this thread you'll see there's multiple versions of the sextett radiators as well. But I believe that your phones have 3 passive radiators and 3 vents, as AKG was realizing that they could get a similar, cheaper affect without the radiators. At least that's what I've gathered.

I see, some are vents and not passive radiators. Hopefully the sound is close enough to the sextetts. Having gotten these free, don't want to have to buy real sextetts, if they are close enough.

thanks

Mar 12, 2010 at 5:03 AM Post #413 of 1,737
Quote:

Originally Posted by iPoodz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mr. Khali, mids and highs are brought up, just a little. It won't be a night/day difference, but if you feel compelled to A/B with your flattened stock vinyl pads (like I did) you will hear it. I was skeptical at first, because I tend to view all these tweaks as snake oil, but it was pretty obvious after A/Bing that there was a difference, although minute, and I preferred the KT88s.

For me though, I was interested in them for the comfort, so Tiemen's suggestion of Beyer leather is good too.

Rhythmdevils, thanks for the info. For those wondering where the tutorial is: here. I see you have some nice K140s. Those for me were the most uncomfortable cans EVER. My foam just died and gave up, so I cut off the pads, hoping to re-stuff them like I did K240 stock pads. Bad idea. I didn't damage the cans, but made it hard to even glue the pads back on again. Thankfully, BoilermakerFan suggested that Koss R10 pads might work, and I bought them for 5$.

Best investment ever. They came with a doublesided mounting ring, so if you cut the pads off the K140s, you can easily add R10 pads, without modding the bezel to accommodate other pads, like if you bought HD25 [doesn't come with mounting kit] or ESW9 pads [don't know about mounting]. Along with some of the mods that Boilermakerfan did, like putting some felt over the holes, some other stuff, I really love the K140s, and prefer them to the K240s on some days! I think I PM'ed you about this a while back, but I have the version with slits in the metal, which might be why they sound so great.

Nice, thanks for posting the link. I sold those my K140 and K141 to Boilermakerfan, but I do miss the K141, that was a sweet phone, and in some ways better than the sextett for reasons I can't explain

Mar 12, 2010 at 10:59 PM Post #414 of 1,737
Quote:

Originally Posted by sling5s /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How are these early versions compared to the current models?
How is that these six passive radiators different than the sextette passive radiators?

They aren't passive radiators on the K240M, they're paper vents with two different thicknesses. They hadn't designed a new baffle plate yet, so they just put the paper vents in the spots where the passive radiators originally went.

Mar 12, 2010 at 11:03 PM Post #415 of 1,737
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They aren't passive radiators on the K240M, they're paper vents with two different thicknesses. They hadn't designed a new baffle plate yet, so they just put the paper vents in the spots where the passive radiators originally went.

Paper vents. That's lousy. I guess these will be nothing like the sextetts than.
Do the sextetts sound that different?

Mar 26, 2010 at 11:49 PM Post #416 of 1,737
So I refreshed the elastics by picking up a few hair elastics from the dollar store but now my wire covers have some really weird gap tolerances on them, can anybody help me out with why they're like that?

EDIT: oops nevermind, I forgot to set the adjustment sliders all the way down...fixed now.

Apr 28, 2010 at 9:07 PM Post #417 of 1,737
the shape of screen can not be a mark to identify SEXTETT EP or MP.please refer the to pic of a Ebay Sextett mp.
20100428_8313ef92ef26437826eaLgEPFlzSkcYD.jpg

20100309_ad54670ee3f3180e9d4fwanC717A0tsm.jpg

May 19, 2010 at 1:39 PM Post #418 of 1,737
Just finished my Sextetts MP repairs - I bought them blind hoping that they're ok. they weren't:

- 1 screen was badly broken and bended
- 1 baffle was badly broken
- 3 of the small screens were deatached
- 2 of the small screens were broken, one bended
- pads, elastics issues

What I did:

- I repaired the screen by melting the plastic along the break lines (using soldering gun)
- I couldn't repair the baffle by glueing or melting the plastic, so I just repaired the three small screens and glued them back, wchich stabilised and secured the baffle. the outer ring holds everything together.
- elastics tightened, pads repaired with Kabeer mod
- added new inner foams (the old ones were glue-like)

Luckily all the passive radiators were ok. Now they look and sound wonderful. I wasn't expected such a nice sound :) Definetely one of the better AKG's I have had - and definetely a keeper :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back