AEON, MrSpeakers' New Closed Back Planar Magnetic Headphone
Sep 15, 2017 at 3:22 AM Post #2,941 of 5,483
Hi, could you tell me how's the iDSD BL with the Lumia?
I have a Lumia 950 as my primary phone and I've been eyeing the BL for quite a while, but I can't try it out since I live in Taiwan and there's no store carrying the iDSD BL here.

Thanks in advance.
Works like a charm. Just plug an OTG cable from the phone to the BL and you are done. That being said I don't have and DSD files so I can't tell if it will play those off the Lumia. Windows10 mobile uses USB Audio Class 1 (UAC1) so it may not be able to do higher res Flac 192+ or DSD. But CD rips play just fine

Sep 15, 2017 at 3:51 AM Post #2,942 of 5,483
Hey guys, if i wanted to get cables for these, is there anywhere I can get some under $100? I really feel like i shouldn't spend more than $50 on cables.

Don't need one right now, but just asking!

Not sure about SQ of Aeon's cable because I only own Ether Flow not Aeon at the moment.
If SQ of Aeon's cable are on par or nearly DUM cable of the Flow, I suggest not to spend $ for only fancy cable. I already buy Wywires Platinum for upgrade even over all SQ are better than DUM but it cost me around 700$ (6 feet).
To be honest, for 50 - 100$ cable I didn't think you'll get any better SQ than DUM cable, it's that good.

Sep 15, 2017 at 3:54 AM Post #2,943 of 5,483
Works like a charm. Just plug an OTG cable from the phone to the BL and you are done. That being said I don't have and DSD files so I can't tell if it will play those off the Lumia. Windows10 mobile uses USB Audio Class 1 (UAC1) so it may not be able to do higher res Flac 192+ or DSD. But CD rips play just fine

Thank you very much!

I've search through the iDSD thread but nobody ever mention Lumia or Windows Mobile there. Now I can pull the trigger without worry when it's on sale again.

Sep 15, 2017 at 8:02 AM Post #2,944 of 5,483
Not sure about SQ of Aeon's cable because I only own Ether Flow not Aeon at the moment.
If SQ of Aeon's cable are on par or nearly DUM cable of the Flow, I suggest not to spend $ for only fancy cable. I already buy Wywires Platinum for upgrade even over all SQ are better than DUM but it cost me around 700$ (6 feet).
To be honest, for 50 - 100$ cable I didn't think you'll get any better SQ than DUM cable, it's that good.
geez really? well, I'd think DUM is a bit better than DUMMER, but can anyone qualify that?

Also: i'm honestly still to believe in the power of expensive cables. All in all though, $50-$100 cables DO NOT EXIST for these headphones, not unless i make one myself for that price or something. Also, I wanted something a bit "thinner", that can roll up into a smaller ball (if that makes sense). Again, currently i have ZERO need for an extra cable but I can definitely see myself needing to replace it at some point (mostly cuz of loss).

Sep 15, 2017 at 11:19 AM Post #2,946 of 5,483
So Mojo or Ifi BL? Need a solid portable amp!

Has anyone tried the Oppo Ha-2/2se?
@BuddhaBruce I can confirm, these Aeon's sound absolutely sublime with the Oppo HA-2. Hearing a lot of details in familiar music that I didn't notice before. Very pleasant to listen to. There are hints of warmth, excellent detail retrieval across pretty much any genre of music I've thrown at it.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2017 at 2:59 PM Post #2,947 of 5,483
Nah that wasn't it. Idk the lady assisting couldn't get it to work even though it was powering on
Damn, that sucks. Sometimes my iphone or ipod touch won't work with my Dacportable and I have to restart either device to have it notice the DAC and work. Perhaps that was all that was needed. I had an older, skinny gentleman helping me (in Audio46) and he pulled out just about anything I asked to demo. I have been told mentioning their Youtube channels really rolls out the red carpet. I mentioned that before I started and it was smooth sailing playing with all the toys.

Sep 15, 2017 at 3:01 PM Post #2,948 of 5,483
Damn, that sucks. Sometimes my iphone or ipod touch won't work with my Dacportable and I have to restart either device to have it notice the DAC and work. Perhaps that was all that was needed. I had an older, skinny gentleman helping me (in Audio46) and he pulled out just about anything I asked to demo. I have been told mentioning their Youtube channels really rolls out the red carpet. I mentioned that before I started and it was smooth sailing playing with all the toys.
Being extremely awkward IRL, i'm wondering how ud do that..i feel like i'd just awkwardly mumble and eventually just yell out "audio46 YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!"

Sep 15, 2017 at 3:11 PM Post #2,949 of 5,483
Being extremely awkward IRL, i'm wondering how ud do that..i feel like i'd just awkwardly mumble and eventually just yell out "audio46 YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!"
LMAO. I regularly watch two of their channels (their Spanish and their English one, they have a Russian and Chinese one as well). When asking questions on the BL video in the YouTube comments and mentioning I would be in NYC soon, one of their staffers recommended me to mention that I watch their channels. He said, " Be sure that you let us know that you are a fan of the channels, and we will make sure that you get an even better service experience than normal." Sorry mods for the derailment. PM me if anyone has any more questions regarding everything I have mentioned that isn't the Aeon. :gs1000smile:

Sep 16, 2017 at 12:11 AM Post #2,950 of 5,483
Did anybody compared Aeons with Shure 1540?
What the difference in sound between these headphones on jazz, classical and vocal music?
I've owned the 1540s, but I've been listening exclusively (well not quite, also have a couple of IEMs for travel) to various MrSpeakers closed headphones for almost two years since then (Alpha Prime, Ether C Flow, Æon), so my memories of the 1540s may be distorted. In summary, the 1540s sounded muffled, boring compared with the clearer, deeper MrSpeakers house sound. My favorite in the closed MrSpeakers lineup is the C Flow for its full-bodied sound, but the Æon is very engaging, clear, great bass, if somewhat leaner in the midrange.

Sep 16, 2017 at 10:24 PM Post #2,951 of 5,483
How does AEON sound compared Oppo PM3?
I liked PM3 sound tone, sweet midrange and easy sound extraction (reminded me Grado).
But PM3 have some drawbacks - small soundstage and has bad musical instrument separation.
On one hand, all vocal music sounds amazing with PM3. On other hand, I like to listen old mono classical and jazz recording.
But Oppo are not good for old mono, because these records sound good on headphones or speakers with good resolution and separation of music from noise.

Sep 16, 2017 at 10:57 PM Post #2,952 of 5,483
How does AEON sound compared Oppo PM3?
I liked PM3 sound tone, sweet midrange and easy sound extraction (reminded me Grado).
But PM3 have some drawbacks - small soundstage and has bad musical instrument separation.
On one hand, all vocal music sounds amazing with PM3. On other hand, I like to listen old mono classical and jazz recording.
But Oppo are not good for old mono, because these records sound good on headphones or speakers with good resolution and separation of music from noise.

IMO, Aeon easily surpasses the PM-3. There are comparisons earlier in this thread.

Sep 17, 2017 at 7:34 AM Post #2,953 of 5,483
My Aeon finally arrived and these cans sound great. I have a hard time believing they are closed backed. I am driving the Aeon using Tidal to Yggdrasil and Liquid Gold. I am jamming out to Frank Zappa's Joes Garage and some Dave Brubeck.
i know this is an old post, and WAY OT, but OMG i love your beard dude! Awesome beard!

Sep 17, 2017 at 7:39 PM Post #2,954 of 5,483
Sep 18, 2017 at 1:20 AM Post #2,955 of 5,483
Just to share my experiment of my curiosity. Today i tried different filter mode with my 2 iems Martian and er4sr and 2 headphones which are Aeon and Sine. I hear the preference filter for me is Hybid fast roll off using a test track of cymbal. It sounds more real and natural compare to the rest of the mode. Brickwall come very close.

So for my conclusion is any headphone or iem do not make a difference in the preference of the filter mode.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back