AirPods Max
Apr 14, 2021 at 11:06 AM Post #3,841 of 5,629
So am I as far as factory sound is concerned. My 1A and 1Z players are amazing when they are in LDAC mode. The Pandas are great with their stock EQ on the iOS.
The stock EQ for the Pandas is with SoundID off (IE without using the SoundID app). To get the stock "flat" EQ on iOS, the headphones are actually EQ'd to that state. This is similar to what Audeze did with their EL8, iSine, and Sine series of headphones with their Cipher Lighting cables. Without the EQ, the tonality seems a bit off. The Panda is kind of the same way. It's a darker headphone without any sort of EQ applied. However, with the SoundID EQing it flat, you get a bit more clarity and more neutral tonality out of it.

The only issue I have with the Panda right now is that they're skipping quite often after their update and applying any sort of EQ over BT and it gets quite annoying.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2021 at 11:09 AM Post #3,842 of 5,629
Historically I've generally been against EQ. It makes swapping headphones a bit more tedious as I have to shut off the EQ on the device when comparing headphones and stuff. So generally I've always avoided EQing my headphones. However, if the EQ saves to the headphone, I'm less against it since that tediousness goes away. So with something like the Panda and its app, I have no issues EQing it through those means since it'll apply to that headphone and that headphone only.

With the AirPods, the accommodations apply to all AirPods which is unfortunate. But it does improve the sound of the APM quite a bit and really only affects AirPods, so I'm living with it, though I do wish the Apple could set it up to do accommodations per AirPod.

Apr 14, 2021 at 1:09 PM Post #3,843 of 5,629
Historically I've generally been against EQ. It makes swapping headphones a bit more tedious as I have to shut off the EQ on the device when comparing headphones and stuff. So generally I've always avoided EQing my headphones. However, if the EQ saves to the headphone, I'm less against it since that tediousness goes away. So with something like the Panda and its app, I have no issues EQing it through those means since it'll apply to that headphone and that headphone only.

With the AirPods, the accommodations apply to all AirPods which is unfortunate. But it does improve the sound of the APM quite a bit and really only affects AirPods, so I'm living with it, though I do wish the Apple could set it up to do accommodations per AirPod.
What accommodations do you use (what specific settings I mean)?

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2021 at 2:32 AM Post #3,845 of 5,629
I guess each headphone can possibly shine under different circumstances according to manufacturer’s approach. When APM plays its best on Apple devices with aac etc, most probably Sony or M3 play some more accomplished game on Android, or (xm4 case) their own Sony players with LDAC etc.
I’m lucky I can play with different sources and headphones. So I use them all in different situations and timing. Keeps the hobby fun. My last item would be either the Focal Celestee or Sony DMP-Z1. But I don’t think the Airpods Max would sound good with the DMP. Either way, the Max are good for the apple systems indeed

Apr 15, 2021 at 8:25 AM Post #3,846 of 5,629
I’m lucky I can play with different sources and headphones. So I use them all in different situations and timing. Keeps the hobby fun. My last item would be either the Focal Celestee or Sony DMP-Z1. But I don’t think the Airpods Max would sound good with the DMP. Either way, the Max are good for the apple systems indeed
Unfortunately I can’t use something different than Apple devices. I just love the interface, aesthetics, software and general approach. I have nearly 8.000 albums in Apple Music also, so it’s quite impossible to move away. Every time I get near to some Android, Windows or other, it all seems to me quite childish, laughable and amateur. I know I must be wrong but I am stuck with Apple...

Apr 15, 2021 at 8:43 AM Post #3,847 of 5,629
Unfortunately I can’t use something different than Apple devices. I just love the interface, aesthetics, software and general approach. I have nearly 8.000 albums in Apple Music also, so it’s quite impossible to move away. Every time I get near to some Android, Windows or other, it all seems to me quite childish, laughable and amateur. I know I must be wrong but I am stuck with Apple...
I use Windows, Apple, and Sony's proprietary user interfaces and find nothing laughable about any of them. They all offer different experiences and different sound signatures which makes the hobby all the more fun. I'm glad Apple offers ALAC for hi-res Apple files whenever I use them on my Sony DAPs, but the AirPods Pro and Max sound about the same whether the file is ALAC or AAC. Still, Apple did pretty good job with Max. I wouldn't mind trying the Max in wired mode, but it costs a lot of money for the wire.

Apr 15, 2021 at 9:02 AM Post #3,848 of 5,629
I wouldn't mind trying the Max in wired mode, but it costs a lot of money for the wire.
I agree that the price for that flimsy little cable is ludicrous to say the least. However, it didn't stop me from buying it (and Apple knows that :D)

Apr 15, 2021 at 9:03 AM Post #3,849 of 5,629
I use Windows, Apple, and Sony's proprietary user interfaces and find nothing laughable about any of them. They all offer different experiences and different sound signatures which makes the hobby all the more fun. I'm glad Apple offers ALAC for hi-res Apple files whenever I use them on my Sony DAPs, but the AirPods Pro and Max sound about the same whether the file is ALAC or AAC. Still, Apple did pretty good job with Max. I wouldn't mind trying the Max in wired mode, but it costs a lot of money for the wire.
Of course, I didn’t mean laughable regarding audio quality. As I said previously they all can potentially shine under each one’s preferable circumstances. I just meant about interface, unnecessary complications etc, presented on the computer side of things not audio. I would never call Sony a laughable company for sure! Sony is a giant that has produced so many important audio products and opened so many roads in Music!

Apr 15, 2021 at 9:11 AM Post #3,850 of 5,629
Of course, I didn’t mean laughable regarding audio quality. As I said previously they all can potentially shine under each one’s preferable circumstances. I just meant about interface, unnecessary complications etc, presented on the computer side of things not audio. I would never call Sony a laughable company for sure! Sony is a giant that has produced so many important audio products and opened so many roads in Music!
Hope you enjoy them. Cheers

Apr 15, 2021 at 4:25 PM Post #3,852 of 5,629
So, after some days exclusively using the APM I really don't have many complaints. I guess the only one would be that they could potentially have that little bit more headroom in volume for very quiet recordings. The Momentums had plenty of that and I loved them for that.

Other than that though I think the APM are brilliant when you live the Apple life. Sound quality is very good. Obviously not 600€ good but still very good. Comfort for me is very high, too and much better than expected when I read the specs sheet for the first time.

Build quality, ANC and transparency mode = amazing. Seamless switching on my iOS devices, hands free Siri integration, the extremely precise digital crown, the solid and tactile button(s), easily detachable ear cushions + (very expensive) "customisation" - if the price is not an issue...I almost cannot fault them, really. Well, the case...yeah...ok...so two complaints in total.

Apr 15, 2021 at 7:54 PM Post #3,854 of 5,629
After some research I finally got my APM. I really like almost everything about them. Transparency, ANC, sound, comfort and design. I went with the white headset. I love the look but I’m worried that it will stain. I want to use them to mow my acre of lawn and having to bag the clippings makes me a little scared. Anyone have problems with stains with the APM in white or light colors?
Thanks!

Apr 15, 2021 at 7:56 PM Post #3,855 of 5,629
There are quite a few YouTube videos on stains. Good luck

Users who are viewing this thread

Back