AKG K240 Sextett--Grado'd AKG?
Aug 17, 2009 at 11:39 PM Post #331 of 1,737
Any particular preference of cable to use when re-cabling these? My main objective would be to get something with a nicer feel because the stock cable is like a liquorice straw
tongue.gif
I'd like to keep them single entry too, so I'd need something fairly light-weight. Oh, and I've never re-cabled before, so do I just need to get a cable that's popular with other headphones here and a stereo TRS plug, or are there hidden dangers like I need to be careful about matching certain statistics etc? As for the actual process, I should be fine with that.

Sep 1, 2009 at 1:33 PM Post #332 of 1,737
Well I finally have new elastics and pads for these. They appear to be late production too, if I didn't say that earlier. The mid range is more forward than any other headphone I own (though that's not hard to do considering what I have
tongue.gif
). Treble is a bit tipped up compared to the K601, but has what I'd describe as a "metallic" sound to it (though still not really fatiguing to me). Bass is punchy, more so than the K601 at times, yet still not particularly bloated. They seem to hold speed and detail as well as the K601 though.

Nothing too great with orchestral for me, as things that sound like they should have space and distance come too far up sometimes. Female vocals are an odd one on these for me too; they sound too edgy, even if the tone isn't too bad. Rock can really get these going with the somewhat forward sound, though those metallic highs are a bit odd depending on what recording. They even managed to make Coldplay sound a little less compressed than usual.

Verdict? I haven't heard a Grado headphone before, but going off descriptions, the title of this thread seems to bag it. A strange mix indeed. Perhaps these will suit well for those who like the AKG kind of sound but want to put a bit more rock in it.

Note: The stock cable is already peeing me off. It has such horrible texture. If you want one of these, get a recabled one or recable it yourself, even if just for texture and flexibility!

Sep 25, 2009 at 4:49 AM Post #334 of 1,737
Helluva deal - gotta love those yard sales.

Sep 25, 2009 at 5:54 PM Post #337 of 1,737
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnw /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well they sound great

but i'd like to put different pads on,where can i get some that will fit?

Earpads from the DT770 (velour and leather) and the GMP250 will fit.
You can also try new K240/272 vinyl and/ or velour pads.

Sep 25, 2009 at 6:06 PM Post #338 of 1,737
They sounded great when I owned them, but then my Millet Hybrid broke down, prompting me to sell them. I'd like to hear the EP or MP versions again, as the ones I had were LPs (and by opinion, least bass).

Sep 25, 2009 at 9:14 PM Post #339 of 1,737
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnw /img/forum/go_quote.gif
noob here, joined just to learn about these headphones

i picked a pair up at an estate sale for $2

and from what i see on this thread
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/k24...onitor-442491/
they're ep sextetts

a few scratches on the silver and the elastic is dead

What a nice way to enter Head-Fi. Welcome!
biggrin.gif

$2 is a screaming deal, especially for the magical ep version. I love mine for what they are....

Oct 5, 2009 at 8:31 PM Post #340 of 1,737
hmmm, well i have come to a sad conclusion, since i don't have a good amp, nor can i afford one, im selling them to someone who will be able to enjoy them fully, just... i have no idea as to how much they are worth
confused_face(1).gif

Oct 5, 2009 at 9:54 PM Post #341 of 1,737
I listen to my Sextetts with my ipod all the time, and though a better amp sounds better, they still sound great. The sextetts with ipod sound better to me than most other headphones on the best amps. Because even though soundstage, seperation, detail, etc is imporoved with better amps, they still have that magical tonality that makes instruments sound so real, they disapear unlike most phones

Oct 6, 2009 at 9:15 PM Post #342 of 1,737
I've fallen in love with my Sexytetts for like the 6th time, though the EPs for once. The sewer grating on my ear thing isn't too cool though and I guess I'll have someone with motor skills stuff panty hose in there or whatever. Any effects on the sound when you do it? I'm thinking my ears will be closer to the driver so maybe more bass, is that the case?

Oct 7, 2009 at 5:59 AM Post #343 of 1,737
I prefer the MP version - truly a unique and excellent sounding headphone. A keeper and a collector.

Oct 7, 2009 at 8:00 AM Post #344 of 1,737
Quote:

Originally Posted by GuyMe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've fallen in love with my Sexytetts for like the 6th time, though the EPs for once. The sewer grating on my ear thing isn't too cool though and I guess I'll have someone with motor skills stuff panty hose in there or whatever. Any effects on the sound when you do it? I'm thinking my ears will be closer to the driver so maybe more bass, is that the case?

I've never done a direct comparison, but if you think about the fact that there is probably about 60% less material between you and the driver, that's pretty much what it sounds like...
biggrin.gif
It's a must though for comfort.

Nov 13, 2009 at 4:19 AM Post #345 of 1,737
For a little perspective, I was a Sextett (EP) listener for two years. I had a set of DT880s I sold because I never listened to them. I had a set of Grado SR80s I couldn't stand in comparison.

A few days ago, my six year old did a number on my Sextetts (I hope to fix them, and I'm pretty adept with a soldering iron, if I do say so myself). Today I bought a pair of RS2s off a fellow Head-fi-er.

The RS2's are better. Period. There's more detail in the upper mids, there's the same or more bass, and it's more detail, and contrary to what I've seen some people say, they aren't overly bright, and that's coming from someone who's sensitive to brightness and sibilance.

I dearly love my Sextetts and I'll spend the next couple of days which I have off trying to fix their shattered innards (honey-do list be damned), but I've come to realise that they are not the be-all and end-all of headphones. Don't pay $350 for them.

Having said that, I really hope I can fix them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back