AEON, MrSpeakers' New Closed Back Planar Magnetic Headphone
Sep 14, 2017 at 4:31 PM Post #2,926 of 5,483
I'm kinda waiting for the next mrspeakers headphones to see if he's gonna call it "DUMMEST" cable. and MORE importantly, what comes after 'DUMMEST'? ('TRUMP'? :p )
Bringing politics into this thread seems like a bad idea.

That being said I hope there's an open-back Aeon in the works. I'd probably sell my HD800S if an open back Aeon came out lol

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2017 at 4:49 PM Post #2,927 of 5,483
Bringing politics into this thread seems like a bad idea.

It is a bad idea, and it violates a few rules. I would hope that the OP edits the post before it has to be reported and likely moderated.
The comment brings nothing to the discussion of the Aeon!

Sep 14, 2017 at 6:34 PM Post #2,928 of 5,483
It is a bad idea, and it violates a few rules. I would hope that the OP edits the post before it has to be reported and likely moderated.
The comment brings nothing to the discussion of the Aeon!
just a joke. anyways, edited

Sep 14, 2017 at 8:23 PM Post #2,931 of 5,483
I have tried the Mojo and BL in Audio46 in NYC. I tried them both not with the Aeons but the Beyerdynamic DT 1770s, 1990s, Audeze Sine, and Ultrasone HFI-780 S. Both are great DAC/AMPS but the RF noise rumors from the Mojo and phones (unless your phone is on airplane mode) are true. The Mojo was useless with a Lumia 950xl (more noise than music) and terrible RF noise with a iPhone 6S. Most forums out there said it would most likely not work with a windows 10mobile phone and that is true but the iPhone was shocking. I, ultimately chose the BL in the end. I also have the Centrance Dacportable and the BL and the Dacportable have no RF noise issues. The Mojo's microusb port have broken on numerous owners on the Mojo thread. Sound wise I thought the Mojo had a lower noise floor while I thought the BL sounded more detailed and had more bass (with the bass-boost off). Hope this helps.

Hi, could you tell me how's the iDSD BL with the Lumia?
I have a Lumia 950 as my primary phone and I've been eyeing the BL for quite a while, but I can't try it out since I live in Taiwan and there's no store carrying the iDSD BL here.

Thanks in advance.

Sep 14, 2017 at 9:32 PM Post #2,932 of 5,483
Last edited:
Sep 14, 2017 at 9:44 PM Post #2,933 of 5,483
With regard to the iDSD BL with Aeon (I cant speak to Aeon but I did use it wiht my Ether C 1.1).
The iDSD was a fantastic pairing as I found it added a bit more body to the sound. It also had the advantage of having bass boost which is rare on higher end devices, Not that many would consider the iDSD Black High end, but it certainly keeps some high end setups honest.

I also used the Mojo. The mojo to me sounded "better" with the Ether. It really portrayed the mids in a special way.

HOWEVER I overall preferred the iDSD for its low end and body.
Having a good quality bass boost was fantastic and to me made the Ethers more flexible as I listen to vastly different genres.

The iDSD also portrayed a wider and airier presentation with the Mojo sounding more intimate.

Both are fantastic, I just preferred the diversity of the iDSD, given how revealing the Mr Speakers cans are, any changes upstream really flowed in all their glory through the cans.

I am currently debating getting a pair of Aeons or ZMF Ori. Very different cans, but my preference naturally is for the Ori sound. However it is hard to pass up the clarity and refinement of the Aeon. I would however also need to purchase a new iDSD BL :frowning2:

Sep 14, 2017 at 10:27 PM Post #2,934 of 5,483
With regard to the iDSD BL with Aeon (I cant speak to Aeon but I did use it wiht my Ether C 1.1).
The iDSD was a fantastic pairing as I found it added a bit more body to the sound. It also had the advantage of having bass boost which is rare on higher end devices, Not that many would consider the iDSD Black High end, but it certainly keeps some high end setups honest.

I also used the Mojo. The mojo to me sounded "better" with the Ether. It really portrayed the mids in a special way.

HOWEVER I overall preferred the iDSD for its low end and body.
Having a good quality bass boost was fantastic and to me made the Ethers more flexible as I listen to vastly different genres.

The iDSD also portrayed a wider and airier presentation with the Mojo sounding more intimate.

Both are fantastic, I just preferred the diversity of the iDSD, given how revealing the Mr Speakers cans are, any changes upstream really flowed in all their glory through the cans.

I am currently debating getting a pair of Aeons or ZMF Ori. Very different cans, but my preference naturally is for the Ori sound. However it is hard to pass up the clarity and refinement of the Aeon. I would however also need to purchase a new iDSD BL :frowning2:
so you would qualify Aeon as having more clarity and refinement than ZMF Ori? Would you be able to compare to other ZMF phones btw?

Sep 14, 2017 at 10:47 PM Post #2,935 of 5,483
so you would qualify Aeon as having more clarity and refinement than ZMF Ori? Would you be able to compare to other ZMF phones btw?

No I wouldn't qualify the Aeon as having more clarity and refinement that the ZMF Ori, just that clarity and refinement to me are strong suits of the Mr Speakers line, particularly the Ether, Ether Flow and Aeon.
I also have not heard the Ori personally to pass judgement, however I have heard them compared to the HD650, LCD3, HD600, all of which I have heard enough to draw SOME conclusions that the Ori would be more along my natural preference in sound presentation. However having owned the Ether C 1.1 for some time and listening to them around 7-8 hours a day for 12 months, I can say that I did find the clarity and presentation of them fantastic, albeit leaner and less bassy than I normally prefer.

I made up for this in part by using the iDSD Black.

Sep 15, 2017 at 12:58 AM Post #2,936 of 5,483
Hey guys, if i wanted to get cables for these, is there anywhere I can get some under $100? I really feel like i shouldn't spend more than $50 on cables.

Don't need one right now, but just asking!

Sep 15, 2017 at 2:03 AM Post #2,938 of 5,483
It definitely helps. I actually went to Audio46 the other week to try out the Aeons, before deciding to buy and the lady assisting me couldn't get the Mojo to work! So I couldn't even test it. I wanted to test the BL but it seemed like they were not entertaining that haha
If you had the phone in a battery case it will not work. My iphone wouldn't connect with Mojo in it's battery case. Once removed it worked...with RF buzzing galore.

Sep 15, 2017 at 2:07 AM Post #2,939 of 5,483
Hey guys, if i wanted to get cables for these, is there anywhere I can get some under $100? I really feel like i shouldn't spend more than $50 on cables.

Don't need one right now, but just asking!

You can get a nicely braided, high-quality, balanced cable with color of your choice for $105 (5 feet, cheaper at 4 feet) https://squareup.com/store/ursine-audio/item/braided-headphone-cable

I have two of those, one for Utopia and one for Aeon and I love them. Takes 4~ish weeks, but worth it.

Sep 15, 2017 at 3:09 AM Post #2,940 of 5,483

Users who are viewing this thread

Back