AirPods Max
Apr 4, 2021 at 6:46 PM Post #3,783 of 5,629
This week I had I took ownership of a the APM as I am in the eco system, with Mackbook Pro, Ipad, Iphone (Work Issued) and Watch. So this afternoon I downloaded the mimi hearing app on my phone and did the test as I know that my hearing in my left ear is degraded slightly when compared to my right. The tests showed this and allowed it to access my health app on my phone and the custom audio settings allowed it to use the audiogram profile of this test! All going well so far :L3000:

then switched to my IPad the main source of using the APM and I cant get the audiogram settings as Ipad does not have the health app so I am stuffed! Seems stupid to be honest that the custom settings based on my hearing test can only be used on the iPhone and not the Ipad :angry:

the mimi hearing test app is on ipad and account synced but I am stuffed, unless my fellow Head-Fi oracles know something?

Shaun
Yeah, this is an unfortunate portion of the APM. Realistically, I'd want the settings saved to the headphone and for them to activate if they're connected to a device on your iCloud account.

Apr 5, 2021 at 5:31 AM Post #3,784 of 5,629
To be totally honest with you all, applying the Audiorgram profile to the accommodations has made the sound so much better for me and is compensating for my wonky ears. This morning, I have turned off the Audio Accommodations that does not use the Mimi Hearing Test Profile and the music sounds remarkably flat and dull.

Worth a try for those who have not done it? I am surprised but when listening stuff on my Ipad it will be dull and flat listening (Don’t get my wrong it is still good) but just not as good when applying the Mimi Hearing test profile.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2021 at 7:21 AM Post #3,785 of 5,629
the accommodations has made the sound so much better for me and is compensating for my wonky ears
I can only second this, without this feature I would not be able to enjoy music as much as with it. I actually try to implement something similar (my left ear lost sensitivity above 4kHz with -3db roll off) with Roon for my desktop listening as well. Works magic, I wish I had noticed this years ago.

Apr 5, 2021 at 4:40 PM Post #3,787 of 5,629
People who buy bose, b and o, beats will buy this product...Also, some sennheiser fans, but if you are giving that much on those headphones, you dont deserve to hear the jewels, so karma at its best
May I suggest a correction?

People who want to have wireless headphones that sound great with some of the best ANC/Transparency modes on the market ... will buy this product...

No need to be condescending, involve the concept of karma (?!), and make something seem inferior if you are not interested in the segment of products these headphones 🎧 are aiming for.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2021 at 4:51 PM Post #3,788 of 5,629
Worth noting about the Momentum 3, it’s often available cheap, at the moment B stock on Sennheiser outlet are £170, and i picked mine up for £220. That’s a gargantuan difference in price, heck you could M3s and some nice open backs for the APM.

Hereabouts you can buy two (!) PX7 headphones (~300€ a pop) and have a nice dinner on top for the price of an APM (660€)

Apr 5, 2021 at 4:53 PM Post #3,789 of 5,629
People who buy bose, b and o, beats will buy this product... Also, some sennheiser fans, but if you are giving that much on those headphones, you dont deserve to hear the jewels, so karma at its best
Damn. Haha. Some people take this hobby with such seriousness.

Anyway, like Verificateur said, these are good headphones and they may have the best ANC/transparency out there. They don’t outperform technicals of other hi-fi gear, but they do a very competent job for their use case - and the tuning choices aren’t so bad either (depending on taste).

Apr 5, 2021 at 4:53 PM Post #3,791 of 5,629
dont deserve to hear the jewels, so karma at its best
FR curve of a jewel, I guess :
Screenshot 2021-04-05 at 22.49.19.png

Those peaks must be what the people who climbed K2 see as their next challenge.

Apr 5, 2021 at 5:18 PM Post #3,792 of 5,629
People who buy bose, b and o, beats will buy this product... Also, some sennheiser fans, but if you are giving that much on those headphones, you dont deserve to hear the jewels, so karma at its best
Funny, I don't actually own product from any of those brands... But since I do own these, I guess I don't deserve to hear "the jewels." Karma at its best I guess...

Apr 5, 2021 at 7:50 PM Post #3,793 of 5,629
So, my initial thoughts/impressions on the Airpods Max "vs" the Sennheiser Momentum 3 Wireless:

The APM have the "better" bass. Less in quantity, less "exciting", less kick as well but wonderfully precise and articulate. I always have the EQ in the Sennheiser app set to -2db bass because of their bass, while fun, is a bit too thick and bloated for me. That solved it fairly well, though.

The mids are very good on both headphones. Tough to pick a winner here for me. The M3 always have the advantage, though, that you can EQ them easily if you want to. Other than that, both are great.

I prefer the highs on the M3. The highs, for me, are the "weak point" of the Max. They are a bit subdued and try to play it safe, resulting in me wanting more space, air and sparkle. The APM are very relaxing to listen to because of that but I would EQ them a bit if I could.

I think the APM have better instrument separation, though and do this very well for a set of closed back Bluetooth headphones. Both have good imaging, maybe slightly better even on the M3. The Sennheiser do get significantly louder than the APM Max which I always liked. Not that loud listening is recommended but once in a while it can be a nice thing to do :D I wasn't able to test the Airpods wired yet but the M3 sound the best via USB-C audio for me.

So, as far as sound goes, I think I still do prefer the (Eq'd) M3 but the APM are a very good sounding set. I haven't even really tried Spatial audio, yet which could supposedly be a lot of fun.

Where the Airpods absolutely shine in comparison, though, is when it comes to their transparency mode. Simply amazing and much better than the M3. Same goes for ANC. The ANC on the M3 is sufficient but doesn't come close to that on the Airpods. Call quality likewise is definitely better on the APM, while only ok (not bad) on the M3.

Both headphones have very good build quality but the Airpods have the even better one. They feel sturdy and luxurious but we don't know about long term yet of course, especially that mash headband might be a concern.

Comfort is a tie (for my head at least). I always found the M3 to be comfy and I think the same of the APM now. Which is a job well done by Apple as the weight distribution really needed to be really good considering their hefty weight. I also prefer the form factor of the APM while wearing them on the head. Much slimmer/sleeker.

Battery life seems slightly better on the APM but both get the job done for me.

I don't like both cases but the Sennheiser case at the very least is a case. Every additional word on the APM case is a wasted one. I like the foldable design of the Sennheiser better tbh but I love the detachable earcups on the Max, even if they are obviously ridiculously overpriced.

Which makes me come to price. Well, only comparing their initial release prices for fairness sake, the M3 were 399€ and the Airpods 600€ here which is a whopping 200€ difference. If you want to match the 2 year warranty that the Sennheiser offer, you have to buy Apple Care+ for another 59€. And don't forget the 39€ for the audio cable that the M3 already come with. Not everyone needs both of that, obviously, but the price difference can go up to 300€ here.

The APM, however, is not a 300€ better headphone than the M3 for me. Definitely not in pure sound quality. I'm deeply im the Apple/iOS eco system, though, so the convenience factor is a big one here.

All things considered, I will still keep the APM, mainly because of their excellent ANC, transparency mode and call quality. The sound quality is really good but not a reason to pay 600€ on them. They are excellent but very pricey allrounders, though. The M3 on the other hand still have a lot going for them, especially if you are on Android/Windows.
Really enjoyed this comparison. So much so, that I re-purchased the Momentum 3 yesterday to compare to my current 3 favorites, the NAD Viso HP70, B&O H95, and AirPods Max. Figured since I've been on this kick lately of repurchasing some old favorites to compare to my new heavy hitters, might as well give the Momentums a shot. The B&W PX7 and Dali iO-6 couldn't stand up to the task. Let's see how the Momentum 3 does for me. If anything, I can see it replacing my NAD Viso HP70 as my fun headphone. The only catch is, I only paid $200 for the NAD which normally retails for $449. At the $330 price I paid for the Momentums, they're going to need to be more exciting. It kills the NAD in features.

Apr 5, 2021 at 7:59 PM Post #3,794 of 5,629
Just received my APM over the weekend and so far loving them. A question for the more knowledgeable. Is the tuning different between the three modes (ANC on, transparency and off)? I was listening to some metal and I swear the bass seemed to be a little heavier with ANC on, but maybe I'm just imagining it.

Apr 5, 2021 at 8:13 PM Post #3,795 of 5,629
Just received my APM over the weekend and so far loving them. A question for the more knowledgeable. Is the tuning different between the three modes (ANC on, transparency and off)? I was listening to some metal and I swear the bass seemed to be a little heavier with ANC on, but maybe I'm just imagining it.
I personally don’t hear a difference worth noting, if I even do hear anything other than what can’t already be accounted for by other factors. For example, transparency let’s sound in. Maybe that would change perception more than frequency response of the drivers. Mayyybe the technicals like detail retrieval could be affected by having a mode on? The thinking with that is because having a mode enabled means the drivers have to work to factor in cancelling incoming sound, or reproducing sounds outside the headphones.

In theory, maybe the off mode would yield best results. I’m just not sure if I can tell in a meaningful way though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back