AirPods Max
Apr 6, 2021 at 2:32 AM Post #3,796 of 5,629
Just received my APM over the weekend and so far loving them. A question for the more knowledgeable. Is the tuning different between the three modes (ANC on, transparency and off)? I was listening to some metal and I swear the bass seemed to be a little heavier with ANC on, but maybe I'm just imagining it.

I don't think there is a notable difference between ANC on and off, which is kind of surprising as most other headphones are different in that regard.

Other than that, they might sometimes appear to have more/less bass because of a slightly different seal and especially the adaptive EQ that constantly tries to compensate for that. Just an idea, though.

Apr 6, 2021 at 2:19 PM Post #3,797 of 5,629
I don't think there is a notable difference between ANC on and off, which is kind of surprising as most other headphones are different in that regard.

Other than that, they might sometimes appear to have more/less bass because of a slightly different seal and especially the adaptive EQ that constantly tries to compensate for that. Just an idea, though.
Objective measurements from Jude show that there is not change between anc and transparency.

Any perception of performance difference like an increase in bass can probably be simply explained by how ANC’s isolation allows for a more isolated listening experience.

Apr 8, 2021 at 8:08 AM Post #3,799 of 5,629
So ordered AirPods Max today, and plan to compare them to my Bose QC 35 (I believe I have the first revision) as well as AirPods Pro on their ANC performance, which is the most important thing for a closed back headphone for me. Stay tuned if you are interested.

Apr 9, 2021 at 10:15 AM Post #3,800 of 5,629
So I'm not really "wowed" by the APM sound signature (haven't played with the headphone accommodations). They sound too neutral to me. I guess I'm a fan of a coloured sound. My ears are far from trained, but I guess I would say that I prefer more elevated mids and mid-bass (as opposed to sub-bass rumble). I remember enjoying the sound of the original B&W P5, back in the day. I want a pair of headphones that will really sound fun with Hip-Hop.

I think I'd like to return my APM and buy something else. Can anybody point me in the direction of a good thread debating what the best wireless headphones are? They don't need to be ANC-enabled.

Thanks a lot, guys. Enjoyed the camaraderie.

Apr 9, 2021 at 10:20 AM Post #3,801 of 5,629
So I'm not really "wowed" by the APM sound signature (haven't played with the headphone accommodations). They sound too neutral to me. I guess I'm a fan of a coloured sound. My ears are far from trained, but I guess I would say that I prefer more elevated mids and mid-bass (as opposed to sub-bass rumble). I remember enjoying the sound of the original B&W P5, back in the day. I want a pair of headphones that will really sound fun with Hip-Hop.

I think I'd like to return my APM and buy something else. Can anybody point me in the direction of a good thread debating what the best wireless headphones are? They don't need to be ANC-enabled.

Well I personally wouldn't call the APM "neutral" by any counts. It definitely needs some more present/elevated mids (upper mids IMO) and a small mid-bass bump for the reasons you state. Using accommodations (balanced) may help with the mids.

If you don't need ANC, look at the Panda, they do have a parametric EQ you can use (despite it being finicky to set up, the EQ is great) or even the P7 Wireless (if you can find them still). The NAD HP70 may also be up your alley. If you want something really cheap, check out the AKG N700NC M2, they're in the 150 price range right now and a great value for that price. All that being said, if you don't need the ANC the APM offers, then there will be lots of better options out there for the price.

Apr 9, 2021 at 10:31 AM Post #3,802 of 5,629

Consider giving B&O H95 a try, they are the only other wireless set I would consider from a SQ point of view... they have some issues but if you set them into neutral mode and don’t plan to use the ANC/Transparency, they should make you happy with the SQ and punchiness.

I owned both, ultimately choosing to keep the APM which worked better for my needs, but can’t deny the H95 sound great.

Apr 9, 2021 at 10:36 AM Post #3,803 of 5,629

Panasonic RP-HD610N, Shure Aonic 50, THX Pandas, Sony XM4, B&O H95 and HX, Amiron Wireless, B&W PX7.

Apr 9, 2021 at 11:14 AM Post #3,804 of 5,629

If you don’t want neutral and prefer fun, try the Sennheiser Momentum 3, Bowers and Wilkins PX7, or Sony 1000XM4. Although they’re fairly old now, the Beats Studio 3 Wireless has elevated low mids and a mid/high bass boost.

Apr 9, 2021 at 8:02 PM Post #3,806 of 5,629
To be totally honest with you all, applying the Audiorgram profile to the accommodations has made the sound so much better for me and is compensating for my wonky ears. This morning, I have turned off the Audio Accommodations that does not use the Mimi Hearing Test Profile and the music sounds remarkably flat and dull.

Worth a try for those who have not done it? I am surprised but when listening stuff on my Ipad it will be dull and flat listening (Don’t get my wrong it is still good) but just not as good when applying the Mimi Hearing test profile.
Holy Molybdenum!

Apr 9, 2021 at 8:13 PM Post #3,807 of 5,629
If you don’t want neutral and prefer fun, try the Sennheiser Momentum 3, Bowers and Wilkins PX7, or Sony 1000XM4. Although they’re fairly old now, the Beats Studio 3 Wireless has elevated low mids and a mid/high bass boost.
I owned the WH-1000XM4’s for a month before I got a haircut on eBay. Underwhelmed by the sound and the operation. I did not take to the “finger slider”.

That’s me. Know this I respect everyone here.

Apr 9, 2021 at 10:10 PM Post #3,809 of 5,629
The XM4s are completely outclassed if we’re comparing them to the APM, the Senns and the Bowers headset. They might have better ANC but sound quality and aesthetics just aren’t there.
They rank up their with the Pandas. But to each their own. It's nice to have diversity in the hobby :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back