AirPods Max
Apr 3, 2021 at 4:35 AM Post #3,766 of 5,629
I’ve noted a big difference in quality when using LDAC on my Pandas, XM3, and XM4 cans. Everything cleans up especially on the XM3 and XM4. To my ears, they make a huge difference. I’ve used LDAC sources like the FiiO M6, Sony DMP-Z1 and the Sony NW1Z. Everything sounds much cleaner than when using AAC without EQ on any iOS device when using the XM3 and XM4. Drop added a firmware on SoundID that made the Pandas sound even better on stock EQ and their wide range of EQ adjustments only make them better. The Max are still limited, as even on Apple’s own EQ presets on their Music tab under settings change nothing, but yet you can change the sound on the AirPods Pro. Very puzzling, indeed. The Max do sound good than what most wireless cans output. But you need to play with sources more to get the most out of all the codecs that are available with other headphones to really get the sound that you like.
No, I don’t want ‘to play with sources’. I want to use wireless headphones that just do what they are supposed to do: produce excellent musical sound. The APM do that and much more, as least as long as you use Apple stuff.

Apr 3, 2021 at 4:49 AM Post #3,767 of 5,629
No, I don’t want ‘to play with sources’. I want to use wireless headphones that just do what they are supposed to do: produce excellent musical sound. The APM do that and much more, as least as long as you use Apple stuff.
My reply was to neil74 of how I approach it, not you.

Apr 3, 2021 at 5:03 AM Post #3,768 of 5,629
I did that just now. I notice the bass keeps getting weaker as you go up the ladder. No way to fix that to make it fuller along with the other sound improvements?
Unfortunately not. Hence the limited options Apple gives you. By that same token, the APM are kind of already bassy in their stock setup. You could intentionally use Mimi and lie about the bass frequencies. Though even that could be difficult. 😂
Having said all of that, do people on here use the settings in iOS's headphone accommodation? What's the verdict on that after a couple of months now?

I turned it on for now l, using the balanced setting and the slider completely on the left.

What do you guys use?
This is what I’ve been using. The other option would be to use Mimi or some other app to make a custom sound profile. Those are essentially a hearing test so the sound profile is adjusted based on your hearing. I haven’t tried it though. Search this thread for more info.

Apr 3, 2021 at 5:17 AM Post #3,769 of 5,629
Unfortunately not. Hence the limited options Apple gives you. By that same token, the APM are kind of already bassy in their stock setup. You could intentionally use Mimi and lie about the bass frequencies. Though even that could be difficult. 😂

This is what I’ve been using. The other option would be to use Mimi or some other app to make a custom sound profile. Those are essentially a hearing test so the sound profile is adjusted based on your hearing. I haven’t tried it though. Search this thread for more info.
That could be used with the AirPods Max? If so, to play around a bit with it would be interesting. I like experimenting

Apr 3, 2021 at 5:19 AM Post #3,770 of 5,629
That could be used with the AirPods Max? If so, to play around a bit with it would be interesting. I like experimenting
The mimi app is setup to test using generic apple ear buds I think. If you do the test using these you'd get a profile you could use with your AirPods max.

I am pretty sure the other sound accomodations are compressing select frequencies, not sure if using hearing profiles is also using compression or straight up EQ.

Apr 3, 2021 at 1:10 PM Post #3,771 of 5,629
Yeah, I know that and already tested it three times. It didn't make an audible difference for me, though. My custom sound profile sounded pretty identical to the stock Apple one while turning the headphone accommodation settings do at least make a clear audible difference.

Apr 3, 2021 at 1:49 PM Post #3,772 of 5,629
Having said all of that, do people on here use the settings in iOS's headphone accommodation? What's the verdict on that after a couple of months now?

I turned it on for now l, using the balanced setting and the slider completely on the left.

What do you guys use?
Use whatever sounds best to you!

I and most people use the default but there are some in the forum who talk about balanced and others treble. Honestly, just use the setting on these that you enjoy the most.

Apr 3, 2021 at 2:11 PM Post #3,773 of 5,629
Yeah, I know that and already tested it three times. It didn't make an audible difference for me, though. My custom sound profile sounded pretty identical to the stock Apple one while turning the headphone accommodation settings do at least make a clear audible difference.
Do you mean the custom stuff from Mimi and others didn’t make an audible difference? That is a possibility. I actually haven’t used them, just list them as an option.
Use whatever sounds best to you!

I and most people use the default but there are some in the forum who talk about balanced and others treble. Honestly, just use the setting on these that you enjoy the most.
Treble is a bit much, but does end up giving you more of a V-shaped sound. I prefer either balanced or vocal for the APM.

Apr 3, 2021 at 2:22 PM Post #3,774 of 5,629
mimi was interesting. I ran it once using the default "buds" parameter. I did see there was a selection for over-ear. I have not figured out what to do with the results, I suspect I won't be able to tell much as mimi said I have very pedestrian hearing. Thank you T-392 !

On another note, as my APM's continue to bloom (reality or imagined) I've been dusting off the lost music library and came across something fun Id like to share with the young people that might not know this genre. Here is Quentin Tarantino's fav. The original California 60's surf sound "The Ventures" 64' Walk Don't Run. Wipeout is another Ventures standard. And I must mention most anything by Dick Dale and His Deltones Dick was a guitar master. He was left handed, didn't have a left handed guitar so he took a right handed guitar and played it upside down. Lord have mercy.

Apr 3, 2021 at 2:40 PM Post #3,775 of 5,629
Do you mean the custom stuff from Mimi and others didn’t make an audible difference? That is a possibility. I actually haven’t used them, just list them as an option.

Treble is a bit much, but does end up giving you more of a V-shaped sound. I prefer either balanced or vocal for the APM.
Yes, I meant the Mimi hearing test and the custom setting it creates.

Apr 3, 2021 at 3:51 PM Post #3,776 of 5,629
Which makes me come to price. Well, only comparing their initial release prices for fairness sake, the M3 were 399€ and the Airpods 600€ here which is a whopping 200€ difference. If you want to match the 2 year warranty that the Sennheiser offer, you have to buy Apple Care+ for another 59€. And don't forget the 39€ for the audio cable that the M3 already come with. Not everyone needs both of that, obviously, but the price difference can go up to 300€ here.

The APM, however, is not a 300€ better headphone than the M3 for me. Definitely not in pure sound quality. I'm deeply im the Apple/iOS eco system, though, so the convenience factor is a big one here.

All things considered, I will still keep the APM, mainly because of their excellent ANC, transparency mode and call quality. The sound quality is really good but not a reason to pay 600€ on them. They are excellent but very pricey allrounders, though. The M3 on the other hand still have a lot going for them, especially if you are on Android/Windows.

Worth noting about the Momentum 3, it’s often available cheap, at the moment B stock on Sennheiser outlet are £170, and i picked mine up for £220. That’s a gargantuan difference in price, heck you could M3s and some nice open backs for the APM.

The more I read the more I think the APM really are for those with deep pockets, they’re kind of like a luxury whiskey or similar. Not heaps better than alternatives, but just about the best at everything for a massive premium.

Apr 3, 2021 at 3:52 PM Post #3,777 of 5,629

What do you guys use?
I use my own audiogram from the Mimi hearing App. I think it sounds very much closer to the balanced setting with slider completely left Than to the factory setting.

Apr 3, 2021 at 6:35 PM Post #3,778 of 5,629
Hi folks!
I just bought the APM and have a couple of questions in terms of best sound quality possible with them.
For BT... Apple Music ACC better than Spotify Premium?
Do wired APM sound better than in BT mode? if so... adding a DAC/AMP goes further in this field?
I guess these questions have been made already, but I missed the answers... thanks!

Apr 4, 2021 at 10:06 AM Post #3,779 of 5,629
Hi folks!
I just bought the APM and have a couple of questions in terms of best sound quality possible with them.
For BT... Apple Music ACC better than Spotify Premium?
Do wired APM sound better than in BT mode? if so... adding a DAC/AMP goes further in this field?
I guess these questions have been made already, but I missed the answers... thanks!
BT - All converted back into AAC to the APM in any case... not so much a format difference but a mastering difference. I preferred Tidal when I did my comparison~ YMMV

I found that my iFi Diablo does improve the APM, but its mostly in terms of gain. Sound signature was largely the same. And as pointed out countless times, you're double converting the digital signal -> analog -> digital -> analog because of the 3.5mm to lightning cable... Not worth the investment imo even though I noted improvement.

Apr 4, 2021 at 12:53 PM Post #3,780 of 5,629
This week I had I took ownership of a the APM as I am in the eco system, with Mackbook Pro, Ipad, Iphone (Work Issued) and Watch. So this afternoon I downloaded the mimi hearing app on my phone and did the test as I know that my hearing in my left ear is degraded slightly when compared to my right. The tests showed this and allowed it to access my health app on my phone and the custom audio settings allowed it to use the audiogram profile of this test! All going well so far :L3000:

then switched to my IPad the main source of using the APM and I cant get the audiogram settings as Ipad does not have the health app so I am stuffed! Seems stupid to be honest that the custom settings based on my hearing test can only be used on the iPhone and not the Ipad :angry:

the mimi hearing test app is on ipad and account synced but I am stuffed, unless my fellow Head-Fi oracles know something?

Shaun

Users who are viewing this thread

Back