AirPods Max
Apr 13, 2021 at 1:56 PM Post #3,826 of 5,629
Sorry but your definition of portability is quite questionable! To my book something is not portable when you have a 1,5 met cable running out of your pockets when out walking, or keeping you tied on your chair when at home.
That's a very strict definition of portable. I'd argue that it depends on what your source is. If your source is your phone, it's likely that the 1.5m cable isn't problematic enough to keep you confined to a chair. Heck, about a decade ago no one would have a portable setup (using the strict definition provided), but many were stable able to get a setup that worked very well on the go. I still remember guiding my IEM cable under my shirt to control microphonics and connecting to my iPod Touch/iPhone back back in the day. Portable DACs/amps did exist then too, though I always found those a bit bulky for my pockets.

Apr 13, 2021 at 4:53 PM Post #3,827 of 5,629
Sorry but your definition of portability is quite questionable! To my book something is not portable when you have a 1,5 met cable running out of your pockets when out walking, or keeping you tied on your chair when at home. The APM show a very good combination of sound, features when you use Apple devices and real portability. I used to have the momentum that you are mentioning but i sold eventually. The bass of APM is on another level and the software of the momentum is comically buggy on iOS, to say the least. When I had the auto turn on/off enabled, the headphone was pausing music when I was turning my head right or left, thinking that I was taking the headphone out of my head!! 😄😄 Reasonable because simply Sennheiser has no clue about software implementation, it has been an audio company for many years and i would recommend them to stay that way...
You don’t need say sorry for sharing an opinion on an forum, it’s a place for sharing opinions.

I mean, there are many ways that a wired headphone is portable (aside from the fact people have been travelling and using them for 3 decades happily). The existence of the APM doesn’t suddenly make the hundreds of ‘portable’ wired headphones suddenly not portable, people have been using them on the go for a long time. I prefer bluetooth, we all do, but the question is; sound quality, or bluetooth? And if it’s sound quality, can you live with compromises of no BT?

For me the compromises are few. My b&w headphones use a lightning cable, I can hook them up to an ipod with 128gb of storage, a device weighing 88g, literally tiny, that sits in my jacket pocket and can stream on Tidal or play my flac files. Not really tied to my phone, at all really. Plug into phone when needed, a motion that takes all of 2 seconds. The only thing I miss is ANC, but, my APP can handle that if needed.

I understand, bluetooth is fab. My post acknowledges that, and I can see why people love the APM and would choose it. I’m giving another anecdote for the many, one in which wired headphone use + airpods pro literally fills all my needs, and offers much better SQ than the APM as perceived by yours truly.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2021 at 4:59 AM Post #3,828 of 5,629
I'm thinking of the Momentum 3's for their sound. I had the APM's and just thought there wasn't enough volume, punch, and the SQ was not deserving of the cost. But if the app with an iPhone is poor then those frustrations outweighs the better sound and perhaps I judged the APM's too harshly. I've tried the APP for hours and just can't get a good seal or SQ that doesn't leave me wanting more. I felt the APM's delivered the same SQ but a better stage and comfortable fit. They are really units, well made, substantial. I'm on the fence here...
I used to own M3 and now APM. APM sound is superior. Bass is more controlled but still deep and detailed. Mids are also better presented and the overall sound is more open on the APM. The comfort level of the APM on my head is also much higher. M3 headband was quite disturbing on the crown but APM even though heavier is really really comfortable on head and ears. No sweat and no bounce. The Sennheiser features’ software implementation on iOS as well as their ANC are really laughable. They have no clue really...I have no problem with volume on APM, i listen on the same level as I was listening on the M3. I don’t find M3 to be either punchier or louder than the APM. It’s just that bass on the M3 is clearly bloated, that’s why all people owning them they use only with eq. But I don’t like eq so when I compare, I compare only house sound. And house sound of APM is just on another level.

Apr 14, 2021 at 5:16 AM Post #3,829 of 5,629
The Momentums definitely have more volume and punch. I really like the (EQ'd) sound of the M3. The Sennheiser app is pretty mediocre, that's true. It isn't as bad, however, as one would think reading here sometimes. The M3s are very good wireless headphones.

There's just the small things I really like about the Airpods Pro (despite the obvious strengths of course). For example the swappable earpads, the very accurate and fine tuned volume adjustment with the digital crown, the tactile and satisfying buttons, the hands free Siri integration - stuff like that. You don't get that any of that on the Momentums. Replacing earpads, while possible, is a bit of a hassle, the buttons are okayish and volume up and down (on iOS) sometimes makes huge jumps and is not very accurate or reliable.
I don’t like to eq headphones, so when I compare, I compare only factory sound. So I believe factory sound of APM is just superior and more open than M3. Bass is more on the M3 but better, clearer and deeper on the APM. I totally agree with your remark regarding the precise volume adjustment of the Digital Crown on APM. The button of M3 was not accurate at all on mine as well, making jumps like 3 dots on iOS.

Apr 14, 2021 at 5:18 AM Post #3,830 of 5,629
I used to own M3 and now APM. APM sound is superior. Bass is more controlled but still deep and detailed. Mids are also better presented and the overall sound is more open on the APM. The comfort level of the APM on my head is also much higher. M3 headband was quite disturbing on the crown but APM even though heavier is really really comfortable on head and ears. No sweat and no bounce. The Sennheiser features’ software implementation on iOS as well as their ANC are really laughable. They have no clue really...I have no problem with volume on APM, i listen on the same level as I was listening on the M3. I don’t find M3 to be either punchier or louder than the APM. It’s just that bass on the M3 is clearly bloated, that’s why all people owning them they use only with eq. But I don’t like eq so when I compare, I compare only house sound. And house sound of APM is just on another level.
Agree on most points. Bass is definitely better and more controlled, yes. Software/features on iOS is no contest. Comfort was good on both for me but I can see that more people would find the APM to be more comfortable. That said, the M3 are definitely louder and quite significantly so. They were even „too loud“ for me, I could never listen to 80% volume or more on them. On the APM, while quite loud at 80%, I can still listen fairly comfortably to them. The M3s have more headroom when it comes to volume which is very handy when needed. That is the case for me, e.g., when listening to songs which were mastered before the times of brickwall loudness / loudness war, for examaple a lot of music from the 70s or 80s - or even classical music. It is also noticeable on some videos on YouTube etc. It‘s not a big issue, I already had headphones like this in the past already (PXC 550I / II, or even the MTW2). I just find it nice when there is potentially much more volume available than needed in most of the cases :)

Apr 14, 2021 at 5:30 AM Post #3,831 of 5,629
Agree on most points. Bass is definitely better and more controlled, yes. Software/features on iOS is no contest. Comfort was good on both for me but I can see that more people would find the APM to be more comfortable. That said, the M3 are definitely louder and quite significantly so. They were even „too loud“ for me, I could never listen to 80% volume or more on them. On the APM, while quite loud at 80%, I can still listen fairly comfortably to them. The M3s have more headroom when it comes to volume which is very handy when needed. That is the case for me, e.g., when listening to songs which were mastered before the times of brickwall loudness / loudness war, for examaple a lot of music from the 70s or 80s - or even classical music. It is also noticeable on some videos on YouTube etc. It‘s not a big issue, I already had headphones like this in the past already (PXC 550I / II, or even the MTW2). I just find it nice when there is potentially much more volume available than needed in most of the cases :)
I don’t recall this much volume difference between the two, but I don’t own the m3 anymore so can’t compare. What I can say for sure is that even on max volume the APM has no distortion which I am not sure about the m3, especially on their low frequencies.

Apr 14, 2021 at 5:34 AM Post #3,832 of 5,629
I don’t recall this much volume difference between the two, but I don’t own the m3 anymore so can’t compare. What I can say for sure is that even on max volume the APM has no distortion which I am not sure about the m3, especially on their low frequencies.
That’s definitely true! Maybe also one of the reasons that the max volume is not as loud on the APM - to avoid any kind of distortion, even at max volume.

Apr 14, 2021 at 5:49 AM Post #3,833 of 5,629
That’s definitely true! Maybe also one of the reasons that the max volume is not as loud on the APM - to avoid any kind of distortion, even at max volume.
True! The most irritating to me on the m3 was the problems when connected to both iPhone and iPad. When I was listening on iPad and a notification was coming on the iPhone, music was stopping and starting playing again after like 10 to 15 seconds!! I mean, dear Sennheiser, if you can’t do it properly, don’t do it at all!! I wrote an email to them about all these issues but never got an answer...

Apr 14, 2021 at 9:15 AM Post #3,834 of 5,629
With respect, my ears tell me a different story on the APMs. I’m thinking a little Bluetooth amp/dac to severe tether to phone when wanting wireless. Maybe I try the APM again and see if I can get halfway to your enjoyment of them.

Apr 14, 2021 at 9:38 AM Post #3,835 of 5,629
With respect, my ears tell me a different story on the APMs. I’m thinking a little Bluetooth amp/dac to severe tether to phone when wanting wireless. Maybe I try the APM again and see if I can get halfway to your enjoyment of them.
You don’t really need to. Every pair of ears in this world has a different story to tell...😉 If you don’t use Apple devices, you will also not get any special feature benefits, so in that case other headphones may be more preferable.

Apr 14, 2021 at 9:49 AM Post #3,836 of 5,629
I use iOS devices and use my XM4 and Pandas more than my Max. But I still use them on occasion just for the different sound signature

Apr 14, 2021 at 9:59 AM Post #3,837 of 5,629
I use iOS devices and use my XM4 and Pandas more than my Max. But I still use them on occasion just for the different sound signature
I had the XM4, then the Senn M3 and finally APM. Sony to my ears is another example of bloated and exaggerated bass, skewing other frequencies, far worse than the one on M3. But as I said before, every pair of ears has a different story to tell 😉! I have to point out again here that I am talking only about factory sound, not eq. I never eq headphones so I can inform only about my humble opinion on house sound. As far as I have read, the Sony gets a lot better with eq, so maybe that’s your use case as well...

Apr 14, 2021 at 10:19 AM Post #3,838 of 5,629
I had the XM4, then the Senn M3 and finally APM. Sony to my ears is another example of bloated and exaggerated bass, skewing other frequencies, far worse than the one on M3. But as I said before, every pair of ears has a different story to tell 😉! I have to point out again here that I am talking only about factory sound, not eq. I never eq headphones so I can inform only about my humble opinion on house sound. As far as I have read, the Sony gets a lot better with eq, so maybe that’s your use case as well...
So am I as far as factory sound is concerned. My 1A and 1Z players are amazing when they are in LDAC mode. The Pandas are great with their stock EQ on the iOS.

Apr 14, 2021 at 10:38 AM Post #3,839 of 5,629
So am I as far as factory sound is concerned. My 1A and 1Z players are amazing when they are in LDAC mode. The Pandas are great with their stock EQ on the iOS.
That’s a different story. I have no idea how LDAC sounds since I only use Apple devices. I listened to the XM4 on an iPhone with Apple Music, no eq, in AAC mode; bloated bass, skewed mids. Under these very circumstances APM’s sound is much superior, open and balanced, to my ears, i mean actually there is no comparison even. Now of course, if you eq the Sony, if you use LDAC or whatever, they may become miraculous. But I am comparing without eq and just AAC on Apple devices, no 1A-1Z or whatever...

Apr 14, 2021 at 10:56 AM Post #3,840 of 5,629
I guess each headphone can possibly shine under different circumstances according to manufacturer’s approach. When APM plays its best on Apple devices with aac etc, most probably Sony or M3 play some more accomplished game on Android, or (xm4 case) their own Sony players with LDAC etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back