AEON, MrSpeakers' New Closed Back Planar Magnetic Headphone
Oct 22, 2017 at 6:38 PM Post #3,301 of 5,483
What are everyone's thoughts on using the Aeons as portable headphones? It seems like they tick most of the boxes (great isolation, lightweight, great case), but any other thoughts in this regard?

And more specifically about powering these, would an LG V20 suffice, or at least push these to an acceptable volume, even if it doesn't power them incredibly? Or what about the HA-2SE (I imagine it's much stronger than the V20)? I'm sure a Mojo would be enough, but it's not what I would prefer to do (more bulky, more expensive).

And about the other end of the spectrum in terms of powering them, I imagine an Emotiva A-100 would make a nice pair with these, yes? They do have a somewhat lower sensitivity, but the extremely low impedance makes me wonder. And if anyone specifically has experience with the A-100 and Aeons, would you want to use the jumpers on the A-100 with these?

Personally I would be comfortable using these as portable cans.
I actually had a listen to them direct from my mates LG G6 and it not only had plenty of volume but sounded good!

I have a Google Pixel and it sounded ok-ish, but couldn't get volume out of them. I would think the V20 would go quite well though.

The only quibble I would have about being portable is while the cable 3.5 terminated, its quite clumsy. Perfect for at work for me, but if I was going portable I would get something a little shorter and thinner.

But the headphones themselves, provided you dont mind funny looks, are perfectly fine for portable. :)

Oct 22, 2017 at 7:20 PM Post #3,302 of 5,483
Ah, figured. It's why I've been considering a HA-2SE to pair with the V20 most of the time. Would be nice to not need it at all, but as long as the V20/30 serves as a "good enough" solution in a pinch, I think it's probably going to be a great way to go. Thanks!

Yeah, "Good enough" is accurate. It's not bad, but you get little authority and weight down low. For a low impedance headphone the Aeon does take some current to get the most out of them.

Oct 22, 2017 at 7:36 PM Post #3,303 of 5,483
Personally I would be comfortable using these as portable cans.
I actually had a listen to them direct from my mates LG G6 and it not only had plenty of volume but sounded good!

I have a Google Pixel and it sounded ok-ish, but couldn't get volume out of them. I would think the V20 would go quite well though.

The only quibble I would have about being portable is while the cable 3.5 terminated, its quite clumsy. Perfect for at work for me, but if I was going portable I would get something a little shorter and thinner.

But the headphones themselves, provided you dont mind funny looks, are perfectly fine for portable. :)

Good to hear. And yeah, they're certainly head-turners, but if the sound is as good as I've heard people say, then funny looks are but a small price to pay for what should be an excellent portable solution.

Oct 23, 2017 at 1:11 AM Post #3,304 of 5,483
I've been using mine on the subway and in noisy cafes this week and they're great. The isolation is such that I can hear my music decently despite powering them from a Nexus 5. I can get enough volume, but as mentioned above, they have little bass impact. I'm impressed with how well detailed the sound still is, despite using my phone's cheap DAC.

Oct 23, 2017 at 1:54 AM Post #3,305 of 5,483
I've been using mine on the subway and in noisy cafes this week and they're great. The isolation is such that I can hear my music decently despite powering them from a Nexus 5. I can get enough volume, but as mentioned above, they have little bass impact. I'm impressed with how well detailed the sound still is, despite using my phone's cheap DAC.
Awesome. And I don't even foresee using them in conditions quite as noisy as a subway, so it's great to hear that I'll be covered.

Oct 23, 2017 at 10:38 AM Post #3,306 of 5,483
Awesome. And I don't even foresee using them in conditions quite as noisy as a subway, so it's great to hear that I'll be covered.
It's mentioned above, but I'd like to reiterate. The Aeon's definitely benefit from amping. So if you're looking for comparable sound quality at home and on the go, I'd invest in a Mojo/iDSD BL or DAP. For me personally, their lack of punch from my phone is fine for now, though I'll definitely look into getting a portable amp sometime in the future.

Oct 23, 2017 at 7:58 PM Post #3,307 of 5,483
It's mentioned above, but I'd like to reiterate. The Aeon's definitely benefit from amping. So if you're looking for comparable sound quality at home and on the go, I'd invest in a Mojo/iDSD BL or DAP. For me personally, their lack of punch from my phone is fine for now, though I'll definitely look into getting a portable amp sometime in the future.
Yeah. I'm hoping a HA-2SE will drive it properly, but if it doesn't quite do it justice, I would definitely consider a Mojo.

Oct 23, 2017 at 8:15 PM Post #3,308 of 5,483
Do keep the Black Label in mind. I like very much, the sound of my AFC with the Black Label. It is not quite as portable as the Mojo. It can be had for less money though... if that is important.
Adorama has it for about $380 from time to time.

Oct 23, 2017 at 9:25 PM Post #3,309 of 5,483
Been running my AFC on a WA22 and Bimby. At first I thought the sound was a bit too light but it really just opens up and widens as it burns in. After the 100hr mark (Dan was pretty accurate with this) the cans sound AMAZING. The bass, the vocals, everything. As far as memory goes the only other can I've owned (owned many, haven't updated profile in ages) that I miss and wouldn't mind having alongside the AFC is a stax 007mk2 (maybe one day). For me, the AFC as my closed and stax for opened would probably end my head-fi journey....for awhile at least lol.

Oct 23, 2017 at 10:53 PM Post #3,310 of 5,483
Do keep the Black Label in mind. I like very much, the sound of my AFC with the Black Label. It is not quite as portable as the Mojo. It can be had for less money though... if that is important.
Adorama has it for about $380 from time to time.
Yeah I hadn't really considered it because it isn't as portable as the Mojo and really, the Mojo isn't all that much expensive used. Thing is, I've been thinking of using a backpack to carry the headphone's case in, and there's no reason I couldn't just stick the BL in there... It's an option. I'm really hoping the HA-2 is enough though.

Oct 24, 2017 at 8:43 AM Post #3,311 of 5,483
Yeah I hadn't really considered it because it isn't as portable as the Mojo and really, the Mojo isn't all that much expensive used. Thing is, I've been thinking of using a backpack to carry the headphone's case in, and there's no reason I couldn't just stick the BL in there... It's an option. I'm really hoping the HA-2 is enough though.
I would bet the HA-2 will do fine. If you like the synergy, you are set. Let us know how it goes. I have not used my HA-2 for sometime, as I don't listen while moving around all that much. I need to drag it out and try it with some of my new headphones.

Oct 25, 2017 at 7:51 AM Post #3,312 of 5,483
Definitely function as a portable if you choose. Here in Japan, most likely would not to many second looks. Absolutely use with an amp. I primarily use it with my Hugo 2, but if portable I will bring my Mojo.

My question, most likely already been addressed in previous threads, yay for the pads or without? I am referring to the pads which came with the Aeons. I am torn, but so far I like without. It does increase the mid-bass as advertised.

Oct 25, 2017 at 12:11 PM Post #3,313 of 5,483
I prefer them without the filter pads installed. It has been reported by others that they prefer listening with the filters. I guess it is all about any given person's preferences.
I like the more open and detailed sound without them and do not have any problem with the midbass with no filters.

Oct 25, 2017 at 2:28 PM Post #3,314 of 5,483
Food for thought...

For filters we suggest you don't go back and forth quickly but rather that you listen for an extended period to see which feels more engaging.

When "fast switching" most people will say the filters reduce resolution, but this is not quite the case. The materials we use have very low insertion loss from a resolution POV, BUT they do reduce the amplitude of the highs and can also reduce some peaks. If you increase treble output, many people will say the sound is "more detailed," but really all that has happened is the relative output of the details is increased.

So if you want more energy/"detail" then go without the filters, but if you prefer a slightly darker/warmer delivery then use them, but be a bit careful about judging "details" based on quick A/B comparison...

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Oct 25, 2017 at 2:54 PM Post #3,315 of 5,483
Yeah, "Good enough" is accurate. It's not bad, but you get little authority and weight down low. For a low impedance headphone the Aeon does take some current to get the most out of them.
This is the opposite of my findings.
I find everyone talking about "alot of current", "needs a good amp" on most of the headphone threads.
I have a JDS o2 with a 1x Gain (custom config) and honestly all of these "hard to drive" headphones as claimed in this thread, the Oppo PM-2 thread and the Denon D7200 thread and even somewhat in the AH-MM400 thread.... none of them require more than literally 930 on the dial in the JDS o2 in most tracks and upto 1 oclock for a really quiet track or for gaming with the game volume turned down to 30%.
On my Topping A30 I haven't found a headphone yet that even needs the "Hi" power mode as the most demanding headphone I have is the Yamaha YH-2 (150 Ohm vintage Ortho) and it needs like 2oclock from the 6.35mm jack on 9db gain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back