AIAIAI TMA-1
Mar 5, 2011 at 10:48 PM Post #601 of 1,345
I didn't like them for hip hop because vocals sound muffled on them.

Mar 6, 2011 at 3:33 AM Post #602 of 1,345
Might be a stupid question but I was wondering if I EQed down the treble on my st60s by a few steps, would that give me a decent indication on what to expect from the treble on the TMAs?  I know it wouldn't be able to match the rich lows and mids, but I was just wondering if the sound I get would be somewhat similar.  

I was also considering buying a cable with an inline mic, such as a crossfade or beats cable, and just using that with the TMAs so I would be able to talk on the phone with them as I am on the phone quite literally 10+ hours a day.  I'm pretty sure this would work but I would love an informed opinion. Thanks so much!

Quote:
I've compared them side by side - the TMA-1 have a fuller bass that extends deeper to my ears. The TMA's forward midrange might have something to do with this, but in general the HD 25 sounded less visceral to my ears. The HD 25 of course have more treble.

Mar 6, 2011 at 12:23 PM Post #603 of 1,345
You know... I have heard this for other music genres as well... And I have not heard the recessed vocals as others have. I could assume it is my EQ settings, but they would only make a difference in the treble range. Maybe its because I am already accustomed to the sound signature. 

Quote:
I didn't like them for hip hop because vocals sound muffled on them.

Mar 6, 2011 at 12:28 PM Post #604 of 1,345
I am starting to suspect it may have a lot to do with amping as well.  They are very sensitive, but when I listen to them using my portable player, they do sound a little muffled.  When I use a stronger amp, the vocals get clearer and the highs sound less recessed.  

Mar 6, 2011 at 2:06 PM Post #605 of 1,345
Could be joel... I am often forgetting how powerful a player the J3 is.

Mar 21, 2011 at 6:29 PM Post #606 of 1,345
I haven't read through the 41 pages of this thread yet, but I've just gotten a pair of TMA-1's and.... how do you guys find the comfort of them?  So far I find the headband to be way too hard on the top of my head, and the pleather earpads while they feel fine to my fingers, on my ears they feel a bit too hard.  Am I just too used to big cushy circumaurals?  I'll give these a week or so before deciding whether to put them on the For Sale forum.

Also as a quick mini-comparison vs Earsonics SM3 IEMs.... SM3's win heartily on all fronts.  The TMA-1's aren't bad, but I'm not convinced they are where I want to end up.  Perhaps some on head burn-in will solve my problems.....

Mar 21, 2011 at 6:34 PM Post #607 of 1,345
The TMA-1 protein leather ear pads are certainly the most comfy supra-aural ones I've ever tried. Sure, they're no circum-aural DT770 velours pads, but compared to the ear-torturing HD25 pads, they're just great. Low clamping force of the TMA sure plays a role in that, too.

The headband is fine for me, but i can see how that might be an issue for some people.

Yeh, of course they're no SM3. :wink:

Mar 21, 2011 at 6:45 PM Post #608 of 1,345
Maybe I just need to build up some ear callouses.  But really, the rubber strip on the underside of the headband is about hard as the plastic on the top.  Why bother, I wonder?  Clamping force is fine, I probably just need to get used to on-ear the same way it took me forever to get used to IEMs.  I remember the clamping on my Senn 580s to be substantially harder, yet still much more comfortable.  Must be the circumaural-ness of it.  The only reason I decided to get these is IEMs just take too long to put in and out when you have to do so every 15 minutes or so throughout the workday.  Come to think of it, I couldn't stand the grado bowls for comfort either.  Was like using sandpaper for earpads.

To make this constructive: does anyone have any thoughts on making the headband a little more comfortable, yet still look nice (like I don't want to just glue a strip of foam on it, etc), esp something non-destructive in case I decide to sell these later?

Mar 21, 2011 at 6:49 PM Post #609 of 1,345

Quote:
does anyone have any thoughts on making the headband a little more comfortable, yet still look nice (like I don't want to just glue a strip of foam on it, etc), esp something non-destructive in case I decide to sell these later?

http://anythingbutipod.com/forum/showpost.php?p=521853&postcount=172

:wink:

Mar 21, 2011 at 6:49 PM Post #610 of 1,345
The pads were very comfortable to me.  The headband was fine, but I have a lot of hair.  My brother, who has much finer hair than I do, said the headband made the top of his head sore after a while.

Mar 21, 2011 at 7:01 PM Post #611 of 1,345
@dfkt: Say, that DOES look nice.  I'll look into pricing / shipping to where I'm at.  But I was otherwise wondering whether there were any clever DIY implementations anyone knew of.

@neato: Yeah, I've got fairly fine hair, too.  Perhaps we are just delicate.

And in a stab at fairness: this is my first day with them.  I remember being reluctant about the SM3s when I first got them as well, but I love them now.  So who knows.

Mar 24, 2011 at 12:23 PM Post #612 of 1,345
Just unboxed it a few minutes ago, wow what a package! Masterpiece of design.

I like it out of the box, with the HM-601 it sounds so dark(kind of love it), it already convinced me to go over to the dark side. (Lord Vader here I come
very_evil_smiley.gif
).

A bit shy on the highs, but maybe it is the HM-601 fault. Mids and lows are very good. With the lows it can definitely compete with the ES10 and the ESW9. Lets plug in in the laptop...

Mar 24, 2011 at 3:15 PM Post #614 of 1,345
Yeah this is a nice headphone, but I hate the stock cable. So I made a new one from Canare L-4E6S. It is not a perfect solution, but it will do it for now. If someone knows, please give suggestions for a replacement cable, a decent one. This cable is too microphonic at the moment.

Mar 24, 2011 at 3:25 PM Post #615 of 1,345
I didn't mind the stock cable too much, but I can understand where you're coming from. I replaced mine already as well with a 3.5 cable that came with my Astro MixAmp (link in a bit).

I JUST unboxed mine as well (about 2 hours ago now) And I am LOVING the dark sound.

I will say this about them, they REALLY shine with an amp. They sound great either way to me, but they open up on my E7/E9 and really are amazing.

Oh, and as for the headband. I was worried it would be too hard for me and I don't mind at all. They're light enough for it to not bother me one bit. I absolutely love these cans.

Quote:
Yeah this is a nice headphone, but I hate the stock cable. So I made a new one from Canare L-4E6S. It is not a perfect solution, but it will do it for now. If someone knows, please give suggestions for a replacement cable, a decent one. This cable is too microphonic at the moment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back