AEON, MrSpeakers' New Closed Back Planar Magnetic Headphone
Feb 2, 2018 at 5:34 PM Post #3,946 of 5,483
I see! That's fair enough, then, thanks for the advice :)
I did have a look at the WA8 but that's too expensive for me at the moment! Looks beautiful, though! Would love to find something that would match better with my Aeons! :) You and your team did a great job with these cans!

The Lyr2 is a classic, drop some good 6922 or 6DJ8 tubes in and you're good to go with gobs of power. Our distributor Electromod has those in the UK... On the solid state front the iFi iDSD is a great all-in-one solution. If you want tubes, what's your budget?

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Feb 2, 2018 at 6:26 PM Post #3,947 of 5,483
The Lyr2 is a classic, drop some good 6922 or 6DJ8 tubes in and you're good to go with gobs of power. Our distributor Electromod has those in the UK... On the solid state front the iFi iDSD is a great all-in-one solution. If you want tubes, what's your budget?

That looks like a nice amp! More in my price range, to be honest. Would not want to spend much more than that. I have looked previously at the iFi iDSD, too, but for the time being I'm more than happy using my Mojo! :) The Lyr 2 would be a nice addition, as it's a Hybrid amp, seemingly, so should pair better with planar's, correct (that's what the internet seems to tell me :))? The Dark Voice pairs wonderfully with my HD650s, so would definitely stay with me! :)

Feb 2, 2018 at 7:22 PM Post #3,948 of 5,483
If you're not wedded to tubes you might want to check out the Gilmore Lite Mk2, same price and a great value, very high end sound, almost tubelike in presentation. I liked it so much we're carrying it now.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Feb 3, 2018 at 8:10 AM Post #3,949 of 5,483
Hi Dan, I recently bought a pair of Aeon Closed from Italian official reseller.
I'm very happy with them, paired with a Chord Mojo and a Schiit Lyr 2.
Do you have any suggestion about some tube that moves a bit to the background the mids, and emphasize a bit bass and highs?.
This is the only thing I'm not completely satisfied (relative to my taste, of course).
Do you think that with the right cable I could achieve a similar result?
Thank you

Feb 3, 2018 at 10:29 PM Post #3,951 of 5,483
Do you have any suggestion about some tube that moves a bit to the background the mids, and emphasize a bit bass and highs?.

I'm not Dan, but I have experience with components in your system. You could start with some Gold Lions--to my ears, they're better than the stock tubes across the board. An inexpensive place to start. The warmest/thickest tubes I've tried are Brimar/Ediswan ECC88's, followed by some Mullard CV2493--either of these might get you closer to the sound you're after for bass but may not affect the mids as much as you'd like. They're relatively inexpensive and may have other sonic aspects that work for you.

Feb 4, 2018 at 5:32 AM Post #3,952 of 5,483
I own the AEON closed and WA8. In a word: magical match. (ok ok, that was 2 words...)
When I use the WA8 - I use it as DAC and Amp. Not amp only. Multiple reviewers commented on built-in DAC and Amp being such a great match, and most any other external DAC (including Hugo or Hugo2 - cannot remember which) did not sound as good. I personally never tried external DAC since the built-in one works so well...

Would you say the WA8 would be complimentary to the Hugo 2 for the AEON closed or open? In other words, is the sound difference enough to justify to owning both the WA8 and the Hugo 2?

I did enjoy this review which compared the WA8 and the original Hugo. The author stated they could be a complimentary match, but would like to hear from others who have heard both?

https://www.headfonia.com/review-woo-audio-wa8-eclipse-new-transportable-king/2/

BTW, I do own both AFC, AFO & Hugo 2 for reference.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2018 at 10:04 AM Post #3,953 of 5,483
I'm not Dan, but I have experience with components in your system. You could start with some Gold Lions--to my ears, they're better than the stock tubes across the board. An inexpensive place to start. The warmest/thickest tubes I've tried are Brimar/Ediswan ECC88's, followed by some Mullard CV2493--either of these might get you closer to the sound you're after for bass but may not affect the mids as much as you'd like. They're relatively inexpensive and may have other sonic aspects that work for you.
Thank you for your suggestions. I never heard the original Lyr 2 tubes, because I bought it second hand, and it came without original tubes. With my previous headphones (Audeze Sine) i really liked '75's Voskhod tubes, but now, with Aeon, they sound too mids focused to me, and at the moment I prefer a couple of RCA.
I will search the tubes you suggest me, thank you.

Feb 4, 2018 at 12:49 PM Post #3,954 of 5,483
Would you say the WA8 would be complimentary to the Hugo 2 for the AEON closed or open? In other words, is the sound difference enough to justify to owning both the WA8 and the Hugo 2?

I did enjoy this review which compared the WA8 and the original Hugo. The author stated they could be a complimentary match, but would like to hear from others who have heard both?

https://www.headfonia.com/review-woo-audio-wa8-eclipse-new-transportable-king/2/

BTW, I do own both AFC, AFO & Hugo 2 for reference.
I am not the right person to answer since I auditioned the Hugo2 very briefly. But that won't stop me to add my notes: :wink:
From memory, at CanJam, and all the other caveats... I think they sound very differently (Hugo as DAC&Amp, WA8 as DAC&Amp). I love WA8's warmth and smoothness.
Hugo2 is more resolving but less "musical" or "fun". Also, I listen mostly to rock (classic rock, alternative, hard rock, pop rock). I am guessing that people who listen mostly to classical / orchestra music - might prefer the Hugo.

Again, my notes are from memory... I hope someone who owns both or auditioned both for a long time can respond here, too.

Feb 4, 2018 at 10:25 PM Post #3,955 of 5,483
Thank you for your suggestions. I never heard the original Lyr 2 tubes, because I bought it second hand, and it came without original tubes. With my previous headphones (Audeze Sine) i really liked '75's Voskhod tubes, but now, with Aeon, they sound too mids focused to me, and at the moment I prefer a couple of RCA.
I will search the tubes you suggest me, thank you.

You're more than welcome. Others will suggest different favorite tubes to get the sound you're after. If you've got some time on your hands, check out the Lyr Tube Rolling Thread--this is where I got turned on to the Gold Lions, and probably 3-4 other great suggestions that I regularly roll in when my mood changes: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/schiit-lyr-tube-rollers.673709/

As the mantra goes, "sorry about your wallet"...

Feb 5, 2018 at 2:23 PM Post #3,956 of 5,483
I didn't have time to play around with cables this weekend, we had an event at a dealer Saturday and I took yesterday off (gasp).

Feb 6, 2018 at 7:27 PM Post #3,957 of 5,483
No promise, but try Rosing the pressure on the headband, many people snug the headphone up too much which increases clamp. It's designed to barely rest on your head when tensioned correctly.

Thanks much for the suggestion.

I tried this and while raising the headband definitely the jaw muscle-squishing, it results in the headband sitting about 15mm above the top of my head. Apparently my ears are closer to the top of my head than the headphones are designed for, and my lack of hair doesn't help. I'm going to get a nice thick piece of foam, cut it to the right shape and attach it to the headband. The band design on these headphones is really simple and elegant, but only works well if your head width to ear height ratio matches the design spec.

Feb 6, 2018 at 9:16 PM Post #3,958 of 5,483
Thanks much for the suggestion.

I tried this and while raising the headband definitely the jaw muscle-squishing, it results in the headband sitting about 15mm above the top of my head. Apparently my ears are closer to the top of my head than the headphones are designed for, and my lack of hair doesn't help. I'm going to get a nice thick piece of foam, cut it to the right shape and attach it to the headband. The band design on these headphones is really simple and elegant, but only works well if your head width to ear height ratio matches the design spec.

Another solution is to punch new holes in the leather strap about 1cm towards the center from the current holes... You can punch it with a nail. Just unscrew the sliders, punch, and re-install.

Feb 6, 2018 at 9:32 PM Post #3,959 of 5,483
Hi Dan, I recently bought a pair of Aeon Closed from Italian official reseller.
I'm very happy with them, paired with a Chord Mojo and a Schiit Lyr 2.
This is the only thing I'm not completely satisfied (relative to my taste, of course).
Do you think that with the right cable I could achieve a similar result?
Thank you

So I spent a bit of time and did direct comparisons to the DUM cable. The first thing I'd tell you is don't expect a cable to change the nature of a headphone, the only cables I've heard that can affect tone have been pure silver, which sometimes makes the mids sound too lean to me. Not all silver does this, for example I have the Kimber silver and the Effect silver/copper and they don't do this, just very, very transparent sounding. So I think caveat emptor on silver cables.

I'd say the WyWires dig deeper into the space between notes; micro details just pop better but it does it without that "more real than real" hi-fi sound I don't like. Crash cymbals are more articulate, and snares, and on good recordings and with high end gear this is pretty clear to hear. Directly related to that, there's more space between the sound sources, which have crisper boundaries and placement in the soundfield. I really like the WyWires for this, I do a lot of voicing with percussion and the WyWires gives a little more resolution without ever getting bright or splashy.

The WyWires is also a very light cable, which reduces the total loaded weight of the headphone a bit.

Regarding tubes, I haven't had a Lyr 2 on my desk in a while, the Rag and Mjolnir kind of pushed it aside. The last tubes I recall really enjoying were some Tungsol 6922.

Feb 7, 2018 at 12:25 AM Post #3,960 of 5,483
So I spent a bit of time and did direct comparisons to the DUM cable. The first thing I'd tell you is don't expect a cable to change the nature of a headphone, the only cables I've heard that can affect tone have been pure silver, which sometimes makes the mids sound too lean to me. Not all silver does this, for example I have the Kimber silver and the Effect silver/copper and they don't do this, just very, very transparent sounding. So I think caveat emptor on silver cables.

I'd say the WyWires dig deeper into the space between notes; micro details just pop better but it does it without that "more real than real" hi-fi sound I don't like. Crash cymbals are more articulate, and snares, and on good recordings and with high end gear this is pretty clear to hear. Directly related to that, there's more space between the sound sources, which have crisper boundaries and placement in the soundfield. I really like the WyWires for this, I do a lot of voicing with percussion and the WyWires gives a little more resolution without ever getting bright or splashy.

The WyWires is also a very light cable, which reduces the total loaded weight of the headphone a bit.

Regarding tubes, I haven't had a Lyr 2 on my desk in a while, the Rag and Mjolnir kind of pushed it aside. The last tubes I recall really enjoying were some Tungsol 6922.

thank you Dan

i already informed some aeon owner in my country about your comparison result

we are seriously considering to upgrade the cables to WYWIRES.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back