AKG K 701, Sennheiser HD650 or Beyerdynamic DT880?
Aug 6, 2011 at 11:36 PM Post #16 of 43
If you mainly listen to Jazz, I'd go with the HD650. If you want an all around can, I'd go with the DT880 600 ohms. Like the others have said, these headphones will not sound that great without a good amp. But with a good amp, they are the best headphones in the world. Spend twice as much on an amp as your headphones.

Aug 6, 2011 at 11:47 PM Post #18 of 43
The E11 drastically reduces the airyness of the K701, at least that's what it does for me. (can drive it pretty well otherwise though)

Aug 7, 2011 at 12:19 AM Post #19 of 43
all of them need a good desktop amp to shine, unless ur willing to spend more on RSA portables or a good desktop amp, id say dont get any of em.. how ever, i do have the K701 and it is extremely picky about amps.. If u want a good investment, get the HD650, it scales well as u upgrade and build a better system..

Aug 7, 2011 at 4:02 PM Post #21 of 43
I own several AKGs, including many vintage models.
Compared to the older models the K701 sounds too thin and way too bright... unhealthy and ear bleeding bright unless you have a REALLY dark source/amp. (No they were not underpowered, my Sextetts (MP) run very fine on the same amps)

(If you can can live with a tad less detail and sound stage, the K601 fixes almost any issues I have with the K701, bass, body, more neutral and less bright.)

Yes they have a huge sound stage, and incredible detail...
but if you intend to listen for longer period... consider the HD650 if you want to choose from the old "big three"

The 880s somewhat V shaped, but because they have more bass, you don't have the urge to turn up the volume to the level of a K701...
The mids are OK~ish.

BUT, there are great new contenders... as well as some vintage cans that might interest you.

Aug 7, 2011 at 4:22 PM Post #22 of 43
Surprisingly the Audinst HUD-MX1 drives the HD650 quite well. 

Quote:
If I had a better amp which headphone should I go for? And which portable amp would you recommend?

Aug 7, 2011 at 6:19 PM Post #23 of 43
I think the idea that the old "big three" are inferior is a fiction created by manufacturers to justify the sale of headphones that cost $1000 more than the previous sound kings! Hold the line, friends, hold the line, let us not be tempted by "technological advances" and similar exploitative nonsense! Down with the bourgeois!

Or, phrased, another way, this sucks, I finally have them all and now they're all of a sudden mid-fi? 
angry_face.gif
How convenient. Harumph.

Aug 7, 2011 at 11:02 PM Post #24 of 43

Quote:
I think the idea that the old "big three" are inferior is a fiction created by manufacturers to justify the sale of headphones that cost $1000 more than the previous sound kings! Hold the line, friends, hold the line, let us not be tempted by "technological advances" and similar exploitative nonsense! Down with the bourgeois!

Or, phrased, another way, this sucks, I finally have them all and now they're all of a sudden mid-fi? 
angry_face.gif
How convenient. Harumph.

X2 Big time.  While the new dynamic flagships and orthos certainly have their advantages, there's no denying the quality of sound one gets with the former big three.

Aug 7, 2011 at 11:31 PM Post #25 of 43
Haha well I can tell you what I'm going to do, OP: Buy all three! I currently own K701s (after I started getting into audio on HD555s and later HD595s) and by this time next year my goal is to have the Big 3 and decent gear to drive them :)

Aug 7, 2011 at 11:54 PM Post #26 of 43
      Quote:

X2 Big time.  While the new dynamic flagships and orthos certainly have their advantages, there's no denying the quality of sound one gets with the former big three.

Yep. I'm not saying that I'm going to go all Luddite and dismiss genuine advances in sound reproduction or anything, but the perception of what is "mid fi" versus "high fi" has gotten pretty ridiculous since I first got into the hobby. At one time Sennheiser's HD-580, HD-600, and HD-650 were all flagship headphones. They are fantastic sounding cans. I love my 650s tremendously, and they're not the white acoustically-transparent material (surrounding and helping to protect a driver that is by appearances pretty much identical despite claims to the contrary (which I personally question if only because Sennheiser could make bank saying the change means improved sound quality, I mean, audiophiles will go nuts over any chance to get a slight improvement, I kinda feel Sennheiser would be smart enough to toss in an "oh, by the way, HD-650...MK2!" (but then again, who asked me))).

And the AKG Q701 (which I got primarily because they were, at the time of purchase, a fair $35 or so cheaper than the K701 or K702) still knock me out with their detail and soundstage, whatever a writer retrospectively dismissing those that were once giants has to say.

I don't own the DT-880, I own the DT-770 and DT-990, in 250ohm, because I'm cantankerous and I don't think the 600ohm makes much of a difference. But Beyer has made and continues to make gorgeous sounding headphones with an excellent combination of spacial impression of the sound (granted, within a narrower field than AKG K offspring, but nonetheless very detailed) and high quality, low mass drivers that bring the goods. These are not "mid-fi," they're just not $1300. Considering they can be had in the Pro variants with the same 250ohm driver for around $170, they're what you call a tremendous friggin' steal, and charging 8 or 9 times as much doesn't mean they're crap by comparison.

All these used to run closer to the current rate of the Sennheisers. Only Senn has held the line with their pricing, perhaps artificially given that their worthy competition has lowered their price as the market has shifted (and I think it's no coincidence that of the old "big 3" only the HD-650 still get the "well, there is the new one, but these are still world-class headphones" nod - money = quality, we're wired a bit to think that I think). But the price drops are great, really - if anything it means that the point of diminishing returns gets lower and lower. That's AWESOME for buyers, though I guess it may not be rewarding if you want to say you have the very tippy top best and most expensive headphones currently in production.

Quote:
Haha well I can tell you what I'm going to do, OP: Buy all three! I currently own K701s (after I started getting into audio on HD555s and later HD595s) and by this time next year my goal is to have the Big 3 and decent gear to drive them :)

That's what I'm talking about
beerchug.gif

Aug 8, 2011 at 1:37 AM Post #27 of 43

Thats beautiful man. *tear*

Aug 8, 2011 at 11:02 AM Post #28 of 43

Quote:

X3.. even tho i own orthos, i personally dont think that new technologies or new ortho drivers are etter.. I own the K701 and the HD580 (HD600) n i dont think that these are inferior to my LCD-2 or HE-5.. they all represent different kinds of sonic characteristics.. they all have strengths and weaknesses 
smile_phones.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back