Aesthetic vs sound quality
Apr 23, 2011 at 11:58 AM Post #16 of 37
I wear IEMs out in public most of the time, but its not for looks - its for convenience.
However, if you are self-conscious about your looks, go with IEMs.

If I ever did buy a portable, I would buy the AKG K81DJ. (I'm a budget shopper and I can get them under $50 off amazon.)
They look pretty good, IMO.

Most portables are made to look good. Why? because they are portable, duh! (not all portable looks good and some styles are from the 80s...)

Apr 23, 2011 at 3:01 PM Post #17 of 37
I'm currently on the hunt for a headphone that I can be happy with for portable use. Looks are less important, but they do factor in...

I honestly may have to to just sped the money on a pair of ES10s. They're friggin expensive, but they looks fabulous...and from what I hear, sound that way too...

Apr 23, 2011 at 3:01 PM Post #18 of 37
I'm currently on the hunt for a headphone that I can be happy with for portable use. Looks are less important, but they do factor in...

I honestly may have to to just sped the money on a pair of ES10s. They're friggin expensive, but they looks fabulous...and from what I hear, sound that way too...

Apr 23, 2011 at 5:46 PM Post #19 of 37
What ridicule?  I may get some funny looks, but that's it.  Besides, I take quality over aesthetics any day.  If someone wants to make of my cans, thats' fine.  I don't care.  They sound great, and that's all that matters.  

Apr 23, 2011 at 6:04 PM Post #20 of 37
Ugliest headphones I own would have to be my Fostex T50RP.  If I went walking down the street with them.... no one would care.
I might get an occasional reaction with an ESW9, I suppose, but I no longer own one.
I went around with 7509HD the other day just to see how people react, and although it did seem to draw some slight attention, the looks said, "Oh, Sonys..."

Anyway, I'm okay with gear in general being ugly, as long as they sound great.

Apr 23, 2011 at 6:17 PM Post #21 of 37
Most headphones I have I find very sexy. My lower-fi headphones(XB500 and, before I discovered how terrible they were, Beat Solo HD) both are very stylish in their own right, and my M50s don't really stick out TOO much from my head.

Apr 23, 2011 at 8:53 PM Post #22 of 37
I use the HD25s daily and couldn't give a pair of fetid dingos' kidneys about what people think. I honestly don't get strange looks with them on, so whatever. I wouldn't care anyway, they rock my face off.

Apr 23, 2011 at 9:25 PM Post #23 of 37

That's the secret. With a full beard, you can wear w/e the f you want. I wore Grados for a while before switching to my DJ1s. I thought it had its style.
Quote:
I wear my Shure SRH840s in public... which in all fairness are pretty ridiculous looking, but I'm 6 foot 1, 245lbs, full beard, look like a lumberjack. Nobody even dares to crack a smile let alone a laugh. 

Apr 23, 2011 at 10:59 PM Post #25 of 37
sound. then comfort. then looks.

Apr 24, 2011 at 10:47 AM Post #28 of 37

Or you could get some WS70 for on the go. ES10s on the go is just overkill unless you are using it in a silent library or something, their noise isolation is not good enough to block out all the noise to make their improved sound quality over phones like M50 that noticeable.

Apr 24, 2011 at 10:53 AM Post #29 of 37

Or you could get some WS70 for on the go. ES10s on the go is just overkill unless you are using it in a silent library or something, their noise isolation is not good enough to block out all the noise to make their improved sound quality over phones like M50 that noticeable.

Yeah. I am thinking about those as well. Will probably end up there, just trying to find a good deal on ES10s, I guess.

Apr 24, 2011 at 1:35 PM Post #30 of 37
Remember, what is considered asthetically pleasing is subjective and changes quite a bit over time.  For example, there was a time when it was fashionable for men to wear bell-bottom jeans not so much now.  In the case of headphones, one could say that asthetics is not really quite as important as how well it performs its actual function.  Clothing serves an asthetic purpose to which they change quite often(especially for the female population) an issue that headphones are not u=subject too.  Why?  Because, headphones(until recently) were not considered arcticles of clothing or fashion.  Personally, asthetics is not really an issue as long as the headphones perform their core function well.  Regardless, high quality headphones rarely come across as ugly.  Don't believe me?  Well let this lady convince you otherwise.-

Ah, the timeless classic that is the AKG K240.  Skullcandy? Pfft!  Beats by Dre? Please!  AKG invented headphone style!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back