AIAIAI TMA-1
Feb 10, 2011 at 11:08 AM Post #586 of 1,345
I agree. They're pretty cool. They're pretty, and they sound pretty (dark). They're not perfect though. I think they deserve to be rated, but they are overrated by some who probably haven't heard much else. When they learn of other headphones, they move on to the next big thing. It's the nature of Headfi nowadays. People use it as less as a community and more of a resource. 

I like the headphones. I kept them over my beloved t50ps. But are they worth lots of hyping and lots of OMG THESE ARE BETTAR THEN SENN HD650s!! - No, no they don't. :)

Feb 10, 2011 at 2:38 PM Post #587 of 1,345
Has anyone had any experiences with Aiaiai's customer service? The pair that I got seems to be having a problem, so I would like to send them in to be fixed or replaced. I've filled out their warranty form a few days ago and emailed their customer service email this morning directly, but haven't heard from them yet.

Feb 10, 2011 at 2:45 PM Post #588 of 1,345

Quote:
Has anyone had any experiences with Aiaiai's customer service? The pair that I got seems to be having a problem, so I would like to send them in to be fixed or replaced. I've filled out their warranty form a few days ago and emailed their customer service email this morning directly, but haven't heard from them yet.

I talked to them about straight cables and all that, and they were always quick to respond. You might want to look for their email and try again, or wait a bit more, they're usually really fast.

Feb 10, 2011 at 2:51 PM Post #589 of 1,345

Quote:
Quote:

I talked to them about straight cables and all that, and they were always quick to respond. You might want to look for their email and try again, or wait a bit more, they're usually really fast.

Ah thanks. I'll probably wait another day or so, but I've been emailing the customerserivce at aiaia.dk email address. Is there an address for a local office that I might be missing?

Feb 28, 2011 at 10:19 AM Post #591 of 1,345
Hey guys,

Got a quick question regarding customizing the TMA-1's if anyone can help me out......let me just apologize ahead of time for my terminology, I'm new to this high-end headphone game lol....

Anyways, I've been interested in these for a while and after reading the comments on here, finally picked them up.  I love them, they're really great and I have minimal complaints. 

However, one thing I would love to do would be to change the colour of the cables.  Both of them (the one that plugs into my audio source and the one that connects each can, if that makes sense).  I really like the original coiled cables so I'd like to keep the same design, just with a different colour.....

Has anyone done this or can recommend a good place to pick up the parts?  Also, what are the technical terms for these cables?

I've never done a mod like this before, so once again I apologize for coming off like a noob but the best way to learn is to ask.  Am I in over my head?

Thanks.

matt

Feb 28, 2011 at 11:19 AM Post #592 of 1,345
It's just a male-male 3.5mm extension cable.  So really, any miniplug cable you can get will work just fine.  You won't be able to find ones in other colours with the coiled strain relief, but there are plenty of other coloured ones out there.

Mar 5, 2011 at 2:53 PM Post #594 of 1,345
Hi, I am very interested in these headphones but I can't decide between them and the hd25-1s.  How do those who've had these headphones for a couple months now feel about them now that the initial "honeymoon" feelings have worn off?  I listen to a lot of hip hop and the only other headphones I have are grado sr60s.  Would the jump in treble be too big for me?  I value detail the most and I'm really craving something with a nice punchy bass.  I know many people belive that the hd25-1s have more clarity but part of me feels like that could be overcome with some EQing and now I'm wondering if the newer driver of the TMA-1s is more detailed than the hd25s.  Thanks in advance!

Mar 5, 2011 at 7:58 PM Post #597 of 1,345
I have a very hard time believing that the HD25 has more bass.  Granted, I haven't heard it, but that goes against everything I HAVE heard.

Mar 5, 2011 at 8:26 PM Post #599 of 1,345
The bass is controlled but not lacking in the TMA-1s. The midrange is more forward sounding and heavier than the HD25s. The treble is more recessed than the HD25s... SO! To sum it all up, the TMA-1s have a darker sound signature, it isn't neutral in the slightest. If you have experience with other sennheisers, it is much like their general sound signature. TMA-1s are not really all that great for female vocal jazz or music that would suffer from a heavy midrange. Personally I don't think either is particularly superior. No matter what, the TMA-1 will be darker than the HD25s. You can compensate for this to a degree with EQ adjustment, but be aware that it will not make them brighter than the HD25s. The clamping force is less on the TMA-1sl. Durability is about equal I'd say. You can replace more on the HD25s, but the likelihood of replacing certain things is slim, in other words, what you can replace on the HD25s should never need replacing if you take care of them even a tiny bit. Also... the TMA-1s have clarity to spare. They are not really perfectly precise, but they are not meant to be, neither are the HD25s for that matter. DJ headphones are not meant for critical listening. Neither the HD25s or the TMA-1s are studio or reference headphones. Both have alright clarity and separation, but it is nothing to call home about. 

Overall, I think that the HD25-1s MIGHT be a safer bet. The TMA-1s are the kind of phone you either will enjoy or hate entirely. Just read through this thread, you'll see a lot of that. If you can audition the both of them, I'd highly recommend doing so. I didn't have a chance to properly audition the HD25-1s, but went with the TMA-1s because I could get them for cheaper. I'm happy with my decision, because honestly, I find the HD25-1s slightly too bright to my ears (granted, I need to do a full listening with them with my own music, as I only listened to them in store for about 30 minutes...). The TMA-1s are too dark, but sound better when I EQ them. 

You won't find many negative comprehensive reviews for either the HD25-1s or the TMA-1s. All comprehensive reviews are positive for both. My advice to you is read them and decide if you want a forward midrange, with a recessed treble (that can be compensated for with EQ) and punchy but controlled bass, or if you want treble with a slightly recessed midrange. Coming from Grado, I'd probably suspect you would want the latter. 

Quote:
My friend has heard both and he says that the hd25 has more treble and more bass than the tma1, so the tma1 sound more neutral and smooth. He prefers the tma1 for a wide range of music.

Mar 5, 2011 at 8:40 PM Post #600 of 1,345

Thanks for everyones responses!  I guess I might be mistaking clarity for brightness.  I'll be sure to demo both of them and see which fits my ears the best.

Does anyone who owns both have an opinion on which would be best for hip hop?
Quote:
The bass is controlled but not lacking in the TMA-1s. The midrange is more forward sounding and heavier than the HD25s. The treble is more recessed than the HD25s... SO! To sum it all up, the TMA-1s have a darker sound signature, it isn't neutral in the slightest. If you have experience with other sennheisers, it is much like their general sound signature. TMA-1s are not really all that great for female vocal jazz or music that would suffer from a heavy midrange. Personally I don't think either is particularly superior. No matter what, the TMA-1 will be darker than the HD25s. You can compensate for this to a degree with EQ adjustment, but be aware that it will not make them brighter than the HD25s. The clamping force is less on the TMA-1sl. Durability is about equal I'd say. You can replace more on the HD25s, but the likelihood of replacing certain things is slim, in other words, what you can replace on the HD25s should never need replacing if you take care of them even a tiny bit. Also... the TMA-1s have clarity to spare. They are not really perfectly precise, but they are not meant to be, neither are the HD25s for that matter. DJ headphones are not meant for critical listening. Neither the HD25s or the TMA-1s are studio or reference headphones. Both have alright clarity and separation, but it is nothing to call home about. 

Overall, I think that the HD25-1s MIGHT be a safer bet. The TMA-1s are the kind of phone you either will enjoy or hate entirely. Just read through this thread, you'll see a lot of that. If you can audition the both of them, I'd highly recommend doing so. I didn't have a chance to properly audition the HD25-1s, but went with the TMA-1s because I could get them for cheaper. I'm happy with my decision, because honestly, I find the HD25-1s slightly too bright to my ears (granted, I need to do a full listening with them with my own music, as I only listened to them in store for about 30 minutes...). The TMA-1s are too dark, but sound better when I EQ them. 

You won't find many negative comprehensive reviews for either the HD25-1s or the TMA-1s. All comprehensive reviews are positive for both. My advice to you is read them and decide if you want a forward midrange, with a recessed treble (that can be compensated for with EQ) and punchy but controlled bass, or if you want treble with a slightly recessed midrange. Coming from Grado, I'd probably suspect you would want the latter. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back