AEON, MrSpeakers' New Closed Back Planar Magnetic Headphone
Oct 17, 2018 at 6:21 PM Post #4,517 of 5,483
Yogi,

I saw that page but it does not show the HP-1 which is their Headphone cable . The insulation is dark grey as shown in the photo above. Greg <dhlabs@silversonic.com> . This is Greg's E-Mail if you'd like to contact him without calling. All different colors/sizes of cable sleeving here...

https://www.parts-express.com/Search.aspx?keyword=Techflex 1/4"%20Expandable%20Sleeving%2025%20ft.&sitesearch=true

Oct 17, 2018 at 6:23 PM Post #4,518 of 5,483
Yogi,

I saw that page but it does not show the HP-1 which is their Headphone cable . The insulation is dark grey as shown in the photo above. Greg <dhlabs@silversonic.com> . This is Greg's E-Mail if you'd like to contact him without calling. All different colors/sizes of cable sleeving here...

https://www.parts-express.com/Search.aspx?keyword=Techflex 1/4"%20Expandable%20Sleeving%2025%20ft.&sitesearch=true
Thanks, bud..will drop Greg a line!

Oct 25, 2018 at 8:54 AM Post #4,520 of 5,483
i am currently looking for a new portable music player that can drive the Closed Aeon Flow, which are not that easy to drive.

What minimum specs (output power) should I be looking for to get some decent bass and body out of the AFC?

Thank you!

Oct 29, 2018 at 5:37 PM Post #4,522 of 5,483
i am currently looking for a new portable music player that can drive the Closed Aeon Flow, which are not that easy to drive.

What minimum specs (output power) should I be looking for to get some decent bass and body out of the AFC?

Thank you!

I use a Fiio Q5 in balanced mode which is rated 470 mW at 16 ohms. It works well, but I wouldn’t say it’s overpowered at all. I can crank it to 100% and it’s not deafening. Generally, I’d say as a bare minimum you want an amp that can deliver at least 100 mA at 13 ohms. That translates into something like 130 mW at 13 Ohms (assuming I did the math correctly).

Oct 29, 2018 at 6:20 PM Post #4,523 of 5,483
Just got a topping dx7s today and using the afc via balanced and the sound is bliss. Was running a mojo and mass drop lcx before and that was decent but this takes it another level. Before, listening to soundtrack or orchestral music there would be distortion listening to more busier bits but this takes away 80-90of that away. Really impressed

Oct 29, 2018 at 11:28 PM Post #4,524 of 5,483
AS PERTAINS TO THE BEAUTIFUL ÆON FLOW CLOSED!....

But first..

Hi all, I need to create a signature so everyone can see my points of reference.

I just received my æon flow closed about a week ago plus... I’d love to share impressions and hear some thoughts.

I am a discerning listener, I listen to a lot of jazz, classical, edm (who knew I’d discover that \o/), classic rock, some pop, and then I’m surprised all the time just exploring all genres... I’d like to say for sure that I’m an audiophile on a budget.

My sources 99% of the time are iOS, iPad or iPhone , and my MacBook Pro. I love Tidal, I’m loving the nice but limited mqa offerings, especially since this works nicely with the Mac and the ifi bl.I also use Spotify and Apple Music. Of the three, my humble opinion is Tidal, Spotify, Apple Music, as relates to SQ. I like Spotify best for poking around though..

I have a few DACs and amps. Jotunheim, ifi Idsd micro bl (my fav DAC that I have, and love the amp, I love this ifi!), Oppo ha-2se, darkvoice 336 (at the moment KenRad Black vt231, and western electric 421a, they really are fun tubes!). I also have a little bear b4, and it never ceases to surprise me... that static prone little amp is actually really warm and sweet and musical and has great extension low and high. Just had to add that because it’s such a cheap little thing, yet so fun.

Neither an amp, dac, or hp, I have to mention the most excellent Schiit Loki 4 shelf eq! Clean, non destructive, tailoring of tones, love that little guy.

Headphones now include this AFC, dt1990, hd600, th-x00 mahogany, fidelio x2’s, fostex t50rp w shure pads, hd598, akg 7xx, vmoda m100, at 40x, Sony v6....maybe forgetting one.....

....so a good starting point! Fun flavors for sure, but not yet into the crazy money levels...

Now I just have to say, the ÆON flow closed headphones (Hello Dan, if I may) are the most expensive cans I have, but I try to not think in those terms. These headphones went on and it’s just plain comfy... then I first tried them with my iPhone/tidal/idsd micro bl/aeon , and ok, wow!... BRAND NEW experience! Amazing detail but smooth ALL through the range, almost any genre. Am I in new hp love affair mode? Sure, but wow, they bring the music detail so cleanly yet without distortion, or odd coloring in the mids or highs....everything seems (so far) to just seem soooo HONEST. So far.... I LOVE THESE, and currently, these are my jewels of my little humble collection. To know my tastes, I sort of equally love (in second place since the aeon) , my 600’s, the dt1990’s to me are amazing also, and I love the silky and bass rich sound of the th-x00 mahogany... in third, the t50rp’ and the x2... after that the vmoda is great for walking around and a great bass can, and the hd598 are truly (underrated), sweet for laid back time.

So please let’s chat about what others feel about them, especially if we share gear, etc...

Dan, good and talented sir, wow thanks
I am a jeweler and I still hand fabricate from sheet and wire and literally sculpt my work by hand here in Vermont.. all the stones in my work are all set by me personally as well.

I am so impressed by your work and I’m sure I’ll consider all your products going forward. So neat to get to hear from the actual maker of something amazing like your headphones.
My work is at barrettsalzmann.com if anyone wants to be bored. :)

So far I listen mostly with the ifi (dac)/loki/jot/aeon = epic

Ifi/aeon= epic. (Sometimes the little bear b4 tags along = sweet!)

Oppo/aeon = darn good! Not as good, but This combo still hits important powering aspects, and offers sabre dac cleanness, it’s just different...also sweet when little bear b4 joins..

When I have put any of my DACs in front of the “darkvoice 336 se” and attempted to use that class A amplifier, while understanding that it probably wasn’t going to pair well with my new ÆONS because of the extreme low impedance of this set of headphones and the architecture of the darkvoice, indeed they are not a match at all! Which will lead to my last question at the end!

So the “bass issue” people are concerned with. Ok, for me, these don’t replace my th-x00’s , no, but I have to clearly state that I feel the bass response and extension is nothing short of tight and strong, and...enough!... emphasis on the incredible extension, down way low they are super tight and there is plenty , and (this is a place some people don’t seem to like) they respond to a little push down low, whether from the xbass on the ifi, or the Schiit loki low shelf, they love the push WITHOUT getting flabby. So, I find myself dialing any extra in the sub bass to taste. I feel that although they don’t replace the fostex mahogany, I happily stay immersed in these amazing headphones even through the More bass heavy fun songs that I might happen to listen to, where my usual habit is pulling headphones off and pulling another on, etc.

...let’s face it, when it’s REALLY time to go to BASS land, jump in my car with me and let my affordable but tight sealed R type Alpine sub give you a legit back rub, or comb your hair!... in headphones, these Aeons are I’ll put it, the most accurate, but gentlest mid and low bass of my bass performers....I NEVER feel they lack, especially because they extend so low and remain tight and pleasing!

I really just honestly amazed and I guess I have also forgotten to mention that I feel the soundstage is remarkably open considering they are indeed very closed and I don’t seem to be bothering my wife at bedtime even cranked up, LOL. The detail is gorgeous and the representation and tonality of vocals and instruments, oh my goodness, a well recorded symphony or a smaller chamber group… Forget about the fact that you can hear everybody breathing very clearly, the impact and punch of the instruments is amazingly lifelike, again sort of unbelievable for a closed set of headphones, at least from my marginally trained years.

... so Dan and others if you please, my new lust, and I guess I’ve been wanting it for a long time now, is the woo audio WA8. I realize the impracticality of this thing but of course I don’t care. Because currently these aeons are my big time favorite and I guess please consider the other stuff I’ve got, especially Mr. Speaker himself, but anyone with experience pairing the AFC with the wa8, please please chime in and give your impressions. Of course there is no bass boost on the wa8 and I don’t always use the extra bass features of my gear, but of course I could use the ifi dac/xbass in front of the wa8.

Mr Speakers, have you ever tried anything like this that you can comment on since I think I have read you have tried both independently…? I just kind of dream that the wa8 might be pretty much an amazing match for most of my gear and especially just a really fun different buttery sound signature to enjoy. But most especially how it might pair with the aeon.

Sorry to be so long-winded but I’ve read so much great stuff on head-fi and I just want to come out swinging, LOL

Thanks
Barrett

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2018 at 11:30 PM Post #4,525 of 5,483
....Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I still have not tried out the balanced side of my Jotunheim with either the AFC, or my HD 600s… Please feel free to chime in, especially if someone thinks that using these balanced will be a fun and different experience

Barrett

Oct 30, 2018 at 1:12 AM Post #4,526 of 5,483
Ifi/aeon= epic.

Do you turn a "Turbo" mode on or you run in "Normal"?
AFC is my next purchase, hopefully till December. )

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2018 at 1:27 AM Post #4,527 of 5,483
....Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I still have not tried out the balanced side of my Jotunheim with either the AFC, or my HD 600s… Please feel free to chime in, especially if someone thinks that using these balanced will be a fun and different experience

Barrett

Great first couple of posts. The nicest headphones I owned before AFCs was the HiFiMan 400i. An excellent headphone no doubt, but not on par with the AFC. The AFC remains the most neutral phones I have, with amazing soundstage for closed phones. Dan definitely hit a home run with them.

Re whether going balanced with the Jot will make for meaningful improvement I have no idea. Someone with a Jot will shortly chime in I’m sure. I use mine mostly with a single ended Lyr 3 and it’s a great pairing. Dropping in a Sylvania “Bad Boy” gives the bass a nice solid punch.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2018 at 8:04 AM Post #4,528 of 5,483
Do you turn a "Turbo" mode on or you run in "Normal"?
AFC is my next purchase, hopefully till December. )

I usually use normal, I also play with turbo, but these don’t really require the exra necessarily. And switching to turbos does change the overall sound a little bit in my opinion. Not necessarily in a bad way but may be a little less spaciousness

Oct 30, 2018 at 8:08 AM Post #4,529 of 5,483
Great first couple of posts. The nicest headphones I owned before AFCs was the HiFiMan 400i. An excellent headphone no doubt, but not on par with the AFC. The AFC remains the most neutral phones I have, with amazing soundstage for closed phones. Dan definitely hit a home run with them.

Re whether going balanced with the Jot will make for meaningful improvement I have no idea. Someone with a Jot will shortly chime in I’m sure. I use mine mostly with a single ended Lyr 3 and it’s a great pairing. Dropping in a Sylvania “Bad Boy” gives the bass a nice solid punch.

Very cool! Ly 3 is on the short list!... although as you can see, the W8 is in my crosshairs for my first or I should say my next big kill, LOL
I have a couple of bad boys, and I have a black round plate VT 231 and a whole assortment of others that I play with while rolling around, I have to agree with you on those tall sylvanias

Oct 30, 2018 at 8:22 AM Post #4,530 of 5,483
I usually use normal, I also play with turbo, but these don’t really require the exra necessarily. And switching to turbos does change the overall sound a little bit in my opinion. Not necessarily in a bad way but may be a little less spaciousness
Thanks. Good to know, it will save the battery of the micro.
I tried them in turbo and I liked that... So I will have a chance to discover them again with less power )

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back