AEON, MrSpeakers' New Closed Back Planar Magnetic Headphone
Jul 21, 2018 at 6:45 PM Post #4,366 of 5,483
how would you say these are in terms of portability? Im used to using my pm3 for dogwalks (light activity obviously, no crazy stuff like running/jogging (hey I have seen people running with bose and skull candy))
I used these for traveling (airports, etc) and they're great. They have very good passive isolation. One thing I'd note is they don't sit around the neck well like the PM3, which folds flat.

Jul 22, 2018 at 6:00 AM Post #4,367 of 5,483
how would you say these are in terms of portability? Im used to using my pm3 for dogwalks (light activity obviously, no crazy stuff like running/jogging (hey I have seen people running with bose and skull candy))

Whilst not as big as some on the market they do qualify as 'full-sized' in my book. However they are remarkably light so would be eminently suited to use during 'light activity'.

Jul 23, 2018 at 11:38 PM Post #4,369 of 5,483
Hi everyone, curious to know is there's anyone who sold their EFC and bought an AFC. Would like to know more on your thoughts on this. Thank you.

Jul 24, 2018 at 2:21 PM Post #4,370 of 5,483
Hey Head-Fiers! We have a limited number of refurbished units for $620. Offer valid only until inventory sold.

These carry full warranty and have fresh ear pads. These were returns we've accumulated since launch but not resold.

https://www.mrspeakers.com/shop/headphones/b-stock.html

Last edited:
Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Jul 24, 2018 at 3:46 PM Post #4,371 of 5,483
Hey Head-Fiers! We have a limited number of refurbished units for $620. Offer valid only until inventory sold. These carry full warranty and have fresh ear pads. These were returns we've accumulated since launch but not resold.
Are the drivers in these matched as accurately as the new units? I assume some required driver replacement when refurbishing.

Jul 24, 2018 at 5:02 PM Post #4,372 of 5,483
100% of these were simply user returns, for whatever reason. We get about 1% of orders returned by people who just didn't click, lost a job, or whatever. Because there've been so few I was being a bit lazy and didn't add them to the store, but we finally had enough to do something with them... :)

So drivers are fully matched, there were no material defects to repair that I'm aware of, we used those for shows.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Jul 25, 2018 at 1:47 PM Post #4,373 of 5,483
I think Æon deserve good amplification... they are great in high gain, but an amp (I am using a FiiO A5 as a portable amp) brings them to a whole other level.
Totally agree, the combination of Ibasso DX200 + Amp8 (Analogue) has elevated the AFC to a new level, now I have bass!! They are almost a perfect combination

Jul 27, 2018 at 1:36 AM Post #4,375 of 5,483
So I picked up a pair of these when I was in NYC a couple months ago. I thoroughly enjoyed listening to them on my my Fiio Q1 Mark 2 and Schiit Magni 3.

Then I bought a Schiit Lyr 3.

Holy crap did it make a difference! These phones really scale well with gear. Best sound I’ve ever experienced. Kind of reminds me of the first time I ever listened to truly high quality iems. The previous high water mark was my HE400i. A fantastic headphone for the price, but it doesn’t scale like the Aeon.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2018 at 11:45 AM Post #4,376 of 5,483
So I picked up a pair of these when I was in NYC a couple months ago. I thoroughly enjoyed listening to them on my my Fiio Q1 Mark 2 and Schiit Magni 3.

Then I bought a Schiit Lyr 3.

Holy crap did it make a difference! These phones really scale well with gear. Best sound I’ve ever experienced. Kind of reminds me of the first time I ever listened to truly high quality iems. The previous high water mark was my HE400i. A fantastic headphone for the price, but it doesn’t scale like the Aeon.

Yes, all our headphones scale pretty well. My voicing process includes cheap and TOTL summit gear for this reason.

Jul 28, 2018 at 3:16 AM Post #4,377 of 5,483
I'm looking for a nice "end-game" all-around single headphone to replace my LCD-2C under the $1000 and I realize that I need something closed as I enjoy the sound more in that way because the major isolation and my family around.

What I read about the AFC (and liked very much) is that naturalness yet maintaining a nice planar bass response, with a a very compelling highs not being such overwhelming.

I personally don't like how the LCD-2C sounds at moderate-low volume levels, do you think the AFC is a good choice for that? Anyone with both or at least that have tried the LCD-2C to compare?

Thanks in advance guys!

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2018 at 4:42 AM Post #4,378 of 5,483
I'm looking for a nice "end-game" all-around single headphone to replace my LCD-2C under the $1000 and I realize that I need something closed as I enjoy the sound more in that way because the major isolation and my family around.

What I read about the AFC (and liked very much) is that naturalness yet maintaining a nice planar bass response, with a a very compelling highs not being such overwhelming.

I personally don't like how the LCD-2C sounds at moderate-low volume levels, do you think the AFC is a good choice for that? Anyone with both or at least that have tried the LCD-2C to compare?

Thanks in advance guys!
Dan voiced the AFC to be used at 75db (part of his health focus in design) and with the isolation the headphone already provides I’ve found it to sound good at low/moderate volumes.

Compared to the 2C, I prefer the AFC by far. The 2C sounds too laid back and congested.

Jul 30, 2018 at 2:41 PM Post #4,380 of 5,483

Users who are viewing this thread

Back