AEON, MrSpeakers' New Closed Back Planar Magnetic Headphone
Oct 28, 2017 at 11:39 PM Post #3,362 of 5,483
I'll tell you what loves the Aeon Flows: Bootsy Collins' new album World Wide Funk.

Try Candy Coated Lover for vocals or Snow Bunny for some bass, still sounding a bit bright but plenty of bass

Bootsy is Funk on Acid! It’s cool album :)

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Oct 29, 2017 at 1:15 AM Post #3,363 of 5,483
I took the Aeons to a HeadFi Meet today and the reviews were very positive!
They really are wonderful headphones, for me they are definite keepers! I'm going to enjoy many hundreds (probably thousands) of hours of music through them

Oct 29, 2017 at 4:14 PM Post #3,364 of 5,483
After getting 120 hours of break-in on my Aeons I've went about finding the gear combo that suits them best, and so far that's my Chord Dave > EC Balancing Act. Despite the claim that the ECBA is for higher impedance headphones (16-600Ω), I've found it to have excellent synergy with the Aeons.

All that said, some people are probably saying "what the f^$% dude, that's a $13000 DAC/amp setup". Yeah, you're right, but I've also found you can get "there", or at least 90%-ish of the way there, with the Chord Hugo2 and a decent mid-range OTL amp, like the Schiit Valhalla 2 (which I think is quite a value). I like tubes with the Aeon because they add texture to the Aeon's unblemished clarity, causing the mids and treble to take on a natural and more "organic" character, for lack of a better word. It's like the difference between seeing a great high-res image of an orange and holding a real orange up to your face.

Oct 29, 2017 at 4:58 PM Post #3,366 of 5,483
I thought I just did. :wink: Yes, I think it's a very good value.

Oct 29, 2017 at 7:03 PM Post #3,368 of 5,483
Stock tubes are fine.

Oct 29, 2017 at 7:14 PM Post #3,369 of 5,483
The Aeons are best used with a solid state amp for the best quality of sound with the most detail. These headphones sound incredibly natural and detailed.

There is no reason to ruin the sound with tubes. There is a reason why things like Chord Dave don't come with tubes, because there is no point in resolving quality only to lose it in the amplification stage.

Oct 29, 2017 at 7:23 PM Post #3,370 of 5,483
The Aeons are best used with a solid state amp for the best quality of sound with the most detail. These headphones sound incredibly natural and detailed.

There is no reason to ruin the sound with tubes. There is a reason why things like Chord Dave don't come with tubes, because there is no point in resolving quality only to lose it in the amplification stage.

Hahaha shots fired.

Objectively you are probably correct. I am sure they measure better off an as amp and if you want pin point accuracy then sure.

Not everyone wants this, but you already know this haha.

Oct 29, 2017 at 8:04 PM Post #3,371 of 5,483

"IMO" of course, because I'm pretty sure you couldn't back that kind of sweeping generalization with any objective data. It's always best to include those three little letters when you make a supposedly authoritative statement on a forum such as this.

regards,

Giles

Oct 29, 2017 at 8:23 PM Post #3,372 of 5,483
"IMO" of course, because I'm pretty sure you couldn't back that kind of sweeping generalization with any objective data. It's always best to include those three little letters when you make a supposedly authoritative statement on a forum such as this.

regards,

Giles

Doesn't that go without saying. In the absence of some kind of objective hard evidence, that is all any of us have.
So, why the insistence on RE stating the obvious?

Oct 29, 2017 at 9:00 PM Post #3,373 of 5,483
Doesn't that go without saying. In the absence of some kind of objective hard evidence, that is all any of us have.
So, why the insistence on RE stating the obvious?

Because on this forum there are readers with varying levels of experience of audio.

To some of the novices, a statement made with authority can lead them to accept that view without understanding or questioning the rationale behind it. My comment is more towards pointing out that for the benefit of others that clarification that this is an unsubstantiated opinion is important. We shouldn't assume that because experienced posters understand an unvoiced context that everyone will. If you look at the original comment, its pretty unambiguous that the claim is being made that tubes reduce the resolution of a high end dac - referencing a particular unit and noting the absence of tubes. If you were a newby, it sounds like this guy knows what he's talking about, so they might then accept this as an absolute. If one of our roles on a forum is to help others in their path on our hobby, we need to be more even-handed. If you make a sweeping statement without referencing its basis, you can expect to be called out.

regards,

Giles

Oct 29, 2017 at 9:31 PM Post #3,374 of 5,483
Sounds just a slight bit like the proverbial nanny state to me.

People all should be aware that everything stated on any forum on the Internet that is not backed by hard objective evidence is an opinion. People may have on post, or they may have 12,000 posts and be a accomplished reviewer, it doesn't matter, al they have is opinions. I don't know what substantiated means in this context... backed by other opinions?
If anyone spends any time here they will learn that there are people that share their tastes and they can feel good about what they say. The rest, take it worth less than a grain of salt. if this is not understood early on, it soon will be. I am sure the market for tube amps will not collapse as a result of one statement. All of the first time posters that read this will not blindly rule out ever getting a tube amp.
If they might, leave it to the mods to decide. Report the post and go from there. It is quite unreasonable of one user to dictate writing style to another user, regardless of their opinions or world view..

Personally I BELIEVE that it is a waste of time to belabor the obvious.

As I recognize that above you are merely expressing another opinion, I will simply disagree, ignore it. And keep this in mind in the future when reading such other posts.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017 at 9:41 PM Post #3,375 of 5,483
Hahaha shots fired.

Objectively you are probably correct. I am sure they measure better off an as amp and if you want pin point accuracy then sure.

Not everyone wants this, but you already know this haha.

I totally agree that not everyone wants this, but it also is self defeating to buy 10k+ masterpieces like the Dave only to subdue the quality.
Since tube amps do have much higher THD and often much higher output impedance (depending on type / model) you can drive them with cheaper DACs to achieve the same sound quality since many DACs these days are already good enough to give you the sound you want.

That's all I'm saying, not that you can't enjoy music a different way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back