AEON, MrSpeakers' New Closed Back Planar Magnetic Headphone
Dec 5, 2017 at 9:05 PM Post #3,661 of 5,483
I do feel the Aeon is the best closed can I have heard. If you want closed and want to step up from the EL8 I would say the Aeon is the way to go. Especially if bass heavy music is not your forte.

Yes, first amp I tried when I picked up the Aeon's, for me it's not a great match. I'm far from an expert but I believe the output impedance is on the high side for them, they seem to perform better with a lower impedance 1ohm or less, they sound great with my ifi iCan SE which is less than 1ohm.

I guess I was a bit to vague? This is what I was trying to say. :)

Bass heavy like rap music not like EDM bass which is slightly different thump.

I have the Audeze Deckard, really didn't want to change it out but should I if moving to the Aeon Flow Closed? I think its a nice DAC/Amp combo.

Also would you say the EL-8's are warmer then the AEon's?

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2017 at 10:20 PM Post #3,662 of 5,483
I feel the EL8 is warmer. Especially if you use the AEON without the filters added. But definitely not bright, just very neutral. I think the Deckard would be fine with them. I like the Schiit Asgard 2 with them and it is a warmish amp. The deckard is more neutral as I recall from my limited time listening to it.

Dec 6, 2017 at 7:40 AM Post #3,666 of 5,483
After receiving the Aeons yesterday evening I have about 10 hours of burn in on them (3 listening to music and 7 playing pink noise) and they're sounding good. Here are the eq settings I'm using which seem to work well.
upload_2017-12-6_7-39-2.png

Dec 7, 2017 at 1:36 AM Post #3,667 of 5,483
After receiving the Aeons yesterday evening I have about 10 hours of burn in on them (3 listening to music and 7 playing pink noise) and they're sounding good. Here are the eq settings I'm using which seem to work well.
I apply the same LSF starting at 150Hz. This gives the Aeon goo body and not sounding too thin/flat. But I don't touch the mids and treble. Too me is just right. If I have to apply an eq, probably a -3dB HSF cut starting at 5Khz

Dec 7, 2017 at 7:10 AM Post #3,669 of 5,483
I apply the same LSF starting at 150Hz. This gives the Aeon goo body and not sounding too thin/flat. But I don't touch the mids and treble. Too me is just right. If I have to apply an eq, probably a -3dB HSF cut starting at 5Khz
I was only trying to fatten up the bass a little and then a friend who works in the industry and knows much more about DSP then I do made the suggestion regarding the mids and highs. It works very nicely for me. I primarily listen to classical but it sounds fantastic on every genre I've tried. It's worth giving it a try but of course comes down to personal preference. With 10+ more hours of burn on these, I am really impressed. Relative to my other HP's, these are hands down the best value for money purchase I've made.

Dec 7, 2017 at 7:17 AM Post #3,670 of 5,483
I don't understand how the aeons sound thin o_o

But ok

Sounding thin is most of the time associated with lesser low end (mid to sub bass) response. Which most neutral to bright sounding headphone are perceived.

However, SPL level sensitivity is very individual's ear-relative so my neutral can be someone else's already bright ostarting to be warm with someone else's. Then there is a matter or the individual components in the chain plus the reference headphone for comparison. For me, Aeon is thin in comparison with my MSR7SE which is slightly warm and THX-00 which relatively warmer. All 3 out of Hugo.

Dec 7, 2017 at 7:23 AM Post #3,671 of 5,483
I was only trying to fatten up the bass a little and then a friend who works in the industry and knows much more about DSP then I do made the suggestion regarding the mids and highs. It works very nicely for me. I primarily listen to classical but it sounds fantastic on every genre I've tried. It's worth giving it a try but of course comes down to personal preference. With 10+ more hours of burn on these, I am really impressed. Relative to my other HP's, these are hands down the best value for money purchase I've made.

so without the EQ you also find the aeon bass a bit lacking? That is how I understand your comment as you flatten the bass by boosting the low frequencies. From the looks of it, you probably like a slight U or V-shaped headphone. Have you tried the Fostex/MD THX-00 EB?

Dec 7, 2017 at 7:29 AM Post #3,672 of 5,483
Sounding thin is most of the time associated with lesser low end (mid to sub bass) response. Which most neutral to bright sounding headphone are perceived.

However, SPL level sensitivity is very individual's ear-relative so my neutral can be someone else's already bright ostarting to be warm with someone else's. Then there is a matter or the individual components in the chain plus the reference headphone for comparison. For me, Aeon is thin in comparison with my MSR7SE which is slightly warm and THX-00 which relatively warmer. All 3 out of Hugo.

The oppo pm3s should really suit you, those just seem slightly too thiccc for me :>

Dec 7, 2017 at 7:37 AM Post #3,673 of 5,483
so without the EQ you also find the aeon bass a bit lacking? That is how I understand your comment as you flatten the bass by boosting the low frequencies. From the looks of it, you probably like a slight U or V-shaped headphone. Have you tried the Fostex/MD THX-00 EB?
Yes, without EQ bass is lacking but I would phrase it as low end weight. They can hit the actual notes but the low end can have less impact then expected. I've never tried the Fostex. I have LCD-4, LCD-XC, LCDi4, ISINE 20, HD800s and InEar Prophile 8. I use the Roon preset for all of the Audeze HP's and do not EQ the HD800s or P8's but use their neutral/reference turning options (they have +2 dB treble and +3 dB bass switches on the actual IEM). Honestly I'm typically more concerned with treble then bass but do notice when it's lacking. Before I had the HD800s, I had the HD800. I did not mind the treble "spike" but did feel certain tracks felt incomplete with the lack of bass while others were perfect. The revisions Senn made with the HD800s were perfect for my preferences. That makes for a good comparison for the Aeons with and without the bass EQ adjustments but I still wouldn't say I prefer a V-shaped turning.

Dec 7, 2017 at 8:06 AM Post #3,675 of 5,483
The oppo pm3s should really suit you, those just seem slightly too thiccc for me :>
Unfortunately, I find the PM3 too warm and severely rolled-off in the treble. Making it sound muddy and lacking clarity and details. I like how the Aeon from high-bass all the way to the high treble region. In some cases, I like it the way it is. But if my mood calls for it I just raise the low-end starting at 150Hhz gradually rising and peak at 100Hz down to 20Hz by 3 to 6dB.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back