AEON, MrSpeakers' New Closed Back Planar Magnetic Headphone
Jul 13, 2018 at 12:26 AM Post #4,352 of 5,483
Jul 13, 2018 at 4:05 PM Post #4,354 of 5,483
My all time favolite closed MrSpeakers was Alpha Primes. I can see some for cheap around. But I am considering Aeon Closed. Can anyone offeer some advices? I prefer the bass slam and speed and the subbass i.e. Flea's precise basslines from RHCP. Hope it makes sense. Thanks.

I found the two are largely similar, technically. The prime has very slightly more sub-bass presence and bass impact. The Closed Aeon has a better behaved treble and sounds cleaner; AFC is the only hp I've heard that is more detailed sounding than the prime. Aeon has better comfort, is easier to power and has insane isolation (best isolating closed hp I've tried).

To choose one is a tough call because the two hps are so similar soundwise. The Prime is fun, AFC is refined and arguably more of a reference sound. I prefer the primes, fwiw.

Jul 13, 2018 at 4:20 PM Post #4,355 of 5,483
I found the two are largely similar, technically. The prime has very slightly more sub-bass presence and bass impact. The Closed Aeon has a better behaved treble and sounds cleaner; AFC is the only hp I've heard that is more detailed sounding than the prime. Aeon has better comfort, is easier to power and has insane isolation (best isolating closed hp I've tried).

To choose one is a tough call because the two hps are so similar soundwise. The Prime is fun, AFC is refined and arguably more of a reference sound. I prefer the primes, fwiw.
A tad bit about the subbass as in the bass lines (not necessarily the kick slam) would really help. I really enjoy the bass in the back of RHCP, Porcupine Tree et al Thanks.

Jul 14, 2018 at 5:43 AM Post #4,357 of 5,483
Any idea on the instrument separation end? I would prefer even better separation than my good ol HD 600 where I can hear every little thing from distinctively.

Unfortunately, I only had the AFC for a few days and spent many hours A-Bing it to the Prime last year, but in that time I was able firmly grasp the sound and capabilities of the AFC.

From memory, separation on the AFC was superb, it was one of the highlights of its sound quality. I used to own an HD600, but its been a while, so cannot comment on how it compares directly. I will say that my old MrSpeakers Mad Dog Pro beat the HD600 easily in instrument separation.

Jul 20, 2018 at 2:58 AM Post #4,359 of 5,483
has anyone tried these on LG quad dac g6 v20/30 or iBasso dx90 (gain mode) ? Im debating or not whether my I should change my Oppo pm-3 to these?
I replaced my PM-3 with these and they work everywhere it did for me. I haven't tried those specific sources though.

Jul 20, 2018 at 10:03 AM Post #4,360 of 5,483
I replaced my PM-3 with these and they work everywhere it did for me. I haven't tried those specific sources though.

lol It's hard to keep a PM3 around when you have an AFC, isn't it? I couldn't think of one thing my PM3 did better than the AFC and sold it after a few weeks of owning both.

Jul 20, 2018 at 10:46 AM Post #4,361 of 5,483
lol It's hard to keep a PM3 around when you have an AFC, isn't it? I couldn't think of one thing my PM3 did better than the AFC and sold it after a few weeks of owning both.
Indeed. I held onto mine out of nostalgia for many months. Finally sold it to a buddy of mine who was getting into nice headphones for the first time. It was good sending it to a good home. :-D

Jul 20, 2018 at 12:38 PM Post #4,364 of 5,483
What were your sources? any mobile?
For portable, I primarily use it with my Mojo these days. But I have used my phone (Nexus 5x), A&K players (AK320 and SP1000), a JDS Labs C5 portable amp, and direct from my terrible Mixamp Wireless. It doesn't sound BAD with any of them but it scales well with better gear.

Jul 21, 2018 at 5:38 PM Post #4,365 of 5,483
For portable, I primarily use it with my Mojo these days. But I have used my phone (Nexus 5x), A&K players (AK320 and SP1000), a JDS Labs C5 portable amp, and direct from my terrible Mixamp Wireless. It doesn't sound BAD with any of them but it scales well with better gear.

how would you say these are in terms of portability? Im used to using my pm3 for dogwalks (light activity obviously, no crazy stuff like running/jogging (hey I have seen people running with bose and skull candy))

Users who are viewing this thread

Back