AEON, MrSpeakers' New Closed Back Planar Magnetic Headphone
Dec 4, 2017 at 10:07 PM Post #3,647 of 5,483
It has already been asked in this thread, but it has been quite some time. I tried out the Aeons and loved the mids to uppers but their thinnest down below left certain tracks feeling incomplete. I ended up going with LCD-XC's instead which sound excellent with Roon's DSP preset but there were still qualities of the Aeon that I missed. That said, I decided to keep the XC's and just bought a pair of Aeons.

Now that these have been out for a while, it would be great to see some of the EQ tweaks people have made to fatten up the bass. Parametric eq setting suggestions would be great, but if anyone happens to have a convolution filter that would work with Roon that would be even better.....
I've seen 2 suggestions in this thread and made note of them. There might be more. Here's what I got:

HuoYuanJia, #2645

Ok, so slam is the bigger brother of impact and punch. What I wanted to say is that the Æon lacks bass pressure compared to sub-bass and midrange. There is a slight drop from 70 - 200 Hz and a headphone gets its bass punch at around 150 Hz. That's exactly what the Æon subjectively lack (even opposed to a flat or neutral) tuning. That makes the presentation a lot more mellow and relaxed. Sure, this could be of preference and I think it works well for many albums in my library. Just sometimes it feels lacking.

Yes, I can use an EQ and yes, I do use an EQ. BTW: this is what it could look like if you want to try it out:

Either +2 dB @180 Hz, Q1.7 to flatten the bass or +2.5 dB @40 Hz, Q0.5 to broadly lift bass

+7.5 dB @2.3 kHz, Q3.5 and -1 dB @4 kHz, Q2.0 to flatten the midrange

My friend helped me calculate the quality factor in a visualized simulation. Now the Æon sound near perfect to me. :) The treble is just really, really amazing for a closed pair of headphones. I can't stress that enough! It helps a lot with layering, resolution, transparency and decay. This alone is worthy of a recommendation. But if MrSpeakers will eventually adjust my issues mentioned earlier, I will hold back and not click on purchase right away. Let's see what's going on next year.

Magick Man, #3284
The only thing I'd change would be a slight tuning adjustment (+2dB @125Hz), but they EQ so well that I just do that myself.

IME, I used to think the Aeon was lacking in the bass department and I used to use the foam inserts. I don't anymore on either count. They're definitely not basshead cans, but I don't run into as many tracks as I used to where I wish there was more bass. Burn in makes a big difference in evening out the sound. Or maybe it's just my perception has changed. Likely a bit of both. :)

Dec 5, 2017 at 2:59 AM Post #3,648 of 5,483
IME, I used to think the Aeon was lacking in the bass department and I used to use the foam inserts. I don't anymore on either count. They're definitely not basshead cans, but I don't run into as many tracks as I used to where I wish there was more bass. Burn in makes a big difference in evening out the sound. Or maybe it's just my perception has changed. Likely a bit of both. :)

There is definitely a big difference after burn in. I have tried a new pair side by side with my burnt in pair multiple times. The new pair sounded a little harsh and even a tad bit louder in volume at the same setting (could be driver match difference?). The burnt in pair was more even, had a bit darker tonality and not harsh at all. But I do also think that the pads has a little "burn-in" as they do get a little formed and changes shape abit after some use.

Dec 5, 2017 at 2:04 PM Post #3,649 of 5,483
There is definitely a big difference after burn in. I have tried a new pair side by side with my burnt in pair multiple times. The new pair sounded a little harsh and even a tad bit louder in volume at the same setting (could be driver match difference?). The burnt in pair was more even, had a bit darker tonality and not harsh at all. But I do also think that the pads has a little "burn-in" as they do get a little formed and changes shape abit after some use.
I would agree that "burn in" is a thing with these headphones. Not sure what it is, as I don't normally subscribe to any sort of audio "magic", but something definitely changes with some hours on them.

Dec 5, 2017 at 4:14 PM Post #3,651 of 5,483
Thanks for the response. I'll give them a try. I understand what you mean by your perception changing but I tend to use different HP's at different times and
Thanks for the responses. My Aeons will be delivered today. I only had the first set for about a week so they were not properly burned in. That said, I never noticed them being harsh, rather simply thinner bass than I prefer. I primarily listen to classical and am not looking for abnormal levels of bass. Only a complete sound with even weight across the spectrum. I'm not sure how much that will change over time but will try the EQ suggestions. I fully support the use of DSP/EQ with quality cans.

Dec 5, 2017 at 4:29 PM Post #3,653 of 5,483
I have both and feel the Aeon has better detail retrieval and more nuetral sound signature. But bass hits harder on EL8. But the Aeon responds very well to EQ. Or bass boost on my iDsd Black label.

Dec 5, 2017 at 4:34 PM Post #3,654 of 5,483
I have both and feel the Aeon has better detail retrieval and more nuetral sound signature. But bass hits harder on EL8. But the Aeon responds very well to EQ. Or bass boost on my iDsd Black label.
I would agree with this assessment and add that to me the Aeon are far more comfortable.

Dec 5, 2017 at 4:40 PM Post #3,655 of 5,483
So between the two. I have a Audeze Deckard was looking at selling the EL-8 just because they are heavy and sometimes bright. Seems like the Aeon's are lighter and more nuetral sounding. Bass is eh.... Don't really listen to to much thumping.

Dec 5, 2017 at 5:25 PM Post #3,656 of 5,483
So between the two. I have a Audeze Deckard was looking at selling the EL-8 just because they are heavy and sometimes bright. Seems like the Aeon's are lighter and more nuetral sounding. Bass is eh.... Don't really listen to to much thumping.
I wouldn't say the bass is, eh. I would say that the Aeon present honest bass. If it isn't there(i.e. in the source), they are not going to add it for you.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2017 at 6:00 PM Post #3,658 of 5,483
I do feel the Aeon is the best closed can I have heard. If you want closed and want to step up from the EL8 I would say the Aeon is the way to go. Especially if bass heavy music is not your forte.

Dec 5, 2017 at 8:33 PM Post #3,659 of 5,483
Also anyone using or tried this with the Woo Audio WA7d fireflies? (not the tube power supply)

Yes, first amp I tried when I picked up the Aeon's, for me it's not a great match. I'm far from an expert but I believe the output impedance is on the high side for them, they seem to perform better with a lower impedance 1ohm or less, they sound great with my ifi iCan SE which is less than 1ohm.

Dec 5, 2017 at 8:35 PM Post #3,660 of 5,483
I do feel the Aeon is the best closed can I have heard. If you want closed and want to step up from the EL8 I would say the Aeon is the way to go. Especially if bass heavy music is not your forte.
I guess I was a bit to vague? This is what I was trying to say. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back