AIAIAI TMA-1
Nov 9, 2010 at 4:12 AM Post #182 of 1,345

Quote:

Of course your opinion is of interest, and I bet there are lots of Headfiers that are particularly interested in comparrisons between TMA-1 and T50P, and HD25 II, ESW9, and other similar headphones.  I am interested in more of your impressions of the TMA-1 (especially in relation to your thoughts of the portable Beyer) once you have had more listening time.

Nov 10, 2010 at 11:53 AM Post #183 of 1,345
Although the following article is not really intended to be read by the audiophile market, my favorite digital-DJ rag just released their review of the TMA-1:

http://www.djtechtools.com/2010/11/09/tma-1-heaphone-review/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+djtechtools+%28djtechtools.com%29&utm_content=Google+Feedfetcher

Nov 13, 2010 at 4:19 PM Post #186 of 1,345

Quote:
I like the TMA-1 better than the HD25, indeed. For listening, at home and on the go, that is - for serious DJing the HD25 have the better form factor and clamping force, IMO.

Agreed.  I would say that the HD25 isolate better as a result of that clamping force.  I prefer the sound signature of the TMA-1 over the HD25, however I wouldn't call it an "upgrade" over the Senn, simply a viable alternative, that some will like better.  I feel that the TMA-1 extends deeper than the HD25 and is a little more detailed, slightly less forward, and as a result having a bigger/better sound stage, albeit not huge in itself.  I think that the TMA-1 is easier to listen to (although not laid back), has more fun factor.

My experience with the HD25 is limited to less than 30 minutes; I recently had an opportunity to listen to them.

Nov 13, 2010 at 9:57 PM Post #188 of 1,345
Cool, thanks for the replies. I'm gonna sell a couple pairs of headphones I have right now (Senn HD25s and Sony MDRV500) and spend that on the TMA-1's. However, I'm debating whether I should get the TMA1's or the Allen & Heath XD-53's. 

Nov 14, 2010 at 7:44 AM Post #189 of 1,345

Quote:
Quote:
I like the TMA-1 better than the HD25, indeed. For listening, at home and on the go, that is - for serious DJing the HD25 have the better form factor and clamping force, IMO.

Agreed.  I would say that the HD25 isolate better as a result of that clamping force.  I prefer the sound signature of the TMA-1 over the HD25, however I wouldn't call it an "upgrade" over the Senn, simply a viable alternative, that some will like better.  I feel that the TMA-1 extends deeper than the HD25 and is a little more detailed, slightly less forward, and as a result having a bigger/better sound stage, albeit not huge in itself.  I think that the TMA-1 is easier to listen to (although not laid back), has more fun factor.

My experience with the HD25 is limited to less than 30 minutes; I recently had an opportunity to listen to them.

Last week I bought the HD 25 1 II out of curiosity, listened to them for about 20 min, put them back in the carton and send them back.
I don't know anything about DJing, but as dfkt said "for listening, at home and on the go" it's an absolutely no-go for me.
Unbearable clamping force, very shrill to my ears and hissing as I've never heard before (Muse, Absolution, Apocalypse please).
I also thought the pleather quality not as good as the TMA-1 ones.
Regarding the shrill sound and "hissing", perhaps these phones were defective somehow, or I'm just extremly sensitive to highs.

Right now I'm really content with the TMA-1. They are! fun and very musical sounding to me, much more than the T50p I've to admit ...

Nov 14, 2010 at 9:15 AM Post #190 of 1,345
(Double-post spam, over from the portable rig photo thread - the AIAIAI thread needs more posts!)

Days are getting colder, so I've been mostly using my jacket-pocket-able player and my ear-warmer phones. Nothing beats matte black combined with matte black, 'murdered out' as the kids say. Yeh, it sounds as good as it looks.
wink.gif

96280374052461926698.jpg

Nov 14, 2010 at 10:09 AM Post #192 of 1,345

Quote:
Nice pic dfkt!

Have you experienced the inner headband pad peeling problem (say that 10 times fast) as others have mentioned?

I had this when i got mine, but it was hard to tell if it was a defect or a result of my peeling it off for the recable. in any case, I pressed it down a few random times over a week or two and haven't had an issue. uncool that you should need to do that? sure ..worth sending it back and missing out on these? not really..

Nov 14, 2010 at 10:32 AM Post #194 of 1,345

Quote:
No, my headband has been fine until now - and I didn't treat it gently either. Had to show off to my friends how 'squeeze-able' the plastic of the TMA-1 is (bending it to a pretzel, straightening it flat, etc). :wink:

Good to know.  I'm thinking of getting rid of my HD 280 Pros and was contemplating replacing them with the HFI-780s, but this thread really has me thinking now.

I liked my HD 25 SPs and from what I can gather these are fairly similar.

Nov 14, 2010 at 10:44 AM Post #195 of 1,345
I don't have much experience with the SP, only listened to them a few minutes in stores, but compared to the regular studio-version HD25 the TMA-1 differ quite a bit, especially in the treble regions. The TMA are less in-your-face, yet more refined - more like the HD650 or SM3 in that aspect. Treble that isn't forward, but very precise and detailed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back