AIAIAI TMA-1
Nov 2, 2011 at 10:58 PM Post #976 of 1,345
Well, as much as I like these, I think it's about time for me to try out another pair of 'phones. I'm thinking of pursuing a pair of AKG 701s. For anyone who's had experience with the TMA-1s and the 701, what should I expect compared to these. I do know that the 701s are considered a bit 'bass-light' and need an amp to get the most out of them, but still would like a good comparison between them.

Nov 2, 2011 at 11:08 PM Post #977 of 1,345
They're worlds apart. If you get a 701 make it the Q701 (it's in 3 colors, not just BRIGHT GREEN) as it has a little more bass and because of that sounds better than the 701 or 702 (IMO). 

They definitely need an amp, and the biggest things you'll notice are sound stage, and the fact that the 701 rips the recording apart if it's bad. The TMA-1 is super forgiving, and the 701 is the exact opposite. If you want something more forgiving with more bass than the 701 I'd suggest the HD 598, or the DT 880. Granted, the DT 880's detail will still tear apart bad recordings, but not make them unlistenable like the 701.

Quote:
Well, as much as I like these, I think it's about time for me to try out another pair of 'phones. I'm thinking of pursuing a pair of AKG 701s. For anyone who's had experience with the TMA-1s and the 701, what should I expect compared to these. I do know that the 701s are considered a bit 'bass-light' and need an amp to get the most out of them, but still would like a good comparison between them.

Nov 2, 2011 at 11:21 PM Post #978 of 1,345
I will look into those suggestions you gave me. Do either of them need some extra juice from an amp? The 701s seem a bit too daring now to consider. Luckily, Christmas is being brought up around here so it's time for me to drop a few hints on my folks, heh... and get a few things sold. :p 

Quote:
They're worlds apart. If you get a 701 make it the Q701 (it's in 3 colors, not just BRIGHT GREEN) as it has a little more bass and because of that sounds better than the 701 or 702 (IMO). 

They definitely need an amp, and the biggest things you'll notice are sound stage, and the fact that the 701 rips the recording apart if it's bad. The TMA-1 is super forgiving, and the 701 is the exact opposite. If you want something more forgiving with more bass than the 701 I'd suggest the HD 598, or the DT 880. Granted, the DT 880's detail will still tear apart bad recordings, but not make them unlistenable like the 701.

Nov 2, 2011 at 11:25 PM Post #979 of 1,345
The 598 is by far the easiest to drive. There are lower impedance Beyers, but I'd suggest a decent amp and the 600 Ohm versions.

Quote:
I will look into those suggestions you gave me. Do either of them need some extra juice from an amp? The 701s seem a bit too daring now to consider. Luckily, Christmas is being brought up around here so it's time for me to drop a few hints on my folks, heh... and get a few things sold. :p 

Nov 7, 2011 at 9:15 AM Post #980 of 1,345
After much deliberation, got the fool's gold edition.  I'm kind of new to the audiophile scene (and I'm far from one in terms of knowledge), but my previous cans were the Alessandro M1i's.

To be honest, I am slightly disappointed with the yellow color, as it looks cheap and toy-ish--especially the cord.  However it comes with a short black cord with a remote/mic so it isn't too bad with that.

However, the sound is quite satisfying!  I listen to mostly hip hop and a little bit of house, and I must say that I was slightly underwhelmed when I first listened to these cans.  However a little bit of EQ-ing (raising the higher ends) did wonders and I just can't seem to take these off ^^.

Unfortunately I'm using an ipod nano (2nd gen), and have no way of EQ-ing this baby (the stock EQ settings are way out of wack for my taste).  SO I was wondering if anyone could tell me if a portable amp would do the trick.  I'm mainly looking at the CMOYBB and PA2V.  I've never used an amp/dac(?) before, and don't really understand what they do but it seems like it would be a lot of fun.

As for my EQ preferences, it goes a little something like this in iTunes:

^by no means is this final, but after some tweaking around i've settled for this

All suggestions appreciated!

Nov 7, 2011 at 10:11 AM Post #981 of 1,345
That curve is pretty much what you need to make these a great all rounder. Not sure if an amp would do it (my Arrow 3G lifted the veil, but it was a 400 dollar amp, too). A Cowon J3 or iPod Touch would do you well though as they have nice EQing options. The Cowon has them stock but the iPod Touch has some great apps and you get all the nice features that come with one.

Quote:
After much deliberation, got the fool's gold edition.  I'm kind of new to the audiophile scene (and I'm far from one in terms of knowledge), but my previous cans were the Alessandro M1i's.

To be honest, I am slightly disappointed with the yellow color, as it looks cheap and toy-ish--especially the cord.  However it comes with a short black cord with a remote/mic so it isn't too bad with that.

However, the sound is quite satisfying!  I listen to mostly hip hop and a little bit of house, and I must say that I was slightly underwhelmed when I first listened to these cans.  However a little bit of EQ-ing (raising the higher ends) did wonders and I just can't seem to take these off ^^.

Unfortunately I'm using an ipod nano (2nd gen), and have no way of EQ-ing this baby (the stock EQ settings are way out of wack for my taste).  SO I was wondering if anyone could tell me if a portable amp would do the trick.  I'm mainly looking at the CMOYBB and PA2V.  I've never used an amp/dac(?) before, and don't really understand what they do but it seems like it would be a lot of fun.

As for my EQ preferences, it goes a little something like this in iTunes:

^by no means is this final, but after some tweaking around i've settled for this

All suggestions appreciated!

Nov 7, 2011 at 4:42 PM Post #982 of 1,345

Quote:
That curve is pretty much what you need to make these a great all rounder. Not sure if an amp would do it (my Arrow 3G lifted the veil, but it was a 400 dollar amp, too). A Cowon J3 or iPod Touch would do you well though as they have nice EQing options. The Cowon has them stock but the iPod Touch has some great apps and you get all the nice features that come with one.

Thanks for the input!  Feel like a bawz with the EQ confirmation haha.  I did consider finding a different DAP, but I like the form factor of my nano, and i thought I could use the amp with my laptop as well.  I guess it boils down to my wanting to try out amps, and was wondering which one would suit my needs best ^^

Nov 7, 2011 at 5:12 PM Post #983 of 1,345
It's really about what sounds best for you. That curve essentially evens them out as they're a pretty bass heavy headphone.

The biggest reason I suggested a new DAP is simply because there's a lot of amps with bass boost, but nothing to boost the high range. I'm not too sure what to suggest amp wise other than giving the NuForce Icon Mobile a shot. It was fairly bright to my ears (at least compared to the E7 and E5) and might be just what the TMA-1 needs.

I can tell you that you do not want an E7 though. The 2 do not pair well, IMO. I liked the TMA-1 more stock than with the E7.

Quote:
Thanks for the input!  Feel like a bawz with the EQ confirmation haha.  I did consider finding a different DAP, but I like the form factor of my nano, and i thought I could use the amp with my laptop as well.  I guess it boils down to my wanting to try out amps, and was wondering which one would suit my needs best ^^

Nov 8, 2011 at 4:55 AM Post #984 of 1,345

Quote:
It's really about what sounds best for you. That curve essentially evens them out as they're a pretty bass heavy headphone.

The biggest reason I suggested a new DAP is simply because there's a lot of amps with bass boost, but nothing to boost the high range. I'm not too sure what to suggest amp wise other than giving the NuForce Icon Mobile a shot. It was fairly bright to my ears (at least compared to the E7 and E5) and might be just what the TMA-1 needs.

I can tell you that you do not want an E7 though. The 2 do not pair well, IMO. I liked the TMA-1 more stock than with the E7.

Thanks again for the input!  Still can't decide between the PA2V and the cMoyBB!

Nov 11, 2011 at 3:04 PM Post #985 of 1,345
I took my TMA-1's with me to the gym yesterday, and if i got today i will bring them again. They make great headphones for the gym. I wasnt sure if they would clamp tight enough, but they did not move the whole time. Sure they look a bit goofier than just wearing iem's but i really dont care what others at the gym think.

I really am enjoying this TMA-1 + iPhone 4 combo a lot, and I use them unEQ'ed. This setup sounds superb.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk.

Nov 22, 2011 at 12:26 PM Post #986 of 1,345
Received my new phones today :)
Love their look! Seems durable.

But, I have to say that the sound was a bit underwhelming though! I knew that they should sound a bit dark, but WOW!
Not only does they sound dark and muffled, I think every aspect of the sound is only so-so....
I have been into audiophile gear for years, but my first reaction was that the legendary Koss Porta Pro sounds a lot better!?

I guess I just need to adjust to them, over time. But even so, the quality of sound is disappointing :frowning2:

Nov 22, 2011 at 2:10 PM Post #987 of 1,345

Quote:
Received my new phones today :)
Love their look! Seems durable.

But, I have to say that the sound was a bit underwhelming though! I knew that they should sound a bit dark, but WOW!
Not only does they sound dark and muffled, I think every aspect of the sound is only so-so....
I have been into audiophile gear for years, but my first reaction was that the legendary Koss Porta Pro sounds a lot better!?

I guess I just need to adjust to them, over time. But even so, the quality of sound is disappointing :frowning2:

I agree on the darkness, but they never sounded muffled to me. Perhaps its because I did burn in before I used them, or its because they were a step up from the bass I was used to, or because I EQed them straight away with my computer and Cowon when I actually started using them. 

I really don't know, but that is the reason why I always suggest demoing them if possible. The TMA-1s, from what I have seen, are either a love or hate affair in terms of sound (or you EQ and make them decent all-arounders by upping the treble). 

See how you feel about them after letting them burn in (BTW, I didn't hear THAT much of a difference, but it was enough to be noticeable, and other users have reported more drastic changes), and messing around with the EQ a bit (they really do respond remarkably well).

Nov 22, 2011 at 7:35 PM Post #988 of 1,345
They are a tad dark, but id never call them muffled. They still have some very detailed treble, its just a bit more mellow than the bass and mids. I actually dont find them to be all that bassy, they have bass, but they are not bass head cans. Maybe they just pair very well with my iPhone 4 because i think they sound very natural and musical. Not neutral, but natural.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk.

Nov 22, 2011 at 10:19 PM Post #990 of 1,345
You guys are using the word 'tad' to describe a headphone that sounds like it's been buried in a cave and not seen light for 100 years. 

These are the single darkest headphone I've owned/heard. I love them but damn they're dark.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back