AKG K 701 - I am excited
Oct 10, 2005 at 6:09 AM Post #136 of 210
Quote:

Originally Posted by ScubaSteve87
How is the AKG sound sig anyways? Compared to Grados?

depends a lot on the model, for example my K1000's have incredible detail and clarity on the mids and highs, but the lows roll off <120Hz... sooo not bass cans, but like i said, other AKG models are very different...

as far as what the K701's sound like? i dont know and i dont think anyone here does atm
smily_headphones1.gif

i hope to find out real soon tho
biggrin.gif

Oct 10, 2005 at 7:01 AM Post #137 of 210
That white really is quite disapointing. They look so much nicer in the photos on the AKG site. Be interested to see some more photos or opinions of people who have actually seen them. They still certainly have quite a lot of wow factor though. Bet they sound great too.

Oct 10, 2005 at 7:05 AM Post #138 of 210
Does anyone actually know what are the benefits of having:
-flat wire voice coil
-bi-wired oxygen-free
on akg 701?

since from my understanding these two are the only additional features that should make 701 sounds better than 601

Oct 10, 2005 at 11:57 AM Post #139 of 210
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cronstead
Does anyone actually know what are the benefits of having:
-flat wire voice coil
-bi-wired oxygen-free
on akg 701?

since from my understanding these two are the only additional features that should make 701 sounds better than 601

All the info I've found on flat wire voice coils edited into one block:
Flat voice coils are made from specially drawn wire that has been milled into a flat ribbon. Flat wire can be wound more tightly than round wire, putting more wire in the space available in the gap. Flat voice coils are precision edge wound, with multiple layers and staggered seams. Thanks to more surface area and voice coil wire compared to a traditionally wound speaker, better heat dissipation, higher power handling and efficiency are the results.
Musically this gives a more accurate transient response and dynamics even after prolonged use. According to AKG the main advantage is a more accurate treble.
I guess a good comparison would be overclocking a CPU. You can make a CPU accept more data with higher voltages, but this creates more heat and you need to keep the temperature low enough so it doesn't lock up. So what do you do? Stick a bigger heatsink on it to dissipate the heat better.

Oct 10, 2005 at 4:20 PM Post #141 of 210
Quote:

as far as what the K701's sound like? i dont know and i dont think anyone here does atm

There's been one impression somewhere.

Oct 20, 2005 at 12:10 PM Post #144 of 210
Quote:

Originally Posted by wincoach
Jan Meier wrote today:
"The first batch of K701s arrived today"

280smile.gif

smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 20, 2005 at 1:33 PM Post #145 of 210
Quote:

Originally Posted by wincoach
Jan Meier wrote today:
"The first batch of K701s arrived today"

280smile.gif

Where are the K601s
mad.gif

Oct 20, 2005 at 2:06 PM Post #147 of 210
Quote:

Originally Posted by gordolindsay
I just ordered my 701's last night!!! WOOOHOOO

You aren't going to sell your HD 650, are you? Because a HD 650 vs. K701 comparison is exactly what I would love to see
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 20, 2005 at 2:18 PM Post #149 of 210
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobby B.
You aren't going to sell your HD 650, are you? Because a HD 650 vs. K701 comparison is exactly what I would love to see
smily_headphones1.gif

Yeah, that's what many of us are eager for.

peacesign.gif

Oct 20, 2005 at 2:27 PM Post #150 of 210
Quote:

Originally Posted by rsaavedra
<------ Bites nails hysterically trying not to place order compulsively...

give in
wink.gif

i ordered mine a while ago, i think im #2 in line over at headroom
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back