AKG K240 Sextett--Grado'd AKG?
May 15, 2012 at 2:28 PM Post #857 of 1,737
I believe you. Thing is that if music does not sound good through my Monitors or my old CD-players (16 bits sound good, hey!) I will probably not play the music again. I usually hope any contemporary CD at least has been decently produced and mastered.

You can't imagine how happy I was when the XX album turned out to sound good... 

May 15, 2012 at 3:25 PM Post #858 of 1,737
I think the issue is not with the medium, but with the mastering

The resolution on modern equipment can be breathtaking

of course! tape,cd,vinyl,reel to reel,ect. all can sound absolutely amazing if the mastering is good itself. i might use whole bunch of gear older than i am(amps,headphones, some speakers,ect.) but i still use my computer and audio interface as my main source for music. it's just convenient for me( and lot of stuff sounds awesome too). i still listen to tapes and vinyl though since i grew up on that when i was little cause my parents still had that stuff.

May 15, 2012 at 7:54 PM Post #859 of 1,737
I have some extremely well mastered CD's but the vinyl counterparts almost always sound better.  I do A/B comparisons (with both playing at the same time) and the vinyl usually has better bass, better sound-stage and it's much less fatiguing.  The only thing that beats vinyl are 24/96 (or 192) KHz files that are direct from the original master.

This is coming from a guy who hated vinyl a year ago...I just hated the concept of it and I even hated people constantly saying how much better it is. 
smile.gif
  But after listening to it at a friends, I was blown away and now I find it very hard to listen to my best sounding CD's.  (Kind of like going from DVD to Blu-ray.  No going back).

May 16, 2012 at 12:08 AM Post #860 of 1,737
Which of the K240s are sextetts or are they all sextetts? Got my eye on some that say "600Ohm K240 Monitors" on the back, black on gold. The guy doesn't know their age.

May 16, 2012 at 12:24 AM Post #861 of 1,737
Quote:
Which of the K240s are sextetts or are they all sextetts? Got my eye on some that say "600Ohm K240 Monitors" on the back, black on gold. The guy doesn't know their age.

The oldest variants of the K240's which utilize passive radiators are the ones which are referred to as the "Sextetts".  

Drop Stay updated on Drop at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/drop https://twitter.com/drop https://www.massdrop.com/?clickid=3QR3Ib27lyA-VkBRJwyGuQJeUkhUQvX5r0tLzQ0&utm_term=252901&utm_content=VigLink&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_source=impactradius&irgwc=1
May 16, 2012 at 5:22 AM Post #862 of 1,737
Quote:

The Monitors are completely different from the Sextetts. What you want (if you want Sextetts) is a pair of phones with a baffle that looks like this. The light-colored round things under the plastic grille may vary in color, but other than that, you want a baffle that looks that way.

May 16, 2012 at 6:49 AM Post #863 of 1,737
looking at that pic makes me depress in a way cause how nice those pads look compared to mine lol. need to seriously try to replace the pads on mine this weekend.

May 16, 2012 at 1:06 PM Post #864 of 1,737
Hmm, is the sound signature similar with the DF version? I've heard of a few people that prefer those over the regular Sextett.

For my own amusement yesterday I tried these straight from a Clip. Reminded me of how the DT-880 600 ohm sounded from one (not it's signature). Barely audible volume. Duh.
I was actually surprised that if I used a Clip to my Total Airhead (no LOD and power from Clip's amp) they sound quite good. I had to crank the Airhead to about 95% though. If I max it, then the red clipping light goes off occasionally. The only time there wouldn't be enough volume is when you're listening to classical music etc. Obviously I'd never buy a Sextett for use with a portable amp!

I guess it's nice to know that if I wanted to listen to my Sextett around the house this might work out. I've found the Airhead way more powerful than the E11. It uses 4 AA batteries and they last forever.

Still need to try the E9 with them. Should be OK. It seems the best amp for the AKGs i've heard is the Headroom Micro Amp (small, but same as a regular desktop amp). Has zero problems driving the Sextett. High Gain at around 40% volume.

Surprised that my Onkyo receiver drives these things extremely well. I know volume doesn't mean much but I could crank them high enough to damage my ear drums. Sounded good too. I even watched a whole movie using them without any complaints. There's tons of stuff i've never heard before in a movie i've seen at least a dozen times. Sounded better than the HD-600 and K601 for movies.

I think today i'll remove the Mogami cable and replace it with CA-0363. That super cheap wire seems to effect the highs a lot less than the Mogami. It actually seems to give the Q701 an impression of a little too much treble, but should be perfect for the Sextett. Luckily the Sextett is very easy to recable.

BTW loving these things now that I got them sounding good..finally. I think the reason the mids seem forward is due to the Mogami cable. I'll know soon.

May 17, 2012 at 6:30 AM Post #865 of 1,737
my DF's and sextetts sound similar to one another in most ways but DF's has a bit quicker/cleaner treble. i have to compare again later on to conform it. i been using my balanced sextetts lp's lately cause i had them stored away in their original box for months and decided to pull them out yesterday.i have them hooked up directly to the speaker outs of my serviced 1980's H/K 770 dual-mono power amp(with matching H/K 725 preamp) and my balanced Echo audiofire 2 interface as always my main source and never remember my sextetts sounding this good before. still floored me with their midrange tonality and love how overall they're tuned. super tight bass,well extended treble with plenty of air and a gorgeous midrange. the imaging is top notch too with correct bass dispersion similar to speakers in a ''dead'' sounding room(of course not as good/resolving as speakers though). surprisingly they're pretty resolving with good detail extraction and can easily pick up reverb tails in the air,effects/limiting used in bass kicks,ect. they actual do it pretty well.

i have to say though the DF's and sextetts are one of the few headphones i used and owned to find them being very chameleon like as good all-rounder(in my opinion and matter of preference of course) in most cases even though they're not in any way the best measuring headphones at all objectively. they just have that magic somewhere i can't put my finger on.

May 22, 2012 at 11:26 PM Post #866 of 1,737
Quote:
my DF's and sextetts sound similar to one another in most ways but DF's has a bit quicker/cleaner treble. i have to compare again later on to conform it. i been using my balanced sextetts lp's lately cause i had them stored away in their original box for months and decided to pull them out yesterday.i have them hooked up directly to the speaker outs of my serviced 1980's H/K 770 dual-mono power amp(with matching H/K 725 preamp) and my balanced Echo audiofire 2 interface as always my main source and never remember my sextetts sounding this good before. still floored me with their midrange tonality and love how overall they're tuned. super tight bass,well extended treble with plenty of air and a gorgeous midrange. the imaging is top notch too with correct bass dispersion similar to speakers in a ''dead'' sounding room(of course not as good/resolving as speakers though). surprisingly they're pretty resolving with good detail extraction and can easily pick up reverb tails in the air,effects/limiting used in bass kicks,ect. they actual do it pretty well.
i have to say though the DF's and sextetts are one of the few headphones i used and owned to find them being very chameleon like as good all-rounder(in my opinion and matter of preference of course) in most cases even though they're not in any way the best measuring headphones at all objectively. they just have that magic somewhere i can't put my finger on.

Thanks for the reply. I missed this one until today. I've been listening to my Sextett LP alot lately. It sounds very, very good. Almost addicting due to it's mids. I've actually found it not that difficult to drive at all. I mean, with this headphone, as long as it gets enough volume it always seems to sound good. With my Q701 if it gets enough volume, it can still sound bad.

I've actually found they sound quite good from my 3-5 years old Onkyo receiver. I went to Goodwill and found a full sized JVC CD player from 1996 with a headphone jack and i'm shocked that it can drive the 600 ohm Sextett amazingly well. What the heck?! It however makes the Q701 and K601 sound really bad. HD-600 and the KRK KNS_8400 are pretty good from it. With my DJ100, it recesses the mids somewhat, which is strange. Output impedance is probably too high.

So what's everyone's favorite thing about these other than the mids? I think for me it's the imaging and how accurate the soundstage is. It's not huge (with the correct tracks) but pretty good still. I've found it's even better than the HD-600. I actually don't find my pair on any amp/source to be really that neutral. It's mids are actually more forward than my DJ100. When I compared both, female vocals were much more forward on the Sextett. It could be that's how it was recorded and the Sextett is more accurate. Possibly. Hard to say if there is any change due to the Mogami recable I did. Probably not enough to make it's mids more forward.

Worst thing about them is that the bass is good, but a bit lacking in some areas. Not a big deal for me. Not much sub-bass, but no big deal. What's funny is that at first they had bloated bass. I don't know how that happened! Some weird amping/dac issue going on there.

Does anyone else love these for female vocals? I sure do. They might be in my top 3 now for that. It's so bizarre that these things sat in my closest and hated by them and all this time I had issues with what I was connecting them to. Weird.

I think these have nearly as much detail as my KRK KNS-8400! I think they can go head to head with my DJ100, K601 and KRK KNS-8400. K601 does a few things much worse, but I still love it. It sure does seem that these are a little less picky about amping than my Q701.

BTW does anyone know offhand how the signature compares to the Beyerdynamic DT-48e? Probably not similar in any way. I've heard the DT-48e has some amazing mids. I want to try one out sometime, but new they're still $399. yikes!

So, looks like this Sextett LP might be in my top 5 soon. Too bad my original screw and logo is missing
frown.gif

Might hunt down the DF sometime..I think i'd be even happy with even MORE treble. Just a tiny bit more.

May 23, 2012 at 10:06 AM Post #868 of 1,737
not too surprise the sextetts would sound great out of a cd player(probably cause source impedance is pretty low). i have older jvc and pioneer cd players here i think from the late 80's/early 90's and my sextetts and DF's sounded great and clean out of them(volume and dynamics limited though). the yamaha hp-1 ortho i had at one time sounded very nice out of them as well.

i think the sextetts do appreciate what you plug them into in a way like most good headphones or speakers as well. my sextetts i tried again yesterday testing solid-state grain theory/issues cause i never noticed it on my m-45 power amp,h/k 725 preamp and h/k 770 dual-mono power amp, so far i went back testing my flagship 1980's Yamaha R-9 class A receiver headphone jack and speaker outs. the headphone jack measures at 270ohm output impedance and 1v and my sextetts lp will sound bit warm but having gritty type treble that is bright, but the midbass pounds like no tomorrow. speaker outs of the same r-9 receiver it sounded cleaner and the bass was much tighter and less warm. while had great midrange still and awesome bass the treble still had that rough edge to it. stereo imaging was bit constraint compared to my other amps as well.

straight to the h/k 725 preamp it sounded clean,tight bass and the treble was actually not bothersome to me whatsoever for some reason,like it smoothed out and here i have impossible time detecting any form of grittness/roughness in the top-end and stereo separation was more open. my preamp has a 39ohm output impedance and tied directly to the pre-outs since the unit is completely discrete and no IC's so it does not use any type of op-amps/ic's for the headphone out(even the tone controls are resistor controlled).

same thing with speaker outs of my Yamaha M-45 class A power amp with my sextetts lp. nice strong tight bass extension,good stereo separation, clean sound across the spectrum and the treble had no grittiness/roughness to it. same with my H/K 770 dual-mono power amp speaker outs but i think it's bit cleaner than my yamaha and tad bit more open in the stereo separation since it uses big toroidal transformers/supplies for the left and right channel but i have to triple check on this one cause between the yamaha m-45 and h/k 770 it gets harder to discern the differences cause how clean both of them sound. all amps of course using same source@ -10dbv(cause i didn't want to overload and distort the inputs of my amps cause my preamp already can output 2v to the poweramps).

i never tried any headamps so i do not know how the sextetts respond to them. only thing i have closest to a headamp is my interfaces headphone out and right now i do not have an adapter on me to try the interface.

edit: yea,almost forgot. i think most people like the sextetts for more then just mids. yea people have different opinions but i personally think reason why the sextetts have lot of praise is cause they lot more things right then most other headphones. same with the DF's.

May 30, 2012 at 12:47 AM Post #870 of 1,737
Still loving this newly discovered headphone. All this time and never had it sounding right due to amp/dac issues. Yesterday I listened to it for about 4 hours all from a Sansa Clip to Total Airhead. No joke! Sounded perfectly fine and no flicking red (over voltage) light.
I was basically going A/B comparisons with my DJ100. At one point I got the two confused. When my DJ100 was on my head I thought I was listening to the Sextett still
confused_face_2.gif

It's basically nearly like a DJ100 on steroids. Ok, less bass, but more treble and a much improved soundstage. Possibly clearer, but not 100% sure on this yet. DJ100 is crystal clear with female vocals.

Most impressive thing by far is it's imaging. Is there a headphone with better imaging and a more accurate soundstage than the Sextett? Maybe the K701? Only kidding...

When listening to the Buena Vista Social Club CD you can hear with pinpoint accuracy where all the sounds are coming from, including the vocals switching directions, almost like someone is moving around in the soundstage.

It makes my day that maybe I finally might have a headphone that might very well top my DJ100 as a favorite. Maybe in a couple months.

Also good to know there is actually a portable amp that can drive the 600 ohm Sextett!! Just can't use it with a LOD cable.

These mids are really something else. Very full sounding and life-like, but never muffled or un-clear like on my HD-600.

Call me crazy if you want, but the Sextett has a few similarities to the HD-580 (which IMO is a slightly more aggressive HD-600 and sounds clearer).

Both the HD-580 and Sextett have slightly forward upper mids, smooth treble and rolled off sub-bass.

For my own amusement I want to do a A/B/C comparison of my HD-580, Sextett and DJ100
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back