AIAIAI TMA-1
Nov 1, 2010 at 4:55 PM Post #152 of 1,345
I'd really like to make these my first real headphone purchase, but I can't help getting a feeling they look kinda dorky when you actually wear them due to the headband being fixed at the outer of the housing rather than at the "top" of it 
confused_face.gif

example:

Nov 1, 2010 at 9:07 PM Post #154 of 1,345
Yes, that's downright svelt. Go out into the world with some Ultrasones on, or HD280s. There was a funny video years ago of a guy during a head-fi meet, going out and talking to women while wearing K1000s. "Aren't my headphones soooo coool??"  - Really it's getting better for portable closed cans.

Nov 2, 2010 at 1:24 AM Post #156 of 1,345
^^ Descriptions please.....

Nov 2, 2010 at 4:01 AM Post #157 of 1,345
does anybody actually prefer the foam pads over the pleather ones?
because the foam ones just sound weird to me.

and cn11, I don't think I can really give a good explanation because I'm not an audiophile and I just know if I like it, its good.
the reviews that other people did would be a lot better then mine but I agree with what everybody else is saying.
if your debating on whether to get them or not...i'd say get them. they're awesome.
the only problem I have is the comfort with my right ear. but I think that may be a personal problem, i think my ears are oddly shaped.

Nov 2, 2010 at 4:32 AM Post #158 of 1,345
My foam pad still inside sealed packaging. Never bother to try as the leather provide just enough isolation, any lower will be bad. The porous nature of foam pad will also affect the bass.

Nov 2, 2010 at 5:23 AM Post #159 of 1,345
My TMA-1s arrived today, so I will post a full review soon, but in the meantime some quick impressions.  As to the foam pads, I agree with with radio-head and toughnuts assumptions.  The foam pads are useless in my opinion, isolation and leakage are affected, but worse the sound becomes, thin, tinny and distant, and requires hand pressure on the cups for anything approaching decent sound; forget the foam pads.  With the pleather pads the TMA-1 sounds a bit Grado like, forward, mid centric with limited sound stage.

Very early stages yet, but the sound is quite good, fairly balanced with the ability to produce decent bass when needed, but not a typical bass focussed DJ headphone.  Perhaps missing some upper end nuances, it seems a little rolled off in the highs, but I need to spend some listening time to give a more precise view.  Detail seems reasonable, without matching the ESW9 and other top end portables.  Instrument separation could be better (they are forward and have a small soundstage), resulting in the aiaiai struggling a little with complex music, being a bit muddy when there is a lot happening at once.  Initial impression is that of a closed Grado, with slightly more of a bass focus at the expense of the high end spectrum.  The mid focus does remind me a bit of the HD25, but I have spent little quality time with the DJ/portable Senn  and I am relying on memory, to comment with any great accuracy.

Build quality of the TMA-1 seems solid. I think the supra-aural design will result in many suffering from the usual ear comfort issues after wearing them for reasonably long periods (plus 2 hours), despite the fact that these do not clamp that hard and they are quite light. The headband offers virtually no padding at all and may cause some discomfort again [size=9pt]regardless of [/size] their weight. The coiled cable is a pain in the butt, causing weight issue inbalances due to the single sided entry (it has to go in my opinion and I have a replacement from Monster on the way).

Size wise they are about the same size as a HD25, the cups are fairly deep, they do fit around the neck when not on the head, but they do not fold up at all for transporting.

Nov 2, 2010 at 9:32 PM Post #161 of 1,345

Quote:
I'd just like to mention: I told you so. :p

Seriously, these cans aren't perfect ..but it sure is hard NOT to enjoy them.

haha yea you were right.
but this cord is seriously bothering me too long and thick and heavy.
whats the actual name for a replacement cable?
headphone replacement cable?

Nov 2, 2010 at 11:47 PM Post #165 of 1,345
i'm thinking of getting the cardas mini to mini but its kind of expensive $45.
is it worth it or are there cheaper ones that you could recommend?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back