AGAINST JH/UE DRIVER WARS: A First view of EarSonics EM3-Pro Customs
Aug 14, 2010 at 3:00 PM Post #122 of 170
OMG, that's the flattest graph I've ever seen of a pair of headphones/IEMs!!!!! Are the EM3's frequency response really that flat?
Wish I've seen this before I got my 18 Pro. 
triportsad.gif

Quote:
First, here is the freq graph, but dont draw conclusions from it, this graph doesnt show the harmonics, which IMO are the magic of EarSonics:

You have the EM3pros's dont worry. One bore is for the double bass armatures and the other is for the mid-high armatures. I had exactly the same experience that you describe. Our ears are not accustomed to the harmonics at the high freqs that the EM3pro renders (especially coming from the etys), call it burn-in but in around 150-200 hours of play you will start hearing the best musical reproduction youve ever heard, you will hear more details than with the er4's thats what happened to me.

Just relax and play them, they will bloom! this is the experience of almost everyone that has changed to earsonics...

Aug 14, 2010 at 3:04 PM Post #123 of 170

The reason for having more drivers (JH 16 & UE 18) is because they are designed for pro musicians who needed more headroom in their customs so they won't get distortion if they are heavily driven. So in theory, they don't actually improve the sound quality.
Quote:
So for those that are fortunate to own either 13 or a 16 pro and the EM3 pro the driver count does not necessarily mean better SQ then?

Don't like to talk numbers with how many drivers etc, but does make me wonder if the EM3 can produce a good as standard in sound with it's 3 drivers albeit a different sound Sig then why so many drivers with the JHpros?

Aug 15, 2010 at 2:23 AM Post #126 of 170

Neither JH or UE were hiding that fact, they did mention that in their descriptions of the JH 16 and UE 18, and that's why they didn't cost a lot more than the models below them with less drivers, and they are exactly as what they claimed they are.
If the EM3 Pros are really that flat, I think I'm very interested in them, so one can just order them through their website?

Quote:
^^^ ahhh just as i thought,... they just make it louder.

bump for more people to read this.

and yes they sound as flat as that graph looks.

Aug 15, 2010 at 2:37 AM Post #127 of 170
true, i'm relatively new to this audiophile stuff but i never understood how a clearly stated statement like " more headroom" translated into better sound quality for the average listener.

and yeah either through their website or email them and you'll probably get Franck Lopez himself or his very able assistan Priscille, both of which are a pleasure to deal with.

they're flat but syrupy.

Aug 15, 2010 at 4:14 AM Post #128 of 170

[size=medium]
I don't think more headroom is that useful for audiophiles, it's just the safety zone the sound signal is in before clipping or distortion happens. It's not going to kill someone if he can hear a little bit of distortion in his speakers or phones, he can just turn it down a little or use a more powerful amp. But if there is a distortion during a recording, it pretty much render it useless.
[/size]

Quote:
true, i'm relatively new to this audiophile stuff but i never understood how a clearly stated statement like " more headroom" translated into better sound quality for the average listener.

and yeah either through their website or email them and you'll probably get Franck Lopez himself or his very able assistan Priscille, both of which are a pleasure to deal with.

they're flat but syrupy.

Aug 15, 2010 at 7:34 PM Post #129 of 170
more headroom is the opposite of what audiophiles would want, which is why these driver wars surprise me. 

the louder you go the less precise you hear the signal cos its your own ears reacting to protect themselves.

Dec 19, 2010 at 10:22 AM Post #132 of 170
The EM3 Pro shell is solid hard acrylic and are extremely rugged.  I got the EM3 Pro because I like the sound of the SM3 (quite a bit) and wanted to have that sound, but with increased quality.  My comparison results are here (as you already know :wink:)

Jan 13, 2011 at 9:47 AM Post #134 of 170

Quote:
em3's + Sound devices USBPre 2 as dac and amp = pure heaven!

so so clean and balanced across the range, its like i got a new set of em3's  
ksc75smile.gif

[size=medium]
Funny, I was just thinking the same thing with the HiFiMan 601!
[/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back