AIAIAI TMA-1
Jan 5, 2011 at 1:01 AM Post #526 of 1,345
Jan 5, 2011 at 1:36 AM Post #527 of 1,345
Quote:
If you only bought a cable because the coiled one was an inconvenience, why did all of you buy $15+ cables when you can easily find one for $3 at monoprice?

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021802&p_id=5578&seq=1&format=4#feedback

The cable is too thick, the adapters are too big and it's too long. It also looks like a $1.75 cable.

I'm not going to lie, one of the pros of these headphones are their looks, which is why there is a premium price tag on them. I want to keep it all looking like the product I paid for.

And don't get me wrong, I like MonoPrice and buy things from them all the time. In fact I have a 3.5mm male -> 2 3.5mm female splitter on it's way right now. Their cables don't meet all the needs for my headphones though.

Jan 5, 2011 at 2:08 AM Post #528 of 1,345

Quote:
If you only bought a cable because the coiled one was an inconvenience, why did all of you buy $15+ cables when you can easily find one for $3 at monoprice?

Because $12 is the price of a burger meal, so why wouldn't you get the cable you like?

Jan 5, 2011 at 11:28 AM Post #530 of 1,345
Jan 5, 2011 at 12:36 PM Post #531 of 1,345

Quote:
Quote:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021802&p_id=5578&seq=1&format=4#feedback

those cables are wide and stiff. why does it matter if someone wants to spend $15 on a cable? I spent closer to $25 recabling mine for dual entry *gasp*

Just wondering, but why would someone want to do that? Not being condecending here, actually wondering why.

I find a single cord easier to deal with, and the fact that it is replaceable even more so. Why make it non replaceable, and make the headphones harder to put on as well? Did it add sound quality?

Jan 5, 2011 at 1:35 PM Post #532 of 1,345

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

those cables are wide and stiff. why does it matter if someone wants to spend $15 on a cable? I spent closer to $25 recabling mine for dual entry *gasp*

Just wondering, but why would someone want to do that? Not being condecending here, actually wondering why.

I find a single cord easier to deal with, and the fact that it is replaceable even more so. Why make it non replaceable, and make the headphones harder to put on as well? Did it add sound quality?

Didn't do much for sound quality.. personal preference really. there's no added difficulty in putting the headphones on with dual entry - not sure why you think there would be. I just don't like single entry cables. i was an early adopter and so all I really had available was the coil cord. I've actually since modified my original re-cable by stripping all the sheathing off from my canare mini-star quad and recovered just the small wires with heat shrink. I also ditched the heavy viablue y-splitter for spare rca strain relief and a couple layers of shrink tubing i had. it's very light and I have zero cable pull on my cans.

to me, it's just as replaceable ..but not everyone is handy with a soldering iron or comfortable with hacking their $200 headphones. i'll take an updated pic and add it when i get home tonight. the heat shrink cable appears very oem with this particular pair of headphones.

Jan 5, 2011 at 2:02 PM Post #534 of 1,345
Spent some time with a friend's TMA-1 and directly compared them to my own HD25-1 II. Amped them with an Arrow 12HE. A/B'ed forth and back listening to a wide variety of genres, from dubstep to jazz to heavy metal. 

The HD25-1 II trumps the TMA-1 on every level but bass-extension. The TMA-1 hits lower and deeper but when going from the TMA-1 to the HD25-1 II it feels like lifting a blanket from your head. They sound muffled and veiled without any treble sparkle compared to the Sennheiser. They have a bass heavy signature with some decent mid-region. In my opinion, their treble feels terribly recessed and this makes them seem very undetailed. I can't believe some people here are calling this thing a direct competitor to the HD25-1 II. Even to my friend, who likes his headphones extremely bassy, it was instantly clear that the HD25 was superior and offered much better fidelity. 

They look great though and are a little more comfortable to wear than the HD25-1 II. They seal well but isolate less than the HD25-1 II. I love the matte-black finish and coiled cable around the drivers. I wouldn't recommend them to anyone using them for other genres than bass heavy electronica like dubstep/breakcore/idm etc. I also think they're very overpriced compared to headphones like the ATH-M50. 

Jan 5, 2011 at 4:28 PM Post #535 of 1,345

Quote:
Spent some time with a friend's TMA-1 and directly compared them to my own HD25-1 II. Amped them with an Arrow 12HE. A/B'ed forth and back listening to a wide variety of genres, from dubstep to jazz to heavy metal. 

The HD25-1 II trumps the TMA-1 on every level but bass-extension. The TMA-1 hits lower and deeper but when going from the TMA-1 to the HD25-1 II it feels like lifting a blanket from your head. They sound muffled and veiled without any treble sparkle compared to the Sennheiser. They have a bass heavy signature with some decent mid-region. In my opinion, their treble feels terribly recessed and this makes them seem very undetailed. I can't believe some people here are calling this thing a direct competitor to the HD25-1 II. Even to my friend, who likes his headphones extremely bassy, it was instantly clear that the HD25 was superior and offered much better fidelity. 

They look great though and are a little more comfortable to wear than the HD25-1 II. They seal well but isolate less than the HD25-1 II. I love the matte-black finish and coiled cable around the drivers. I wouldn't recommend them to anyone using them for other genres than bass heavy electronica like dubstep/breakcore/idm etc. I also think they're very overpriced compared to headphones like the ATH-M50. 

Did you try EQ'ing them at all? I didn't experience any of these problems with my pair, even when I went to the store to compare the two.

Jan 5, 2011 at 5:18 PM Post #536 of 1,345

Quote:

Their premium cables are super thick, heavy, and almost doesn't flex. They're great for things that don't move, like plugging something to the back of a receiver, they're not meant to be a headphone cable. Their regular, non-premium, cables are also a little on the thick side. What I wanted was a small and discrete plug, lightweight, tangle free, and a memory effect-less cable that is quality built. But if you're fine with monoprice cables then go for it, they should sound no different from the nuforce cable that I bought.

Jan 5, 2011 at 11:24 PM Post #538 of 1,345
Jan 5, 2011 at 11:42 PM Post #539 of 1,345

Quote:
That was just an example. Here's a better one:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021802&p_id=644&seq=1&format=4#feedback

I'm just saying, why buy a $15 cable when you can get one for $1? I know it's not much money, but still. Would you rather buy a pair of headphones for $300 or $200? No matter the cost, less expensive equals better if the products are the same. Why waste money when you don't need to?

uhhh... free will?

Jan 6, 2011 at 12:20 AM Post #540 of 1,345
Quote:
That was just an example. Here's a better one:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021802&p_id=644&seq=1&format=4#feedback

I'm just saying, why buy a $15 cable when you can get one for $1? I know it's not much money, but still. Would you rather buy a pair of headphones for $300 or $200? No matter the cost, less expensive equals better if the products are the same. Why waste money when you don't need to?

Again: the adapters are too big and it looks like a $1 cable, a $1 cable on $200 headphones. We're willing to spend the money to keep our products looking as they intended. It's not necessarily a "better product" because it's cheaper if it doesn't fit our needs. If it fits your needs, very well, move along.

Comparison with a cheap "behind the scenes" cable:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back