AEON, MrSpeakers' New Closed Back Planar Magnetic Headphone
Feb 12, 2018 at 2:27 PM Post #3,977 of 5,483
Another solution is to punch new holes in the leather strap about 1cm towards the center from the current holes... You can punch it with a nail. Just unscrew the sliders, punch, and re-install.
I did this yesterday (using a leather punch rather than a nail - couldn't bring myself to modify such a carefully-made product with a nail). The strap looks a bit odd now with little tabs of leather extending beyond the clamps that hold the strap to the frame, but ... problem solved! Thanks for the suggestion.

Feb 13, 2018 at 9:17 AM Post #3,978 of 5,483
Thanks to the guys who helped me on this thread. I have took the plunge and decided to get the Aeon to see how I like them for portable use.
I am not expecting them to become my fave HP as the HEK will always hold that I reckon :L3000: but I am hoping they are a big step up from my Momentums which I will now sell

Feb 13, 2018 at 12:06 PM Post #3,980 of 5,483
They will be a "night and day" step forward..

Yes I believe they will. I just hope I use them for portable use and dont find them too bulky around my neck.......its almost like they are too nice to take out if that makes sense :L3000:

Feb 13, 2018 at 12:09 PM Post #3,981 of 5,483
Thanks to the guys who helped me on this thread. I have took the plunge and decided to get the Aeon to see how I like them for portable use.
I am not expecting them to become my fave HP as the HEK will always hold that I reckon :L3000: but I am hoping they are a big step up from my Momentums which I will now sell
I believe they are big step forward... Build quality alone is a big jump. You got your self a rock solid headphone friend.

Feb 14, 2018 at 11:51 AM Post #3,982 of 5,483
I was probably one of the first customers purchasing the mad dogs in Dan Clarks diy-days. I like the mad dogs sonically but they were a tad too dark and looked and felt more like a cheap toy.

Fast forward some years and here I am sitting with tons of highend experienxe and greatly enjoying the aeon fc. Still addicted to the hobby and still buying and selling stuff because of pure curiousness. I feel like the Aeon just tells me to stop this madness and focus on the important things. Well headphones have been my passion for years why should I stop all of the sudden? Because the Aeons are just that good with their perfectly balanced tuning.
Especially the treble performance is simply world class.
Everyone who liks the PP8, UERM / RR should take a closer look

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2018 at 3:23 PM Post #3,984 of 5,483
So I just get a pair. Really stupid question: which side of the cable is left and which is right? Or does it not matter since they’re balanced?

One of the cable connectors has a red band at the top end where it connects to the headphones. That's the right side.

Feb 17, 2018 at 5:31 PM Post #3,985 of 5,483
One of the cable connectors has a red band at the top end where it connects to the headphones. That's the right side.
Thanks.

I finally got my system sorted - a Peachtree Nova65 and a Raspberry Pi running a custom build specifically for Roon. I listened to a few tracks and the cans are remarkable even without having been burned in. Listening to Kendrick Lamar “Loyalty” hits bass that is so low it feels wrong. The articulation on acoustic tracks like Sufjan Stevens’ Carrie and Lowell is precise.

And they are oh so comfortable. I think I have my end game setup (for a while). Awesome.

Feb 17, 2018 at 10:03 PM Post #3,986 of 5,483
Thanks.

I finally got my system sorted - a Peachtree Nova65 and a Raspberry Pi running a custom build specifically for Roon.
I don’t have a Nova, but with my Soekris dac1541, a very nice, competitive with much more expensive better-known DACs, I got somewhat cleaner highs and transients when I added a Pi 2 Designs 502DAC hat to the Pi and used it to supply S/PDIF coax to the dac1541. Pi USB ports have a lot of electrical noise that can contaminate the downstream analog path. Not a huge difference, but I thought I’d mention it. I love my Æons powered by this setup!

Feb 17, 2018 at 10:12 PM Post #3,987 of 5,483
I don’t have a Nova, but with my Soekris dac1541, a very nice, competitive with much more expensive better-known DACs, I got somewhat cleaner highs and transients when I added a Pi 2 Designs 502DAC hat to the Pi and used it to supply S/PDIF coax to the dac1541. Pi USB ports have a lot of electrical noise that can contaminate the downstream analog path. Not a huge difference, but I thought I’d mention it. I love my Æons powered by this setup!

I’m using the Hifiberry DAC+ hat with the Pi. It’s still USB out though. Should I try the RCA jacks instead? Or I could try that hat provided it works with my Roon-specific build (RoPieee).

Feb 18, 2018 at 12:08 AM Post #3,988 of 5,483
I’m using the Hifiberry DAC+ hat with the Pi. It’s still USB out though. Should I try the RCA jacks instead? Or I could try that hat provided it works with my Roon-specific build (RoPieee).
Don't know how the Hifiberry DAC+ compares with alternatives, I was just comparing Pi vs Pi + 502DAC, which I own. It also depends a lot on your DAC. If you check my sig, I own 3 DACs that have different responses to different input types. Soekris dac1541 is the least sensitive to different inputs. There is a difference between S/PDIF coax and USB, but it's not huge. I could live with the Pi alone, but 502DAC is low cost (compared with DAC/amp and headphones) so it was a no-brainer to get it. Holo Spring's USB is noticeably worse than S/PDIF, but I2S is quite a bit better than either. For Yggrdasil (original version, Gen 3 USB), USB is noticeably worse than S/PDIF but the best is AES/EBU. That Yggrdasil hates low-end USB sources. Current Yggrasils, with Gen 5 USB, should be much less sensitive to mediocre USB (I've not tested this directly but others have, and I've heard the benefits of Schiit's Gen 5 USB on a Bifrost Multibit that I used to own). All in all, I'm really impressed how the Soekris handles a range of sources of varying qualities, but in the end, give it an improved source and you get improved results.

Feb 19, 2018 at 11:18 PM Post #3,989 of 5,483
Don't know how the Hifiberry DAC+ compares with alternatives, I was just comparing Pi vs Pi + 502DAC, which I own. It also depends a lot on your DAC. If you check my sig, I own 3 DACs that have different responses to different input types. Soekris dac1541 is the least sensitive to different inputs. There is a difference between S/PDIF coax and USB, but it's not huge. I could live with the Pi alone, but 502DAC is low cost (compared with DAC/amp and headphones) so it was a no-brainer to get it. Holo Spring's USB is noticeably worse than S/PDIF, but I2S is quite a bit better than either. For Yggrdasil (original version, Gen 3 USB), USB is noticeably worse than S/PDIF but the best is AES/EBU. That Yggrdasil hates low-end USB sources. Current Yggrasils, with Gen 5 USB, should be much less sensitive to mediocre USB (I've not tested this directly but others have, and I've heard the benefits of Schiit's Gen 5 USB on a Bifrost Multibit that I used to own). All in all, I'm really impressed how the Soekris handles a range of sources of varying qualities, but in the end, give it an improved source and you get improved results.
I did a little more research and I’m going to go with the Hifiberry Digi+ to get that coax going.

Even now, through the RCA jacks, I literally had to stop myself from applauding the end of [untitled] on Neutral Milk Hotel’s In the Aeroplane over the Sea. I was so engrossed that for a moment I forgot that I wasn’t at a private show.

(And, no, I wasn’t listening to the YouTube version. FLAC from tidal.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back