AKG K 701, Sennheiser HD650 or Beyerdynamic DT880?
Aug 8, 2011 at 2:56 PM Post #31 of 43
Indeed, a well-built CMOY does out-perform the E5 but how can you be sure that the CMOY you're getting from eBay actually has the specifications that are being advertised? I'd also expect the E5 to be more durable since it is not in an Altoids can... But yeah, the CMOY certainly does potentially perform better than the E5, which is not to say that the E5 doesnt measure up very well either. I was simply objecting to the objectively unfounded view that the E5 is not a 'real' amplifier since it is more than capable of driving most cans up to 300 ohms impedance, while being very compact in size and cheap.
Quote:
so compares with 30$ amps? cmoy > e5 any day.

Aug 8, 2011 at 2:58 PM Post #32 of 43
personally i wasnt too happy with the e5's performance.  "capable"  of driving doesnt mean it does a good job.  by capable, are you saying, youre able to get sound out of a 300 ohm headphone through the e5? or that the sound coming out is refined as if it were a more expensive amp.  

Aug 8, 2011 at 5:14 PM Post #33 of 43
There is no such thing as a 'refined' sound from a headphone amp. The amp's job is simply to satisfy the power requirements of a headphone, it is not meant to change the sound in any way. An amp is something you buy to fix a specific problem (typically that the impedance of a pair of headphones is too low or too high for a particular DAC), not something thats useful (or even desirable) in general. If it colors the sound, this is an undesirable trait in an amplifier and is therefore a flaw. The E5 performs respectably well with headphones up to 300 ohms and since it has a low output impedance of 0.7 ohms, it is also great for low impedance headphones. 

The way I look at it is - I want to hear the music, not the amp. If the amp colors or otherwise changes the sound of the source in an audible way (with arguably pleasing harmonic distortion, for example), it is not doing its job.

Quote:
personally i wasnt too happy with the e5's performance.  "capable"  of driving doesnt mean it does a good job.  by capable, are you saying, youre able to get sound out of a 300 ohm headphone through the e5? or that the sound coming out is refined as if it were a more expensive amp.  

Aug 8, 2011 at 5:56 PM Post #34 of 43
By supplying the needed power, an amp does refine the sound. Eh I dono. I'm no science guy, I just know what my ears tell me.

Aug 8, 2011 at 6:16 PM Post #35 of 43
I have just received my Fiio E11 but I haven't been able to pick it up from the post office yet because I work late. Can't wait to test it with my current phones, 242 HD. I was going to get the K701 but I'm now considering the HD650. According to you guys it will be a better investment for the future regarding upgrading to a better sound system. I think I have a chance to test these babies before I make my decision. There suppose to be a hifi store nearby where I live that for sure carries K701 and HD650. 

Aug 10, 2011 at 1:47 PM Post #36 of 43
I have heard Q701 side by side with the HD650... Even though I would like to have them both, first I would choose the Q701 (I think the K's -witch i am waiting next week- are very close). They had a more open, detailed sound witch IMHO is more accurate. The 650s were for sure fuller sounding in the low end but as long as I am not a bass freak I preferred the airier more detailed (opposite to the rounder of the 650s) presentation of the 701s...
I repeat .. I would like to have them both!!!

Aug 10, 2011 at 1:48 PM Post #37 of 43
illusion of detail. thin bass, thin mids, slightly forward highs.  that was my impression of the q/k70x.  but im bias, i like fuller sound. 

Aug 10, 2011 at 8:02 PM Post #38 of 43
illusion of detail. thin bass, thin mids, slightly forward highs. that was my impression of the q/k70x. but im bias, i like fuller sound.

May have to do with the fact you have a decent rig behind the HD650. I think these claims of the HD650 lacking resolve is incredibly misleading. To me it responds without compromise to any changes in a system, which exposes its revealing quality.

Garbage in, garbage out, and the HD650 doesn't sugercoat the lack of resolution in a system through heightened treble or false soundstage.

Aug 11, 2011 at 5:48 AM Post #39 of 43
All 3 will please equally. I'm not a fan of K701 tonality at that price point, but it doesn't mean I don't think it'd still be a sweet setup.

I'd pick the DT-880 600ohm and this pair:

http://www.matrixelectronics.net/matrix-cube-24-192-asrc-dac-headphone-amp-p-186.html?zenid=l4g873e8k5ik0m05jib5mg7s23
http://www.matrixelectronics.net/matrix-m-stage-headphone-amplifier-amp-s-p-187.html?zenid=l4g873e8k5ik0m05jib5mg7s23

I'm assuming that if you don't have a DAC, your source might not be good enough to justify this big of a purchase, I'd get the Matrix Cube first and build a solid sound signature from the ground up if you're tight on money.

Aug 11, 2011 at 7:08 AM Post #40 of 43
Quote:
illusion of detail. thin bass, thin mids, slightly forward highs.  that was my impression of the q/k70x.  but im bias, i like fuller sound. 

I disagree and I love the HD-650, I generally prefer a fuller sound as well. I still find things to like about these headphones, they're pretty good at most genres and I'm not even sure what in the world "illusion of detail" could mean. Either you hear details or you don't, there's really not a step there where it turns out that it was a rabbit out of a hat
k701smile.gif

It takes awhile for these to become comfortable to the ears, the head, the skull, but when you get used to them, and them to you, it's a rewarding listening experience I think. But it's all opinion, I respect your perspective.

Aug 11, 2011 at 9:41 AM Post #41 of 43
illusion of clarity is what i meant.  the signature is adjusted so it seems like it has more clarity than other headphones.  again, my opinion

Aug 11, 2011 at 2:46 PM Post #42 of 43
When I hear "thin" sound the word "under-amplified" comes to mind!! And I am not speaking just for the low end but for the whole spectrum!
As we all know the 70x series are far from easy-driven headphones!!!
IMHO always!!

Aug 16, 2011 at 12:20 PM Post #43 of 43
I would go with the DT880 600 ohms. No part of the spectrum is veiled or underwhelming. The highs are nice and crisp, the mids are excellent, and the lows are deep and plentiful. The 650 has better mids because it is missing the highs and therefore you hear the mids better. The 702 is more balanced than the 650, but it is kinda shy in the bass area. The 880s are a great choice for any genre. You can hear all instruments very well, as opposed to the 650 or 702, which are specialized for certain instruments.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back