Aesthetic vs sound quality
Apr 23, 2011 at 3:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

inarc

100+ Head-Fier
For those of you that wear huge ugly headphones in public (opinion)
Aside from enjoying your audio bliss, how can you stand the ridicule you receive?

Apr 23, 2011 at 3:34 AM Post #3 of 37
For those of you that wear huge ugly headphones in public (opinion)
Aside from enjoying your audio bliss, how can you stand the ridicule you receive?

I have some seriously long, puffy hair that looks like its from the 70s. The hair on the side of my head flares freaking awesome like.
Kinda have a mullet going, hairs in the eyes. I plan on wearing my JVC HA-RX700 in public once I get them.

If anything, headphones make me look better - keeps the hair down. I get mistaken for a girl from behind every once in a while.

If I can live with my hair and not care what anyone else thinks because I think its awesome, I can live with wearing bulky, ugly headphones.
Oh, yeah, I have a goatee, too. Awesome hair + goatee + natural look on my face that make me look like I'ma kill you = Bad looks everywhere I go.
( I seriously do get looks every time I go to the store >.> Recently got 3 inches cut off all around my head...*cry*)

If you live in east orlnado, Florida (UCF/Waterford Lakes area) look for me! :p

Apr 23, 2011 at 4:01 AM Post #4 of 37
I wear my Shure SRH840s in public... which in all fairness are pretty ridiculous looking, but I'm 6 foot 1, 245lbs, full beard, look like a lumberjack. Nobody even dares to crack a smile let alone a laugh. 

Now Jecklin Floats? No thanks! LOL

Apr 23, 2011 at 5:32 AM Post #5 of 37
Get portable headphones for portable use. There are excellent sounding iems or smaller headphones. If the headphones are that ugly in your opinion, then is the paranoia worth it?  If you can't enjoy music out of lesser equipment, then you're probably missing the point of music all together.

Apr 23, 2011 at 5:49 AM Post #7 of 37
My headphones have to both sound good AND look good. Not for everyone else, but for myself. Besides, I think full sized headphones are a bit too much for public use anyway. It has to be really low profile, like a PX100, ES7. Even then, I think I'd just get IEMs. Most portables are either ugly, or uncomfortable. I absolutely will NOT sacrifice comfort, which is just as important as sound to me.

If the KSC75 didn't look so goofy for public use, I'd be more than happy to sport them like nobody's business. They're awesome. The fact that they're open makes it easier for me to pay attention to my surroundings.

Apr 23, 2011 at 6:17 AM Post #8 of 37
You know what? Times like this is when I'm just going to jump the gun and recommend the M50s.

Granted that it's a little heavy and slightly bulky, but I personally (and probably quite a lot of Head-fiers) use the M50s as outdoor cans. Let's face it: it looks rugged, can fold and has a coiled cable :D

Sound-wise, it's very versatile and has very good isolation. Of course, there are definitely more portable cans out there, but then again you're posting on the Full-sized section...

Cheers.

Apr 23, 2011 at 7:56 AM Post #9 of 37

Quote:
You know what? Times like this is when I'm just going to jump the gun and recommend the M50s.

Granted that it's a little heavy and slightly bulky, but I personally (and probably quite a lot of Head-fiers) use the M50s as outdoor cans. Let's face it: it looks rugged, can fold and has a coiled cable
biggrin.gif

Sound-wise, it's very versatile and has very good isolation. Of course, there are definitely more portable cans out there, but then again you're posting on the Full-sized section...

Cheers.

I love the fact that, even in a thread where no recommendations were even asked for, the M50s are still recommended. What is wrong with head-fi lately??!!! Next I'm going to be in the high-end forum, and somebody will ask what to replace their HE-90's with... "M50s man, they're the best headphones out there plus you don't have to lug around that big ugly glass thing everywhere". 

Apr 23, 2011 at 8:25 AM Post #10 of 37
Aw damn. Mistake on my part, didn't read properly.

*slowly hides in corner*

Still though, I'm sticking with the M50s for public use. At home, probably the Senns HD600 or the AKG 702, 'cause no way I'm putting those on in public.

P.S. Sorry for offending any hardcore M50 anti-hypists out there :/

Apr 23, 2011 at 10:18 AM Post #11 of 37
I'm so ugly, headphones actually improve my appearance.

My HFI-780s aren't really too "loud" - black and silver is pretty accepted in public, and while they're decently big, they're not air traffic controller big.  I can't hear what people say about them, anyway, since I'm listening to music.

One thing I hate about wearing IEMs at work sometimes is that people won't see you have them in, and they're halfway through their conversation before you realise they're talking.

Apr 23, 2011 at 10:43 AM Post #13 of 37
I think the ATH earsuit range balances sound quality and aesthetics pretty well. I wouldn't feel too silly wearing the ES7, ESW9, ESW10 or ES10 outside.

I daren't wear the Edition 8 out and about due to their price, but they definitely blend SQ and good looks.
Personally I find the M50 too bulky for public use and the HD25 reminds of some sort of orthodontic headgear when not used in the vicinity of some decks.
gs1000.gif

However, they both make excellent ear-muffs in the winter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back