AKG K240 Sextett--Grado'd AKG?
Mar 19, 2011 at 5:38 PM Post #661 of 1,737

Quote:
That's interesting. 
smile_phones.gif
  I have HD555's and HD650's at the moment, and to be honest, I think I'd prefer something "in between" !!

(Haven't heard the 595's or 600's yet, and haven't yet done the foam mod on the 555's ...)

i would do the 555 mods, makes a tangible difference.  If by something inbetween, do you mean you want something with more treble?  That's really the main difference between the two

Mar 20, 2011 at 5:42 AM Post #662 of 1,737
Yes, something like the HD650's but with a little more treble.

Mar 20, 2011 at 7:27 PM Post #663 of 1,737

Quote:
i would do the 555 mods, makes a tangible difference.  If by something inbetween, do you mean you want something with more treble?  That's really the main difference between the two

Yeah, I def agree. I've done the foam mod on my 555s and it really opens up the cans - makes them feel much bigger than before, and it certainly helps bring out the treble to a more balanced level (and I say this as a fan of bass).

That said, I'm finding that my LP Sextetts don't have as deep a bass as the 555s, but they do have much more detail and a very different soundstage. It was described as "almost binaural" by one listener (who also has a 240 DF)... not sure if this is exactly correct, but it does seem like a much more natural (and, to my ears, more interesting and warmer, "wrap you up in the sound") stage than most cans, including the 555's.

Mar 22, 2011 at 9:25 AM Post #664 of 1,737
I just received my pair, but is it me or do they sound shockingly like hd600s?

Shouldn't be the case. I personally find the Sextett to have syrupy mids and less bass extension/punch than the HD-600. The latter also reveals significantly more detail.

Either there is something wrong with your HD-600 or you received a superb-sounding pair of Sextett. :)

Regards.

Apr 6, 2011 at 4:20 PM Post #665 of 1,737
Hello,

I am thinking of buying a Sextett. Unfortunately I dot have a stronger amp. This week will receive hopefully my Fiio E7 and was thinking that maybe if I just buy Fiio E9 it will be enough to drive the Sextetts.
Does anyone have some experience with the E9 and Sextett combination?

Thanks
Regards

Apr 7, 2011 at 8:05 PM Post #666 of 1,737
The Fiio E7/E9 is a pretty powerful combination (so I've heard, anyway) and will likely power the Sextett with ease.

Anyway, after trying out two different pairs of MP Sextetts I left a little dissatisfied... so I picked up a set of AKG LP Sextetts, which look like they're in excellent condition (although they have the new style headband, boo). They're still missing on the detail like the K240M/600 and the two other Sextetts, but the LP really tightens up the bass, which I thought was muddy in the MPs and not hard-hitting enough in the K240Ms. This sounds fantastic for the price I paid. The presentation could be described as Grado-like, but doesn't have the immediacy that Grado headphones do, nor the aggressiveness or the sharpness. They have a wider soundstage than Grados, but nothing like modern AKGs (K501, K601, K701). However unlike Grados, they have a great balance of bass/mids/treble, and unlike modern AKGs, they just ROCK.

Apr 7, 2011 at 8:45 PM Post #667 of 1,737
The E9 can drive the Sextett LP with ease. I just tried it today I only had to turn the volume to about 30% I believe. It drives them better than my Asgard.

Quote:
Hello,

I am thinking of buying a Sextett. Unfortunately I dot have a stronger amp. This week will receive hopefully my Fiio E7 and was thinking that maybe if I just buy Fiio E9 it will be enough to drive the Sextetts.
Does anyone have some experience with the E9 and Sextett combination?

Thanks
Regards

Apr 29, 2011 at 9:00 PM Post #669 of 1,737
I think I have a small problem:

Whenever there is a sustained bass note of a certain frequency, there seems to be this rattling sound coming from only the left driver (I thought that playing these through a weak source was the case, but apparently not).  I'm not sure if it was there originally, chances are that they were, but is this a sign of a damaged driver?  Of things that could possibly come to mind, the wires coming from the driver to I guess the rest of the cable (single-entry) were around 28AWG (small) silver wire...I did open the left side more than the right and in pulling out the left driver the plastic on the circumference I remember deformed a little bit. 

I guess the questions specifically that I am asking are:
-Would any of the previous changes be the cause for this
-Is it possible to buy replacement drivers or do the sextetts use the same drivers as the K240 Studio/Monitor Headphones?
-Could the problem be in the passive drivers?

Whenever I do hear the sound my brain thinks voice-coil, but eh -

A track where this is quite apparent is:
Dir En Grey- Sa Bir

One more thing:
Blowing into the headphones (letting the passive drivers sort of crinkle) and repeating a few times seems to help a lot.  It's not nearly as apparent, but it is only a temporary solution.  Actually now I'm thinking the deteriorated foam might be causing some issues...

Apr 29, 2011 at 9:22 PM Post #670 of 1,737

Quote:
I think I have a small problem:

Whenever there is a sustained bass note of a certain frequency, there seems to be this rattling sound coming from only the left driver (I thought that playing these through a weak source was the case, but apparently not).  I'm not sure if it was there originally, chances are that they were, but is this a sign of a damaged driver?  Of things that could possibly come to mind, the wires coming from the driver to I guess the rest of the cable (single-entry) were around 28AWG (small) silver wire...I did open the left side more than the right and in pulling out the left driver the plastic on the circumference I remember deformed a little bit. 

I guess the questions specifically that I am asking are:
-Would any of the previous changes be the cause for this
-Is it possible to buy replacement drivers or do the sextetts use the same drivers as the K240 Studio/Monitor Headphones?
-Could the problem be in the passive drivers?

Whenever I do hear the sound my brain thinks voice-coil, but eh -

A track where this is quite apparent is:
Dir En Grey- Sa Bir

One more thing:
Blowing into the headphones (letting the passive drivers sort of crinkle) and repeating a few times seems to help a lot.  It's not nearly as apparent, but it is only a temporary solution.  Actually now I'm thinking the deteriorated foam might be causing some issues...

Take off the earpads and the plastic screen and inspect the radiators manually. If there's anything obstructing one of them (hair, foam, etc) carefully get rid of it. If not, you may have an issue, since IIRC you can't directly access the diaphragm of the driver.

The K240 Sextett driver is not the same as the K240M (different driver diameters). I've never tried contacting AKG for replacement drivers but I do believe the old silver K140 has the same drivers as those in the Sextett, and tend to be a little cheaper than buying a Sextett.

Apr 29, 2011 at 9:31 PM Post #671 of 1,737
Thanks for the reply.  The only problem is that I do not believe that I can pry off the screen from this pair...I originally tried before to do the screen mod for comfort, but I think they're glued on a little too sturdily.  My primary concern is if this seems like a problem of damaged drivers.  They can reproduce the rest of the frequency spectrum quite beautifully, so I just know that they're not 100% blown.

Apr 29, 2011 at 9:35 PM Post #672 of 1,737
Whoops, forgot some Sextetts have the screen glued on. Maybe just look through for hairs or anything...
Does the rattling get worse with more bass? More volume? It doesn't *sound* like a driver problem to me, but what do I know...

Apr 30, 2011 at 3:57 AM Post #673 of 1,737
If you can't blow air into it, sometimes just blasting the music and shaking the headphones will dislodge whatever dirt is in there. Doesn't hurt to try...

May 5, 2011 at 10:35 PM Post #675 of 1,737
I found something out really interesting today....

First off I made an HD-650 cable with Canare Starquad. I like it and it was an improvement over the stock cable in most areas. It did seem to add in some extra mid-bass and rolled off the highs, more so than stock.

It took me awhile to figure out the changes the Canare made to my Koss Pro DJ100 that I recabled. After a few days I realized it just wasn't the same and the sound wasn't as clear and was even worse than the stock cable, but it had a lot more detail. The treble seemed to also go out the window. It also didn't have the same mids I was addicted to. I double checked the connection and it's OK.

Ok, so what's my point? Well, a few months ago I got a Sextett LP and I always disliked it. I love it's sound signature but my major complaint was that it wasn't very clear sounding. Very muffled. The reason is that it does not like Canare Starquad cable. I did a temporary fix (don't cringe) and attached an HD-650 cable to it. Problem fixed. Now it sounds a lot more clear (despite the HD-650 cable not being that great) and it's much brighter. Previously the thread topic made no sense to me.

Maybe eventually I'll redo it with a Mogami cable. What's the most neutral wire to use? I figure Mogami will be good. Canare and the HD-650 is not good due to it smoothing over the treble.

BTW did you all know you can use Beyer Dynamic DT-880 pads with them? If you have a Beyer headphone, don't steal them off your headphone because it stretches the pad out slightly and ruins them. The velour pads are not suggested of course! I'm one of those weird people who prefer pleather.

So now I kind of have a brand new headphone. Thinks that I wasted all my time with making a Canare cable for two headphones. Maybe it will just work better with different headphones. I wonder why the sound clarity gets so degraded with the Canare Starquad?

EDIT:

I've been listening these for about an hour now. Can't believe how much better they sound. This makes no sense to me. Man, these things sure do have a ton of detail. I was listening to a song and I felt I heard something in one of my songs I heard a thousand times. Away from the microphone the singer is saying something so silently over and over that it's almost meant to not be heard. On my K702 and HD-650 it's just barely there and very easy to overlook it and not even realize it's there. OK, maybe they're not detail monsters, but they have me fooled. This pair seems to have quite a lot of mid-bass. Not as bright as the K702 but I like that. Feel like I just got a new headphone. I kept saying they're like a DJ100 that's not as clear sounding, but now I'll have to compare them again once I figure out what cable is best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back