AIAIAI TMA-1
Feb 9, 2011 at 6:40 AM Post #571 of 1,345
This makes me wonder a bit whether all of these are the same.

I've listened to quite a few pairs of headphones, and I hate headphones that are muffled.  While my pair of TMA-1 are definitely darker than most of my headphones, they are quite clear, and I would never call them muffled, shallow or hollow.

I agree for this kind of money it's possible to find a better sounding pair of headphones, but I definitely plan to keep these as my main portable cans.  I find it a little surprising that we hear these headphones THAT differently.

Also... yay, 1000 posts.

Feb 9, 2011 at 6:58 AM Post #572 of 1,345

Quote:
 I find it a little surprising that we hear these headphones THAT differently.

It is pretty interesting how we all perceive sound differently and this will, generally, create small contradictions in our individual impressions. However, when our perception seems totally opposite from eachother ("It's dark! No, it's bright!" 
normal_smile .gif
) there's mostly something else going on. I have tried several sources (Sony S370 bluray, Tascam DAC, Clip+) and listened with and without amp (Arrow 12HE). Comparing them to, for example, my HD580, DT880, HD25-1 II, K518DJ, HD668b, XB700 etc. I can't help but notice the recessed treble and chamber-resonance that creates a boxed-in and boomy signature compared to the other headphones I A/B'ed them with. The TMA-1 sounds, technically, inferior. Which, I must confess, is rather something of a letdown since I REALLY wanted to like them. Their looks combined with a sound matching the HD25-1 would make for an excellent portable/DJ headphone. 

Did you EQ them? I only listened to them with their stock-signature. No added EQ or enhancements.

Quote:
I'd definitely love to try these out, they look sleek. From what I've heard they resemble a closed version of the HD650s.

And this is just ridiculous. Keep it real guys... People buy stuff based on what's said in threads like these. Remarks like this make me wonder if AiAiAi is making accounts on Head-Fi. 
regular_smile .gif

Feb 9, 2011 at 9:06 AM Post #575 of 1,345

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
 Remarks like this make me wonder if AiAiAi is making accounts on Head-Fi.
regular_smile .gif

AiAiAi are a good bunch, and don't sell to only headfi members. I don't think they would do that.

I know. I wasn't being serious. I was just reacting on the guy that said the TMA-1 sounded like a HD650. 
normal_smile .gif

He might have gotten that from this review: link.

To quote a section of it:

"With the leather pads, the TMA-1 could be described as being the closed-back twin of the Sennheiser HD650, a warm, pleasing, yet balanced sound – with the foam pads they however sound like a more anemic AKG K701, lacking bass and having way too much treble. Seriously. Needless to say, I don’t like the foam pads very much". (Reviewer, 2010, Anythingbutipod.com)

I do have a small question. At the moment I'm using the NuForce Ne-7M's and I like how these sound, with my Samsung P2 as source playing mp3's of various bit-rates. Would the AIAIAI TMA-1 or rather the Phiaton Moderna MS 400 be a worthy upgrade from my IEM's? Was also looking at the Sennheiser HD 25-1 II, but I do not know if I might like its sound signature coming from the NuForce Ne-7M's, due to a review about these from someone else on Head-Fi, link and a quote:

In terms of presentation, the MS400 is an intimate-sounding headphone. Soundstage width is fairly average for a portable headphone – wider than the HD25-1 or a Grado, but not up there with the K181DJ or Philips SHP5400. Unlike the HD25-1, which has a narrow soundstage and manages to sound pretty distant at the same time, the sound of the MS400 envelops the listener very closely and extends outwards from there. The effect resulting from combining an intimate presentation with a bass-heavy sound signature is engaging and captivating. Can the MS400 be considered true audiophile portables? Probably not. But moving back to my HD25-1 I couldn’t help but be disappointed by the cold brightness, distant presentation, and slightly metallic highs of my beloved Sennheisers. (ljokerl)
Thanks for any input.

Regards,

Tinsley.

Feb 9, 2011 at 9:59 AM Post #576 of 1,345
Hey Tinsley,

since opinions seem to differ tremendously in here I will refrain from advising you on your next headphone purchase. 
wink_face.gif
 I can say though that in my opinion, and from my experience, the HD25-1 II is the best portable headphone I have owned. It's nearly indestructible, every part is user replaceable, they're quite comfortable (after a while) and the sound is balanced but can kick like a mule if it has to.

I do not understand Joker's "I couldn’t help but be disappointed by the cold brightness, distant presentation, and slightly metallic highs of my beloved Sennheisers." Distant and metallic these definitely are not. It sounds to me that the MS400 is extremely warm and dark sounding if you describe the HD25 as distant and cold in comparison. I haven't heard the MS400 though and, since I dislike their appearance and flashy plastics, I probably can't offer you any comparison between them and the HD25 in the future. 

Feb 9, 2011 at 10:01 AM Post #577 of 1,345
A direct comparison to the AKG 518 DJ would be really interesting for me. dfkt, I think you own the AKGs? You make some comparisons in your abi article. So how the the two compare? As you say, it sounds like an improved 518, so wath do you mean? Just better soundquality in generall with the closed characteristic? Or do you think the signature is somehow similar?

I have the AKG 518 DJ and the K530 laying around. And for me, the K530 is sometimes too harsh in the highs, especially on tracks like this: http://soundcloud.com/tensnake/coma-cat-snippet/
And how does the bass punch compare? I don't like the fact that I have to turn the volume to 70-100% with my iPod to get a nice punch. Is the TMA somehow better?

Thanks for help!

Feb 9, 2011 at 10:59 AM Post #578 of 1,345
@Negakinu: No offense, but you seem to be trying to tear down other people's opinions on something that is very individualized... It is only natural that you "don't understand" Joker's description if the HD25-1 IIs are quite perfect for you. Everyone has their own listening experiences with different phones. You cannot say that the TMA-1s are not good headphones just because you individually don't like them. Are they dark when flat? Yes, they are, but with certain songs and music they really shine. Are they prefect for everything? Definitely not. They do well with some EQing too. Personally I like how the TMA-1s sound. I agree 100% with dfkt's review on ABi. He is the person that said they have a signature similar to that of HD650. At no point did he suggest that the quality of the sound was the same, but only that the sound signature is more similar to those than the HD25s.

Basically what I am saying is that you won't know if you will truly like a headphone until you try it out, or unless you are getting a review from someone who seems to share your preference. From what I have read of dfkt's work, he and I share very similar preferences. Because of this I'll continue to look to his reviews when making decisions if he reviewed the headphones I am looking to buy. If you don't then chances are you won't like the headphones recommended, or if you do like them it is likely going to be for different reasons than the reviewer stated.

Now, I'll say this... I like the TMA-1s better than the M50s... I have not yet fully demoed the HD25-1 IIs to make a solid decision. I'm hoping to meet up with my friend Roma101, or some people at the NYC meet and demo them properly while doing comparisons with my TMA-1s. Every time I have had a chance to demo the HD25-1s have been with other people's music, (usually the music of the store I was in) and only for about 10-30 minutes. I'll also say that I find the TMA-1s to have superior build quality to the HD25-1s. The TMA-1s are very solidly constructed, and extremely flexible. I didn't feel comfortable putting the HD25-1s through its paces in the store, because if I happened to do something to them while there it would have been bad for my wallet... But I have put the TMA-1s through its paces and nary a scratch is on them after all I put them through.

I'm not saying your opinion is not valid, because it is very valid, but so are Joker's and dfkt's who both seem to like them.

-Kyuu

Feb 9, 2011 at 11:18 AM Post #579 of 1,345
The HD25-1 II are definitely on my shortlist now for things to try--I just wish they weren't so expensive in Canada.  I would not be surprised if they were better and more balanced than the TMA-1.

That said, for portable phones running from my MP3 player, I'm often not looking for balance and precision: I'm looking for a fun and forgiving sound signature that balances sufficient detail (which I do find they have) with a good amount of isolation, bassiness, and comfort.  For me, the TMA-1 meets all of those requirements, though I don't pull them out often at home.

Feb 9, 2011 at 12:15 PM Post #580 of 1,345

Quote:
@Negakinu: No offense, but you seem to be trying to tear down other people's opinions on something that is very individualized... It is only natural that you "don't understand" Joker's description if the HD25-1 IIs are quite perfect for you. Everyone has their own listening experiences with different phones. You cannot say that the TMA-1s are not good headphones just because you individually don't like them. 

[...]

I'll also say that I find the TMA-1s to have superior build quality to the HD25-1s. The TMA-1s are very solidly constructed, and extremely flexible. I 

[...]

I'm not saying your opinion is not valid, because it is very valid, but so are Joker's and dfkt's who both seem to like them.

-Kyuu

Heya Kyuu, thanks for your reaction. It seems you haven't read my posts on the previous page. That's alright, it's a pretty big thread and I can see where you're coming from. 
normal_smile .gif
  I've expressed several times that my opinions are just that: opinions. I base my opinions purely on my own experience and have made that very clear. In no way am I trying to "tear down other people's opinion". If you read my posts carefully you'll notice I'm just trying to counterbalance the "SWEET JEBUS! THESE CANS ARE A GIFT FROM GOD!" posts popping up in this forum. 
normal_smile .gif
 I know from experience it sucks when you buy into FOTMs that end up mediocre instead of stellar and am getting tired of all these superlatives used to describe a latest purchase. I've also written a bit earlier here how fond I am of the TMA-1's looks and comfort compared to my HD25-1. I really, really wanted to like this can and I tried but found the hype unjustified. That motivated me to discuss this in this thread. Hopefully I can help people understand that these are a set of cans you really have to audition before purchase to make sure they're your cup of darjeeling. Or mango. 

Feb 9, 2011 at 12:27 PM Post #581 of 1,345
Ah, my apologies then. Yeah, I agree with that... People who like them tend to hype them. Your counterbalance just seems off... I can totally agree that the TMA-1s need to be auditioned first, but then I feel that if possible, all headphones need to be auditioned. It is like me with the M50s... Most people love them, and they are one of the most recommended sets of headphones on this forum. I can see why they are, but they aren't my cup of tea... Ironically, I think I'd have liked them more a few years ago, I feel like my perception of music has changed as I have gotten older and my tastes evolved. But that is neither here nor there...

I understand your feelings about them unEQ'ed though... You really have to have the right song for them to be fully enjoyable unEQ'ed... If not, a treble increase is really necessary to bring out the full potential of the Aiaiai TMA-1s. If you are a purist who believes that the EQ should be flat all the time, then the TMA-1s are certainly not for you, unless you have a preference for dark sound signatures. I know for the majority of my music, I have a slight increase in treble... It isn't great, but just enough to really make it sparkle, and they sound surprisingly good after that. Which is what Curly expressed pretty well right here:http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/526956/head-to-head-aiaiai-tma-1-vs-audio-technica-ath-m50-tma-1-review#post_7106602

They aren't the best cans I have listened to... I think that honor goes to HD800s, which is unfortunate since I don't have the $1500 to spend on them, not including the dedicated Amp that I would need to bring out their full potential.

Feb 9, 2011 at 12:41 PM Post #583 of 1,345
For closed cans of their size and class? Very good... They have a pretty decent soundstage... It is among the best I have heard thus far from closed cans of this class. I can't compare them to the K518 or K530 though...

Feb 9, 2011 at 7:54 PM Post #584 of 1,345

Quote:
We're having a sale on the TMA-1s through Monday.  If you're interested in a pair, you can pick them up for $150 until 11:59PM EST.  Free shipping in the U.S.A. and at-cost shipping to anywhere else.

http://www.dijitalfix.com/store/AIA-TMA-1.html

Aw man, what? I just ordered mine from you guys last Thursday, @ $199. And I was just told this afternoon, that they just finally shipped out yesterday or today. Not happy about this, at all.

Feb 9, 2011 at 8:32 PM Post #585 of 1,345

Quote:
Quote:
We're having a sale on the TMA-1s through Monday.  If you're interested in a pair, you can pick them up for $150 until 11:59PM EST.  Free shipping in the U.S.A. and at-cost shipping to anywhere else.

http://www.dijitalfix.com/store/AIA-TMA-1.html

Aw man, what? I just ordered mine from you guys last Thursday, @ $199. And I was just told this afternoon, that they just finally shipped out yesterday or today. Not happy about this, at all.

Hopefully he will fix that, he was really nice about giving me a deal a bit after it expired on these. If not, you live and learn.

I had my paypal set up with the wrong account once, and I got charged a $40 over-withdrawal fee when I tried to donate $0.13 to a "pay-what-you-want" Album.  You just have to learn from experiences like that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back