Airpods pro
Nov 3, 2019 at 8:31 AM Post #107 of 527
I hope there is third party tips, this looks proprietary will there be such items?

I suspect third party tips won't work with the adaptive EQ and/or noise cancelation. I tried putting the foam from Symbio Mandarines in the AirPods Pro eartips and immediately I could tell the sound was negatively impacted. When I ran the Fit Test, it told me I had a bad fit in both ears (despite the fit actually being good).

Also, designing eartips that work with the custom mount is probably more effort that most eartip makers would be willing to expend.

I'd like to be wrong on this since I haven't been able to get a good fit with the stock tips. The AirPods Pro are neither an earbud or an IEM, but rather seem to be something in between, and without the deeper insertion of an IEM, I find the eartips start to lose their seal while I'm walking.

Nov 3, 2019 at 8:51 AM Post #108 of 527
I suspect third party tips won't work with the adaptive EQ and/or noise cancelation. I tried putting the foam from Symbio Mandarines in the AirPods Pro eartips and immediately I could tell the sound was negatively impacted. When I ran the Fit Test, it told me I had a bad fit in both ears (despite the fit actually being good).

Also, designing eartips that work with the custom mount is probably more effort that most eartip makers would be willing to expend.

I'd like to be wrong on this since I haven't been able to get a good fit with the stock tips. The AirPods Pro are neither an earbud or an IEM, but rather seem to be something in between, and without the deeper insertion of an IEM, I find the eartips start to lose their seal while I'm walking.

Given the market share of AirPods I’d be stunned if there wasn’t money in developing a third party tip. These pro’s will be one of the biggest selling headphones/earphones in the world before the end of the year is out.

Nov 3, 2019 at 9:32 AM Post #109 of 527
I think a spiral dot like tip with a wider bore may add to the sound signature- helped on my Lyra2 open the low end punch and offer a more airy presentation

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2019 at 10:31 AM Post #110 of 527
ANC appears to be dynamic and may affect sound. I got better performance when I listened in a quiet environment with ANC engaged.

Nov 3, 2019 at 11:01 AM Post #111 of 527
I have many things about AirPods Pro ANC being less efficient than WF1000MX3 but honestly I don’t think it’s so clear cut and I’d attribute the better isolation of the Sony to the passive isolation part of the equation as it has much deeper insertion and a fatter denser body. If anything the ANC performance of the shallow insertion AirPods Pro is very impressive...

Nov 3, 2019 at 11:08 AM Post #112 of 527
I have many things about AirPods Pro ANC being less efficient than WF1000MX3 but honestly I don’t think it’s so clear cut and I’d attribute the better isolation of the Sony to the passive isolation part of the equation as it has much deeper insertion and a fatter denser body. If anything the ANC performance of the shallow insertion AirPods Pro is very impressive...

My recollection of my brief time w/ the XM3 is they inserted similar to what I get with the Airpod Pros, what I'd call a medium'esque insertion. That said, the AP might be a better fit for my ear as they lock tightly against my concha like a good CIEM, that I don't recall getting w/ the XM3.

The difference is more likely the quality of the seal - the Airpods are vented.

https://www.apple.com/airpods-pro/specs/

"Vent system for pressure equalization"

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2019 at 12:08 PM Post #113 of 527
I never hear gen 1 or 2 AirPods but I am impressed by AirPod pro. I own Bose soundsport wireless and the comparison is interesting Bose tends to favor the low end but after listening to the AirPod pro(@45-50% volume )the bass is less but better quality. The Bose sound muddy.
AirPod pro high freq seem a tad to rolled off if that’s the correct term than I want.

But the overall sound signature is very pleasing for a truly wireless setup- good bass with some punch. Vocals seem nice

Nov 3, 2019 at 1:06 PM Post #114 of 527
My recollection of my brief time w/ the XM3 is they inserted similar to what I get with the Airpod Pros, what I'd call a medium'esque insertion. That said, the AP might be a better fit for my ear as they lock tightly against my concha like a good CIEM, that I don't recall getting w/ the XM3.

The difference is more likely the quality of the seal - the Airpods are vented.

https://www.apple.com/airpods-pro/specs/

"Vent system for pressure equalization"
I really like the Pro. I'm impressed with the ANC, and it's got to be better than the XM3 ANC. One thing I notice is that ANC on Pro depends on seal. Like for example, large tips fit me the best, and if I use small tips, the ANC isn't as effective. Apple surprised me how good their ANC tech would be.

Also, there seems to be come mixed opinions on the SQ of these. I think the issue could be the adaptive EQ. Looks like the way the EQ adapts is based on the acoustic sensors around the housing(which is likely effected depending on ear shape). Which is why my earlier measurement looked so bass heavy. If I seal off those acoutic sensor points, the bass levels down. This explains why the measurement and what I heard was different.

I do very much like the convenience of these with the squeezable click button. Really easy to go on transparency mode. The ANC is very useful in noisy situations when listening to music or talking on the phone, drowns out majority of the low-end noise. It seems very effective and performs quite well. ANC is very practical for pro, as a device for on the go. I was quite surprised how much of a difference it makes at the gym with ANC on.

In terms of microphone tonal quality, from what I've heard of the recordings from the reviews, it could be better. I've had people tell me they hear odd signal issues. Mixed result so far. From what I hear during phone conversations, wired mic perform better than these directional mics on wireless headphones/iems.

Signal quality on the other hand is supurb. I've tested what would happen if I have my phone if I sandwich it in my pocket on the exercise mat, covering with my body. Interestingly, the signal didn't cut off. With the Jabra 65t, I've had signal issues with this. Also, the signal is very stable over long distances as well.

Ok, the price is higher than most TW out there, but it has additionial practical features (including ANC which majority lack), and works seamlessly. Pro is definitely a keeper. It's not a wired iem, and I know I can get better sound (interms of resolution etc.), and I don't expect that level from wireless using AAC. It has no nasty peaks or overbearing bass, and therefore pretty balanced sounding, and I'm good with that. No issues with making out sounds clearly either, and for it's intended purposes, it works well.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2019 at 1:25 PM Post #115 of 527
how much functionality do these have without an iphone? or without an app? or without a phone altogether?

they say you can switch from noise canceling to transparency mode by holding touch, but what about turning the noise canceling off without transparency mode turning on? becuase if not then the noise canceling is perma on, which is bad because that lowers quality of sound and so is worse for when your in quiet environments.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2019 at 1:55 PM Post #116 of 527
This is a pretty good review with testing. You can hear the microphone quality. Tonality is not great, and these directional mics on them generally isn't. mics on wired sounds better. I'm on the same page with this guy on the quality of ANC being superior on Pro and a gimmick on the XM3. Probably the best way to know what ANC actually does is on the airplane on a flight. Try comparing a good ANC with ER4 triple flanges in an aircraft engine noise environment.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2019 at 3:57 PM Post #117 of 527
hej guys
i am thinking about the airpod pros.

I've had big toruble with iems, because i have huge ear canals. I finally found my solution that works (Symbio hybrid eartips)

would someone mind to provide me the diameter of the large tips? i think they are slightly oval so both dimension would be interesting.

thanks in advance

Phil

Nov 3, 2019 at 4:01 PM Post #118 of 527
hej guys
i am thinking about the airpod pros.

I've had big toruble with iems, because i have huge ear canals. I finally found my solution that works (Symbio hybrid eartips)

would someone mind to provide me the diameter of the large tips? i think they are slightly oval so both dimension would be interesting.

thanks in advance

Phil

image.png

Nov 3, 2019 at 4:19 PM Post #120 of 527
thanks.... i know that s, m and l are provided.... however i was interested in measurements. I know large can differ from manufacturer to manufacturer. shure foams are 15.5mm in large and sony large are 13.5mm

So i would like to know how many mm the airpod pro large tips have

thanks Phil

Users who are viewing this thread

Back