AEON, MrSpeakers' New Closed Back Planar Magnetic Headphone
Feb 7, 2018 at 7:02 AM Post #3,961 of 5,483
"I'd say the WyWires dig deeper into the space between notes; micro details just pop better but it does it without that "more real than real" hi-fi sound I don't like. Crash cymbals are more articulate, and snares, and on good recordings and with high end gear this is pretty clear to hear. Directly related to that, there's more space between the sound sources, which have crisper boundaries and placement in the soundfield. I really like the WyWires for this, I do a lot of voicing with percussion and the WyWires gives a little more resolution without ever getting bright or splashy."

With this cable and your statement more specifics required. Are these cable characteristics you describe more specific when listening to your tube-based system? Many variables involved in playback chain and generalized observations are not of much use imo. Appreciate admittance that builders "craft" plays role in your liking of a product. Am skeptical of many claims and motivations within audio business based on much personal experiences as well as acquaintances with inside knowledge/experiences in audio engineering backgrounds. Critical thinking skills are in short supply in general, though very useful for consumers of audio components. Saying again as caveat to somewhat ameliorate those questioning that I may not appreciate (your) candidness and reputation within headphone community - I do. Looking forward to checking out your future headphone releases.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2018 at 12:44 PM Post #3,962 of 5,483
I can with confidence that Kimber is not a company gouging or abusing its customers with unfair pricing. I’ve known Ray Kimber since 1977 and never has he been anything other than fair based on his BOM.

No doubt your testimonial keeps you in the good graces of Kimber. I have no reason to doubt your sincerity, but stick by my previous comments until I have evidence that I am mistaken.

Feb 7, 2018 at 1:13 PM Post #3,963 of 5,483
No doubt your testimonial keeps you in the good graces of Kimber. I have no reason to doubt your sincerity, but stick by my previous comments until I have evidence that I am mistaken.

I have no need for a manufacturer to keep me in their good graces. Ray earned my respect many years ago and has does nothing to sway my trust in his craftsmanship. If he respects me, that’s great! If he doesn’t that’s life.

But do let me know when you’re ready and I’ll be happy to show you how these calculations are made so that you can further your insight into how to determine if a company is pricing fairly.

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Feb 8, 2018 at 5:36 PM Post #3,964 of 5,483
With this cable and your statement more specifics required. Are these cable characteristics you describe more specific when listening to your tube-based system? Many variables involved in playback chain and generalized observations are not of much use imo. Appreciate admittance that builders "craft" plays role in your liking of a product. Am skeptical of many claims and motivations within audio business based on much personal experiences as well as acquaintances with inside knowledge/experiences in audio engineering backgrounds. Critical thinking skills are in short supply in general, though very useful for consumers of audio components. Saying again as caveat to somewhat ameliorate those questioning that I may not appreciate (your) candidness and reputation within headphone community - I do. Looking forward to checking out your future headphone releases.

These characteristics apply to both SS and tube. On my desk at work I have a Gilmore Lite mk2, Cayin HA6 and Ragnarok SS, and a Massdrop CTH, Liquid Glass, MicroZOTL 2, and a powerful ZOTL prototype, at home a Hugo 2, Jotenheim, Liquid Crimson, Mojo, QP2R, and WA5. More resolution in the micro-details is a consistent experience. I'm using really good DACs, if you have a weak or bright DAC you may not actually want that extra resolution, just to put an important caveat. I find some Sabre DACs to be problematic in the upper mids and lower highs, and wouldn't pair with a system with that kind of front end, a softer cable might be more pleasant for extended listening.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Feb 8, 2018 at 5:59 PM Post #3,965 of 5,483
So I spent a bit of time and did direct comparisons to the DUM cable. The first thing I'd tell you is don't expect a cable to change the nature of a headphone, the only cables I've heard that can affect tone have been pure silver, which sometimes makes the mids sound too lean to me. Not all silver does this, for example I have the Kimber silver and the Effect silver/copper and they don't do this, just very, very transparent sounding. So I think caveat emptor on silver cables.

I'd say the WyWires dig deeper into the space between notes; micro details just pop better but it does it without that "more real than real" hi-fi sound I don't like. Crash cymbals are more articulate, and snares, and on good recordings and with high end gear this is pretty clear to hear. Directly related to that, there's more space between the sound sources, which have crisper boundaries and placement in the soundfield. I really like the WyWires for this, I do a lot of voicing with percussion and the WyWires gives a little more resolution without ever getting bright or splashy.

The WyWires is also a very light cable, which reduces the total loaded weight of the headphone a bit.

Regarding tubes, I haven't had a Lyr 2 on my desk in a while, the Rag and Mjolnir kind of pushed it aside. The last tubes I recall really enjoying were some Tungsol 6922.
Thank you Dan for your thoughts. I don't hide that a little lean mids would maybe please to me, so maybe I would try a silver cable.
Thank you

Feb 11, 2018 at 9:13 AM Post #3,966 of 5,483
I'm using the Aeon on-the-go, and I find the stock MrSpeakers cable to be far too bulky and long for this purpose. Anyone one know who'd sell a 0.5 m XLR to 3.5mm cable for the AEON in Europe or any cable maker that ships to Europe?

Feb 11, 2018 at 9:46 AM Post #3,967 of 5,483
I'm using the Aeon on-the-go, and I find the stock MrSpeakers cable to be far too bulky and long for this purpose. Anyone one know who'd sell a 0.5 m XLR to 3.5mm cable for the AEON in Europe or any cable maker that ships to Europe?

Toxic Cables is in the UK, and they are very well-regarded. They should be able to terminate a cable with a MrSpeakers connector, you'll just have to ask.

Feb 11, 2018 at 1:35 PM Post #3,968 of 5,483
I am considering these to pair with my DX200 . My only concern is they could be too large for a portable HP.
Anyone use these mainly for portable use ?
My portable closed right now is the momentum

Feb 11, 2018 at 11:47 PM Post #3,969 of 5,483
I am considering these to pair with my DX200 . My only concern is they could be too large for a portable HP.
Anyone use these mainly for portable use ?
My portable closed right now is the momentum
hi womaz

i use aeon mainly on transportation and office, aeon is a big headphones but it is not heavy or inconvenient at all. the comfort is first class with decent sound isolation.
if you are using DX200 i would recommended AMP5 to go with AEON. AEON sound much more neutral in comparison to HEK but with same level of details and sound stage.
hope this helps

Feb 12, 2018 at 4:28 AM Post #3,970 of 5,483
hi womaz

i use aeon mainly on transportation and office, aeon is a big headphones but it is not heavy or inconvenient at all. the comfort is first class with decent sound isolation.
if you are using DX200 i would recommended AMP5 to go with AEON. AEON sound much more neutral in comparison to HEK but with same level of details and sound stage.
hope this helps

Thanks for the reply and yes it does help. I am sure I will love the sound I am just a tad concerned that they will not be that portable and that I will buy them and just use my in ears as they are so much easier to carry. The weight does not bother me as they are supposedly quite light, its the wearing of them around my neck say and they dont fold either.
I doubt I will buy any further amps for the 200 as I more than happy with Amp 1. Thank you for the post.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2018 at 4:54 AM Post #3,971 of 5,483
Thanks for the reply and yes it does help. I am sure I will love the sound I am just a tad concerned that they will not be that portable and that I will buy them and just use my in ears as they are so much easier to carry. The weight does not bother me as they are supposedly quite light, its the wearing of them around my neck say and they dont fold either.
I doubt I will buy any further amps for the 200 as I more than happy with Amp 1. Thank you for the post.

i would like to give some more of my personal thoughts regarding your concerns
if it is the carrying of aeon that you are worried about, i would say i am fine with aeon when it is setting on my neck(little bulky but it dose not impair the rotation of the neck badly), and sometimes i just put them on to keep my ear warm during the cold days. to my memory UK is freaking cold most of the times:)
regarding DX200, AMP5 is well know for its output power and enhanced dynamics, aeon as portable as it might be, it is still a planner headphones and dose require decent output power to drive it well. i have tried DX200 with amp5 installed in the local store, it drive aeon pretty well.
there is another headphone you could give some thought, the nightowl from audioquest. it is even more comfortable to wear than aeon and 100 pounds cheaper. the sound signature however is very different to aeon. but in terms of performance wise they are on the same level.

Feb 12, 2018 at 6:28 AM Post #3,972 of 5,483
i would like to give some more of my personal thoughts regarding your concerns
if it is the carrying of aeon that you are worried about, i would say i am fine with aeon when it is setting on my neck(little bulky but it dose not impair the rotation of the neck badly), and sometimes i just put them on to keep my ear warm during the cold days. to my memory UK is freaking cold most of the times:)
regarding DX200, AMP5 is well know for its output power and enhanced dynamics, aeon as portable as it might be, it is still a planner headphones and dose require decent output power to drive it well. i have tried DX200 with amp5 installed in the local store, it drive aeon pretty well.
there is another headphone you could give some thought, the nightowl from audioquest. it is even more comfortable to wear than aeon and 100 pounds cheaper. the sound signature however is very different to aeon. but in terms of performance wise they are on the same level.

Once again thanks for the reply. I have the momentums for portable use at present and I hate the feel of them on my neck when not listening to the music and i dont want to be taking them on and off. They now just dont get used, so will be up for sale soon. I am also not that keen on the sound. I love my HEKs and this has definitely spoilt me. I know I wont be able to replicate that in a portable HP but I will try and improve on the Momentums.
Thanks for the Nighthawk suggestion, but I really done like the look of them so for me a non starter.
The DX200 drives my HEKs sufficiently for me to enjoy them so I think it will drive the Aeons if I go for them. Infact the DX200 and my HEK pairing is so much better than I expected, it has been a pleasant surprise, as I did not expect this.
My HEK s were always just used with my main set up, now I use them a lot with the DX200 if I cant be bothered to use my home rig.
I am still pondering and thanks for your input

Feb 12, 2018 at 8:02 AM Post #3,973 of 5,483
I owned for a short time the Momentum 2, then I had Audeze SIne and now I have Aeon closed: Aeon are much more comfortable then Momentum when you put them on your neck, due to the long form factor. The best confort about resting on neck is given without a doubt by Audeze Sine (but without a doubt they din not sound good as Aeon, but sure way better than Momentum), due to the rotating cups.

Feb 12, 2018 at 8:12 AM Post #3,974 of 5,483
I owned for a short time the Momentum 2, then I had Audeze SIne and now I have Aeon closed: Aeon are much more comfortable then Momentum when you put them on your neck, due to the long form factor. The best confort about resting on neck is given without a doubt by Audeze Sine (but without a doubt they din not sound good as Aeon, but sure way better than Momentum), due to the rotating cups.

Very helpful thank you. The momentum’s almost choke me

Feb 12, 2018 at 9:56 AM Post #3,975 of 5,483
These characteristics apply to both SS and tube. On my desk at work I have a Gilmore Lite mk2, Cayin HA6 and Ragnarok SS, and a Massdrop CTH, Liquid Glass, MicroZOTL 2, and a powerful ZOTL prototype, at home a Hugo 2, Jotenheim, Liquid Crimson, Mojo, QP2R, and WA5. More resolution in the micro-details is a consistent experience. I'm using really good DACs, if you have a weak or bright DAC you may not actually want that extra resolution, just to put an important caveat. I find some Sabre DACs to be problematic in the upper mids and lower highs, and wouldn't pair with a system with that kind of front end, a softer cable might be more pleasant for extended listening.

Impossible not to appreciate your refreshing straightforwardness to answers with not so much as a hint of acrimony to be found anywhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back