AKG K240 Sextett--Grado'd AKG?
Feb 27, 2011 at 12:30 AM Post #646 of 1,737

Quote:
I have two K240 Monitors, which are fairly similar, and I can extrapolate what the DFs sound like from the two. While I think they sound a little bit better in the treble, they're far too bright for normal listening. I'd prefer a clear upgrade anyhow.

Never heard that the 240M was overly bright before. I didn't find the 240S to be too bright. But we all hear differently and have different preferences. The DF was a significant upgrade over the 240S though. Curious what you'll eventually settle upon

Feb 27, 2011 at 12:59 AM Post #647 of 1,737
Hmm, I've owned two Sextetts and a 240M... I would not describe the 240M as bright. Maybe kinda "dull".

Feb 27, 2011 at 1:41 AM Post #650 of 1,737

Quote:
I've often read the DF described as being in between the K501 and the Sextett, or a cross between the 2.  Which is why I don't have enough interest to buy a pair. 

I'm in the reverse situation. I like the DF, and now I'm curious to hear the other two.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 27, 2011 at 5:07 AM Post #651 of 1,737
Who says the DF is between the 501 and the Sextett? Granted, I've never heard the DF and only experienced a crippled Sextett, but I have a hard time imagining the K 240 line in general getting anywhere near the soundstage of the 501, to begin with. But I guess those people were talking about some other characteristics?

The Sextett I had did remind me of the K 271 Studio, though.

Feb 27, 2011 at 2:27 PM Post #652 of 1,737
Sorry for the slightly off-topic question, but has anyone tried removing the black fabric behind the "vents" to make them open? Does this improve the soundstage at all? I'm guess air will still flow through this fabric so I imagine nothing will change. A fully open Sextett might be interesting. The soundstage of my Sextett never really impressed me.

Does the DT-48 E have any similarities to the K240 Sextett LP? I've asked before in other threads but never got a reply. I'm hoping it's similar with maybe a more clear sound. If I don't like my HD-650 (my "fun" headphone) I just ordered I may get the Beyer DT-48E.

Basically I want to find something like the Sextett, but with a more clear sound. Maybe something a little easier to drive.

Feb 27, 2011 at 3:57 PM Post #653 of 1,737
Don't forget...the dt48 is closed....and sounds like it. I'm afraid you won't get the soundstage you're after. Great clarity and detail in the midrange but rolled off somewhat in the low end....less highs than the DF, but not excessively rolled off, IMO..

Quote:
Sorry for the slightly off-topic question, but has anyone tried removing the black fabric behind the "vents" to make them open? Does this improve the soundstage at all? I'm guess air will still flow through this fabric so I imagine nothing will change. A fully open Sextett might be interesting. The soundstage of my Sextett never really impressed me.

Does the DT-48 E have any similarities to the K240 Sextett LP? I've asked before in other threads but never got a reply. I'm hoping it's similar with maybe a more clear sound. If I don't like my HD-650 (my "fun" headphone) I just ordered I may get the Beyer DT-48E.

Basically I want to find something like the Sextett, but with a more clear sound. Maybe something a little easier to drive.

Feb 27, 2011 at 7:08 PM Post #655 of 1,737

Quote:

If you find something, let me know!  The only 2 headphones that come close that I've heard are the LCD-2 and K340. 

the K340 has the same dynamic driver as the Sextett, so it sounds close to them but with electrostatic treble that is really clean and pure.  Unfortunately they are also brighter than the Sextett by quite a bit, too bright for me. 

Feb 28, 2011 at 6:03 PM Post #656 of 1,737
the lcd-2 is easier to drive than the 240, but given it's roughly 10x the cost and is more revealing you'd probably want to feed it with a quality source and amp.

Mar 14, 2011 at 11:54 PM Post #657 of 1,737

[size=medium]
I fell in love with a mod'd pair of Sextetts a few weeks ago, and I've just bought a pair on eBay (which are sloooowly and painfully making their way to me!) I've also discovered that my Dad (an aging audiophile himself) has had a pair of DFs in his cabinet for ages, without really appreciating them. Can't wait to do an A/B on them both!

That said, we're looking for some parts to keep them both in great condition - and I'm curious as to what mods are available for the Sextetts. Can anyone recommend some sites?
[/size]

Mar 19, 2011 at 5:20 PM Post #659 of 1,737

Quote:
I just received my pair, but is it me or do they sound shockingly like hd600s?

That's interesting. 
smile_phones.gif
  I have HD555's and HD650's at the moment, and to be honest, I think I'd prefer something "in between" !!

(Haven't heard the 595's or 600's yet, and haven't yet done the foam mod on the 555's ...)

Mar 19, 2011 at 5:38 PM Post #660 of 1,737
If anyone lives near me and would like to compare their hd580,600,650 to my sextetts i'd be up for comparison, I'm only comparing based on memory.  The sextetts have a good bit of bass  and silky mids along with calm highs and bring the hd600 to mind. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back