AEON, MrSpeakers' New Closed Back Planar Magnetic Headphone
Sep 18, 2017 at 5:29 AM Post #2,956 of 5,483
SO I just bought these headphones, gonna take a month to get here, in the meantime, I'm looking for a good DAP that supports TIDAL (tidal offline capability important). [And before you say something, smartphones are *not* an option since future smartphones will not have 3.5mm jacks and thus be unable to charge and music at the same time. I take a lot of very long bus trips and plane trips so this is extemely important to me] I'm currently torn between X5 3rd Gen and Pioneer xdp-100r-(s):
  1. People who have tried one or more of the above two, any suggestions on which one will sound better with Aeon?
  2. At some point in the future i plan to invest in a WA8, mostly for the Amp section. Do any of the above bypass the Amp section by using Line Out?
  3. Does anyone have OTHER suggestions. Generally I just need something that can do: good music output to Aeon (standalone) whilst charging, be able to output at Line out (bypass Amp) to WA8
    • It would be AWESOME, if there exists a DAP that is capable of doing USB output to WA8 WHILST being able to charge simultenously, do these exist?

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2017 at 6:29 AM Post #2,957 of 5,483
SO I just bought these headphones, gonna take a month to get here, in the meantime, I'm looking for a good DAP that supports TIDAL (tidal offline capability important). [And before you say something, smartphones are *not* an option since future smartphones will not have 3.5mm jacks and thus be unable to charge and music at the same time. I take a lot of very long bus trips and plane trips so this is extemely important to me] I'm currently torn between X5 3rd Gen and Pioneer xdp-100r-(s):
  1. People who have tried one or more of the above two, any suggestions on which one will sound better with Aeon?
  2. At some point in the future i plan to invest in a WA8, mostly for the Amp section. Do any of the above to bypass the Amp section by using Line Out?
  3. Does anyone have OTHER suggestions. Generally I just need something that can do: good music output to Aeon (standalone) whilst charging, be able to output at Line out (bypass Amp) to WA8
    • It would be AWESOME, if there exists a DAP that is capable of doing USB output to WA8 WHILST being able to charge simultenously, do these exist?
Certain usb hubs will let you charge and run data/music through them while your DAP does its duties. This will have you stacking the DAP, a small usb hub, and a small battery charger.

Sep 18, 2017 at 2:24 PM Post #2,958 of 5,483
Certain usb hubs will let you charge and run data/music through them while your DAP does its duties. This will have you stacking the DAP, a small usb hub, and a small battery charger.
unfortunately i have android usb-c phones and none of them let you do this...no idea why you just can't. Some android tablets can do this, but even pixel/nexus etc cannot. As for non phone DAPs, idk which one to get for USB then, it'd be great if someone had a DAP/hub combo that they KNOW works.

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2017 at 4:10 PM Post #2,959 of 5,483
unfortunately i have android usb-c phones and none of them let you do this...no idea why you just can't. Some android tablets can do this, but even pixel/nexus etc cannot. As for non phone DAPs, idk which one to get for USB then, it'd be great if someone had a DAP/hub combo that they KNOW works.
Damn

Sep 19, 2017 at 4:52 AM Post #2,960 of 5,483
  2. At some point in the future i plan to invest in a WA8, mostly for the Amp section. Do any of the above bypass the Amp section by using Line Out?
I have the XDP-100R but I don't use it with the Aeon. It sounds good with my IEMs and has aptX for my bluetooth headphones. It works great for Tidal offline and has a line out.

Sep 19, 2017 at 5:01 AM Post #2,961 of 5,483
I have the XDP-100R but I don't use it with the Aeon. It sounds good with my IEMs and has aptX for my bluetooth headphones. It works great for Tidal offline and has a line out.
how;s the software experience? I liked the fiio until i saw a Zeos review on it and saw how SLOW the software was it would REALLY piss me off after a few days.

One of the things that's preventing me from going xdp100-r is the reports of it's compatibility issues with 200GB cards, since that's the only high capacity card I have on hand...what capacity SDCard do you use?

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2017 at 5:59 AM Post #2,963 of 5,483
Also thrown in the mix now: DP-X1, it's a BIT more expensive but i like that it has balanced out and it sounds like it MAY be worth the extra $100 or so.

Sep 19, 2017 at 9:57 AM Post #2,965 of 5,483
I've got the DP-X1 and a iFi Black Label. While the Onkyo DAP is great and does an acceptable job with the AEONs, they sound much better with the Black Label. That pairing really has a beautiful synergy, and it seems like it's become one of the more popular pairings for the AEONs (at least, going by this thread). As a less expensive option, the Fiio A5 does an admirable job with the AEONs and as an amp will outperform any DAP that I have heard.

Sep 19, 2017 at 10:23 AM Post #2,966 of 5,483
I've got the DP-X1 and a iFi Black Label. While the Onkyo DAP is great and does an acceptable job with the AEONs, they sound much better with the Black Label. That pairing really has a beautiful synergy, and it seems like it's become one of the more popular pairings for the AEONs (at least, going by this thread). As a less expensive option, the Fiio A5 does an admirable job with the AEONs and as an amp will outperform any DAP that I have heard.
how's the dp-x1?

Sep 19, 2017 at 10:41 AM Post #2,967 of 5,483
how's the dp-x1?

I love it. I've had no problems with it, nor concerns about it's build or anything like that. The software and EQ have been terrific, no issues there. Great battery life if you make sure not to run everything all the time. With IEMs, I never miss my external amp (iBasso P5) because it runs them wonderfully. Headphones are hit or miss. There are very few in my collection that I feel live up to their potential on the DP-X1, so I always run cans through my amp. The AEONs in particular sound much better with an external amp.

The DAC on the DP-X1 is great though, definitely the best iteration of the 9018 that I've heard in a DAP, but I imagine some of the 9028 models (like the X7 or DX200) have better sound. Lots of detail, very neutral (which the Black Label is not quite so good at), and great low-end texture. With the AEONs, these differences are noticeable and appreciated. The Onkyo is definitely worth it's price, and I actually prefer the DP-X1 to P5 option over the Black Label for strictly sound quality.

Sep 19, 2017 at 11:04 AM Post #2,968 of 5,483
The QP2r is really worth hearing, as well. I have a pre-production unit and it's a wonderful sounding player.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Sep 19, 2017 at 1:20 PM Post #2,969 of 5,483
The DAC on the DP-X1 is great though, definitely the best iteration of the 9018 that I've heard in a DAP, but I imagine some of the 9028 models (like the X7 or DX200) have better sound. Lots of detail, very neutral (which the Black Label is not quite so good at), and great low-end texture. With the AEONs, these differences are noticeable and appreciated. The Onkyo is definitely worth it's price, and I actually prefer the DP-X1 to P5 option over the Black Label for strictly sound quality.

I am just curious about part of what you said, bolded above.

Which do you consider the iDSD to not be not quite so good at? Detail, or being neutral?

Sep 19, 2017 at 1:41 PM Post #2,970 of 5,483
I am just curious about part of what you said, bolded above.

Which do you consider the iDSD to not be not quite so good at? Detail, or being neutral?

The neutral part. I find myself having to lower the ~1-2.5k region about 1 db or so, because the Black Label comes off as shouty to me in that area. Now, this is an area in the FR where I am more sensitive than most to elevation or spikes (I note this idiosyncrasy in my sonic preferences section of my profile), but I don't have to make the same adjustment with the DP-X1. The AEONs have a FR that doesn't mesh well with that particular bump in the mids. Running both DACs through my Violectric amp, I can hear the same difference, so I don't think it's the amp section of the iFi that's throwing it off for me. Nor does it show up when I use the DP-X1 as a DAC and the iFi as the amp.

Regarding details, the DP-X1 is more detailed. Not faulting the iFi, but it just doesn't have the same level of micro details.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back