AEON, MrSpeakers' New Closed Back Planar Magnetic Headphone
Oct 26, 2017 at 10:33 PM Post #3,346 of 5,483
Can I just say how awesome it is that a representative from MrSpeakers comments and answers questions regularly here. I don't own any of their headphones but I subscribed just for their posts.

That my friend is not a Representative. It’s the man himself. Ok well his real name isn’t Speakers ......meet Dan Clark one of the finest in headphone design & manufacturing!

Last edited:
The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Oct 26, 2017 at 11:03 PM Post #3,347 of 5,483
That my friend is not a Representative. It’s the man himself. Ok well is real name isn’t Speakers ......meet Dan Clark one of the finest in headphone design & manufacturing!

FWIW, unfortunately I'm fairly certain I'll be returning mine - I've done my 2nd night of multi-hour listening and here are my findings (Tidal HiFi > Mojo (USB) > AFC):

* Super comfy, really a dream to wear, I love putting them on
* Super detailed, albeit very bright with some things like the knocky instrument in Eryka Badu's On & On actually painfully loud
* But ... compared to my P7s and PSB M4U2 both wired, they just sound thin albeit "neutral" and "accurate"

In short, there's no doubt these sound more accurate and my P7s are boomy. If I was going to be listening critically for awhile I'd definitely keep the AFCs, but the P7s just get my feet tapping with their "fun" musicality while the AFC are very interesting but not as emotional.

I will try them one more night with an optical connection to the Mojo. Overall I really like them, and I love the company, however they're maybe just not the right fit this year ...

Oct 26, 2017 at 11:09 PM Post #3,348 of 5,483
FWIW, unfortunately I'm fairly certain I'll be returning mine - I've done my 2nd night of multi-hour listening and here are my findings (Tidal HiFi > Mojo (USB) > AFC):

* Super detailed, albeit very bright with some things like the knocky instrument in Eryka Badu's On & On actually painfully loud
* But ... compared to my P7s and PSB M4U2 both wired, they just sound thin albeit "neutral" and "accurate"

In short, there's no doubt these sound more accurate and my P7s are boomy. If I was going to be listening critically for awhile I'd definitely keep the AFCs, but the P7s just get my feet tapping with their "fun" musicality while the AFC are very interesting but not as emotional.

I will try them one more night with an optical connection to the Mojo. Overall I really like them, and I love the company, however they're maybe just not the right fit this year ...

I’m not your reseller of course and I do agree these are not in the mainstream “fun” category but before you make the call to return them be sure they’re burned in. That’s when it’s best to make the call or not.

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Oct 26, 2017 at 11:20 PM Post #3,350 of 5,483

Idk man these are so balanced and nice.
Try a bit of EQ if you don't think there is enough bass!
Personally they just sound incredible.

Oct 26, 2017 at 11:34 PM Post #3,351 of 5,483

You need about 150 hrs burn in or good two weeks.
Mine then sounded so much better. Used less amp volume after the burn in.
I have P7 and hd600s.
Put in closet after Utopia and Aeon show up.

Oct 27, 2017 at 12:43 AM Post #3,353 of 5,483
Haha, hear that, Dan? Burn! You're just a representative, not the founder or anything :-D

LOL. Yes, it's still me. :)

Glad you enjoy the sound, if you want a bit more bass try the 2 notch filters, that will noticeably tip the bass up in the balance. If you're willing you may also want use them a bit longer, they do break in and 2 days isn't enough time. Bass output does increase as the diaphragms reach a steady state. If that still doesn't hit the sound you want no worries, and thanks for trying them.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Oct 27, 2017 at 7:18 AM Post #3,354 of 5,483
These headphones are literally awesome.
Honestly testing them against my AH-MM400, D7200, PM-2.... they are so accurate and lifelike.
The PM-2 has the same amount of detail but not the same tonality, but its also open back.
The AH-MM400 compares well also but its not as comfortable and not as lifelike, really the difference comes out in a live performance where this headphone really makes it sound like you are there.

I have compared aeon with my he1000v2 and lcd4, and they are not far away, i was really shocked when a-b testing.

Oct 27, 2017 at 9:58 AM Post #3,355 of 5,483
I have compared aeon with my he1000v2 and lcd4, and they are not far away, i was really shocked when a-b testing.
High praise indeed!

Oct 27, 2017 at 11:20 AM Post #3,356 of 5,483
Glad you enjoy the sound, if you want a bit more bass try the 2 notch filters, that will noticeably tip the bass up in the balance. If you're willing you may also want use them a bit longer, they do break in and 2 days isn't enough time. Bass output does increase as the diaphragms reach a steady state. If that still doesn't hit the sound you want no worries, and thanks for trying them.

wow, thanks Dan, I really appreciate your support on the forum and I'll definitely give it the 2 weeks and if it doesn't work out this time, you guys will always be my consideration set.

At the end of the day I'd much rather give my money to a small specialized company whose CEO is on this forum engaged with customers, so thanks! :)

Oct 27, 2017 at 3:05 PM Post #3,357 of 5,483
At the end of the day I'd much rather give my money to a small specialized company whose CEO is on this forum engaged with customers, so thanks! :)

Totally agree! (and already gave my money to Dan :wink:)

Oct 27, 2017 at 6:38 PM Post #3,359 of 5,483
wow, thanks Dan, I really appreciate your support on the forum and I'll definitely give it the 2 weeks and if it doesn't work out this time, you guys will always be my consideration set.

Keep in mind... the recommended 150 hours is a bit over 6 days running 24 hours per day. Typically I don't buy burn in, but if Dan says they need it, I am sure that they do.
I just left them plugged in with my library on random play..at a bit over the typical volume that I use... and let them run. Put them in a drawer or closet if needed.

But if you listen for two weeks, even at 4 hours to 6 hours per day, you won't hit the magic 150 hour mark. You would need around 11 hours per day to get there in two weeks.

Oct 28, 2017 at 3:23 AM Post #3,360 of 5,483
As a test for the experience of the attenuating capabilities of the pads...

1) Remove the AEON from your ears, keeping the right and left pads separate by a few inches, however many you prefer. Note the sound.

2) Now, squeeze the pads together. Vary the pressure at which you squeeze them together. Note the sound at the varying pressures, with the lightest pressure being the assumed pressure of the AEON being pressed against your skullbones in any listening condition.

A more scientific, quantitative test would use a dBA meter, but IMO, this is sufficient to show the superb attenuating capabilities of the Aeon with its stock pads, in a visceral manner (and when it comes to acoustic measures, what could be more important). I'd like to know if anyone knows of any headphones that attenuate bleeding (whether via exterior or interior, as IMO they are directly related) as well as these headphones, especially when quality of sound signature is of importance (which no one can deny the AFC (Aeon Flow Closed) has in spades which no one but the most strident naysayers can conclude).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back