AGAINST JH/UE DRIVER WARS: A First view of EarSonics EM3-Pro Customs
Feb 21, 2011 at 4:08 AM Post #138 of 170
would a em3pro reshelled with unique melody and extra driver sound the same? that is what i aim to get... =)

Feb 21, 2011 at 9:55 AM Post #140 of 170

Quote:
would a em3pro reshelled with unique melody and extra driver sound the same? that is what i aim to get... =)

Adding a drive to an EM3 Pro so it will sound the same; If you want the same sound, why add a driver?  And I believe UM won't reshell an EM3 Pro because it is solid acrylic.

Quote:
I still cannot decide between UE Reference with EM3pro, which one has most natural and realistic sound, anyone can help?

I don't think there is anyone that has the two.  I would guess the EM3 Pro is more musical, but the IERM is more accurate/realistic.  The EM3 Pro is on the warm side of neutral...

Feb 21, 2011 at 2:47 PM Post #141 of 170

Quote:

That's a very strange thing to do. If you think that more=better, you're making a big mistake.

Feb 22, 2011 at 7:14 PM Post #142 of 170
Quote:
That's a very strange thing to do. If you think that more=better, you're making a big mistake.

No I was just wondering thats all, to see if anyones done it, that kind of thing.

Quote:
And I believe UM won't reshell an EM3 Pro because it is solid acrylic. 

Are you serious? Does that mean I can't get a remould? =S

Feb 22, 2011 at 7:18 PM Post #143 of 170

Quote:
Quote:

No I was just wondering thats all, to see if anyones done it, that kind of thing.

Are you serious? Does that mean I can't get a remould? =S

Most people I've seen that add drivers end up selling them at substantial loss.  You can get a remold just use somebody else.

Feb 23, 2011 at 1:11 AM Post #144 of 170

Quote:

Most people I've seen that add drivers end up selling them at substantial loss.  You can get a remold just use somebody else.

Who do you know that added drivers and ended up selling?

Quote:
The TWag arrived! (pre-cooked) the synergy with the EM3pro's is scary, I couldnt stop! the listening session ended at 3am. The aural pleasure that these customs gave me, now clearly succeeded the JH13pro's. The slight precision I was missing was now there, the bass was somehow more controlled, the highs and the soundstage... oh my... oh my...

Technically I still cannot say which one is better, as both are amazing, many may still prefer the monitoresque sound of the JH13pro's, but the EM3pro's stimulate my senses in an indescribable way, aural nirvana... Musically, I can convincingly say that I prefer them and this is what matters most to me. Amazing what cable synergy can do....

Now to wait for the pico slim....

I just finished cooking my Whiplash Elite TWag v2 cable and wow, you are so right, the synergy with the EM3 Pro is scary!  I A/Bed them with the stock cable and let me just say that with 2 of the 3 tracks I tested far, they made a nice difference in space and clarity while somehow reducing the mid-bass but not reducing the richness of the sound.  I really didn't like the combination of the Clip+ with the EM3 Pro, but now I can say I actually think they sound great together!  My three test tracks included Yes - It Can Happen; Eric Clapton - Layla; Armin van Buuren - Sail.  After a lot of switching back and forth (I really hope the plugs on the EM3 Pro hold up) the cable seems to separate the presentation more precisely improving the clarity as the tracks became more complex.  When the complexity was low, the only difference was the overall size, which was, on average, slightly larger.  But with the Elite TWag cable the more distant queues became much more distant. My biggest complaint about the EM3 Pro was the size of the space in comparison with my two other customs.  With the TWag cable, the space has improved to nearly the sized of the Fabs and the presentation has seemed to move slightly more in front of me than all around me, which is a good thing IMO.

Am I happy with my TWag purchase, yes, very.  The cable improves the technical ability of the EM3 Pro while making sound more musical to my ears; well done Whiplash!  And I am replacing my 601 with an 801, so I don't have a HiFiMan source, but I was very happy with the 601 synergy with the EM3 Pro; I am looking forward to the 801 now that I have the Whiplash  TWag cable.  

Feb 23, 2011 at 1:26 AM Post #145 of 170
^^  I've seen 3-4 people put their remolded multiple multi TF10s or other hybrid UM creations up in FS.  Been about 3-4 months since I saw the last one.  Seemed like the craze was dying down which makes sense to me.  Don't recall names off the top.  

Feb 23, 2011 at 2:15 AM Post #146 of 170
Only the TF10 remolds with additional drivers?  OK, but I don't think UM will remold the EM3 Pro anyways (check the Chinese site) as they are solid acrylic, not shells.  If I recall correctly, even Earsonics said they can not be remolded.

Feb 23, 2011 at 2:46 AM Post #147 of 170

Quote:
Only the TF10 remolds with additional drivers?  OK, but I don't think UM will remold the EM3 Pro anyways (check the Chinese site) as they are solid acrylic, not shells.  If I recall correctly, even Earsonics said they can not be remolded.

Yes, I was referring to the TF10 Franken builds.  Even some of the 530 Frankens too I think.

Feb 23, 2011 at 3:32 AM Post #148 of 170

Quote:
OMG, that's the flattest graph I've ever seen of a pair of headphones/IEMs!!!!! Are the EM3's frequency response really that flat?
Wish I've seen this before I got my 18 Pro. 
triportsad.gif

Here is the perceived hearing response of several people http://i395.photobucket.com/albums/pp33/Spirit-o-N-/1000x500px-LL-59014580_HRTF.png?t=1298449861 that has been inverted on the x and y axis to show an ideal neutral response.

That graph is a roller coaster in comparison.

Feb 26, 2011 at 9:19 AM Post #149 of 170
I have to ask, for those who know about SM3s and the EM3-Pros, would a remolded SM3 sound exactly like the EM3-Pros?

Or rather what makes the EM3-Pro different from the SM3 other than the custom fit and the price tag?

Feb 26, 2011 at 10:38 AM Post #150 of 170

Quote:
I have to ask, for those who know about SM3s and the EM3-Pros, would a remolded SM3 sound exactly like the EM3-Pros?

Or rather what makes the EM3-Pro different from the SM3 other than the custom fit and the price tag?

[size=medium]
The SM3 is a 3-way system (2 crossovers) and the EM3 Pro is a 2-way design.  The drivers are of course also different, with the EM3 Pro drivers being much larger, and the one post I remember from someone that had their SM3 reshelled and had access to a SM3 reported minor differences between the two.

So no, they will sound different.  The EM3 Pro is clearer, has more bass power with a little less warmth but better punch, the midrange is a little less thick and has less upper mid emphasis, and the treble is more prominent with better detail.
[/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back