AEON, MrSpeakers' New Closed Back Planar Magnetic Headphone
Aug 1, 2017 at 8:53 PM Post #2,566 of 5,483
Dan, Warren and I watched a security guard at last years SF Head-fi meet pound to death a set of Utopia's. The drivers could be heard popping 20 feet away. It was amazing he didn't scream from pain but he appeared to be oblivious to the driver overload. Crazy but it does happens. Glad to hear your cans survived. The Utopia didn't.
Sweet jebus. I didn't think it was really possible to blow a set of high quality drivers. Possibly turned them up too loud underamped and killed them from amp clipping (leading to driver overheating)?

Personal experience is that Aeon are pretty hard to drive. They aren't unpleasant by any means coming out of my iBasso D6, but they certainly give a little sense of something missing. All I've got for comparison is the other end of the power spectrum (Burson Soloist, Dynalo). The difference in dynamics and presence is palpable. It's definitely got me thinking about what could discreetly replace the iBasso at work and give me a little more power.

User above is probably doing what I also have a tendancy to do, which is to turn the volume up to help bring dynamics. With enough power, this happens at lower volumes.

Aug 1, 2017 at 9:08 PM Post #2,567 of 5,483
I have both HD6XX and Aeon, they definitely are quite differentidifferent. You can't go wrong with Aeon if you are looking at closed back cans.
Dear room:
Do you think pretty highly of these if these were the only closed cans you could have? From what I have read, many people said these wouldn't win a particular category (ex, sound stage or bass), but that they do everything well, and nothing poor. Would you agree with that statement? I could live with that. How would you contrast these with the hd6xxs?

Anyone know if a vali2 would work well with these?
Thanks!!!

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2017 at 9:09 PM Post #2,568 of 5,483
While I don't find it too hard to drive, it's not even half-way from my CV5, I think it is also not very efficient either. I almost reach full volume on my Onkyo at high gain though (50/60). Any DAP with a bit more powerful amp section should be fine I guess.

Aug 1, 2017 at 9:15 PM Post #2,569 of 5,483
Do you think pretty highly of these if these were the only closed cans you could have? From what I have read, many people said these wouldn't win a particular category (ex, sound stage or bass), but that they do everything well, and nothing poor. Would you agree with that statement? I could live with that. How would you contrast these with the hd6xxs?

Anyone know if a vali2 would work well with these?
Thanks!!!

Yes, I completely agree with that statement. It does everything well, but not one thing very special, which made it a very balanced headphone that sounds good in every genre I have tried.

Contrast with HD6XX, aside of being open, the 6XX will have a more lush, full bodied midrange. The bass won't extend as far as Aeon though, and the treble in 6XX is also not as clear. I think Aeon is a much better headphone overall. :)

Aug 1, 2017 at 9:32 PM Post #2,570 of 5,483
Yes, I completely agree with that statement. It does everything well, but not one thing very special, which made it a very balanced headphone that sounds good in every genre I have tried.

Contrast with HD6XX, aside of being open, the 6XX will have a more lush, full bodied midrange. The bass won't extend as far as Aeon though, and the treble in 6XX is also not as clear. I think Aeon is a much better headphone overall. :)

Thank you for your insight. I will definitely add this to my closed back list.
So when did you get your 6xxs from massdrop. Just got in on the last group purchase. Have to wait 5 months, but will make a nice gift when they arrive.

Your analysis was much appreciated.

Aug 1, 2017 at 9:33 PM Post #2,571 of 5,483
Sweet jebus. I didn't think it was really possible to blow a set of high quality drivers. Possibly turned them up too loud underamped and killed them from amp clipping (leading to driver overheating)?

Personal experience is that Aeon are pretty hard to drive. They aren't unpleasant by any means coming out of my iBasso D6, but they certainly give a little sense of something missing. All I've got for comparison is the other end of the power spectrum (Burson Soloist, Dynalo). The difference in dynamics and presence is palpable. It's definitely got me thinking about what could discreetly replace the iBasso at work and give me a little more power.

User above is probably doing what I also have a tendancy to do, which is to turn the volume up to help bring dynamics. With enough power, this happens at lower volumes.

Voltage swing, slew rate, crosstalk, channel separation, harmonic distortion, etc., are all far more important than just the max power spec label - yet that's all people talk about when hearing a better designed amp - if there is enough power for a particular headphone (with some headroom).

Take a set of headphones and drive them from a 4W amp and a 500mW amp (as long as it's enough to handle a particular headphone's load). When volume matched to say 90dB they are both outputting the exact same amount of power to reach that same volume level on that headphone and the 4W amp is not using anywhere near its max power spec. Preferences for an amps signature also don't mean the 'quality' is from the max power spec. Dynamics and separation and cleanliness of the amp have more to do with a better design, not always just a more powerful design, and quite often preferences come in to play more than actual measured performance.

Aug 1, 2017 at 10:16 PM Post #2,573 of 5,483
The Aeon is not efficient, but it's also not difficult to drive to reasonable volume, either. I listen to classical so I like my volume up to hear all the details, and with the Aeon I have never had to have the volume set past midway. I have three amps that I use to pair with the Aeon: Mojo, G1217 Project Polaris, and FiiO E18. They all achieve a "reasonably loud" volume easily, especially on the Mojo.

As for synergy, the Aeon gives off a pretty smooth sound signature, so I generally go for the Mojo to have some precision / bring out the organic from things like strings. Forgot to mention that I listen with the foam insert in place, so my Aeon is warm compared to others that might not have the insert. I guess without the insert then it makes sense to go for a warm/tube amp.

Agreed with one of the earlier remarks that the Aeon doesn't do anything odd (like too much treble, or boomy bass, etc.). It's tonally balanced across the spectrum so most of the time I just find myself enjoying the music. Vocal is top-notch thanks to the full-bodied midrange. Pairing with the Mojo gives off a decent amount of punchy bass that's helpful for pop/rock genres. Some tracks are going to found hollow / lacking in depth, but I haven't come across this scenario often so I think it's just the tracks.

Overall happy and impressed by what a closed can is able to achieve when done right. If you are looking for a closed headphone, don't think, just grab the Aeon. I find myself going for the Aeon more often now when I have 2-3 other open cans.

Aug 1, 2017 at 10:33 PM Post #2,574 of 5,483
Shanling M5 DAP and the Aeon... high gain mode I can't go over 60/120 on the volume dial without it being uncomfortably loud. This is a really great pairing and a cheap way to really push the Aeon.

Aug 1, 2017 at 10:39 PM Post #2,575 of 5,483
Voltage swing, slew rate, crosstalk, channel separation, harmonic distortion, etc., are all far more important than just the max power spec label - yet that's all people talk about when hearing a better designed amp - if there is enough power for a particular headphone (with some headroom).

Take a set of headphones and drive them from a 4W amp and a 500mW amp (as long as it's enough to handle a particular headphone's load). When volume matched to say 90dB they are both outputting the exact same amount of power to reach that same volume level on that headphone and the 4W amp is not using anywhere near its max power spec. Preferences for an amps signature also don't mean the 'quality' is from the max power spec. Dynamics and separation and cleanliness of the amp have more to do with a better design, not always just a more powerful design, and quite often preferences come in to play more than actual measured performance.
Makes sense. However, personal experience through my travels upgrading amps was that the headphones that struggled with the cheaper amps felt more dynamic on the more expensive (bigger) amps, and headphones that sounded fine on the cheaper amps did not exhibit the same improvements on the bigger amps. Audio Technica AD500 feel as dynamic, punchy and full as they'll ever be on a small amp. Aeon definitely benefits from the bigger/better amps. I interpreted this as more available power for the drivers and better handling of transient peaks (where power can be above stated output).

The way our ears hear frequency response with volume is that as volume increases, so does our perception of bass/dynamics. With a cheaper/less capable unit, even if, as you say, it's not a power deficicency, I will listen louder than I would on a better unit simply because it's the poor man's way of waking the headphone up. It sounds less flat if you put more volume into it.

Anyway, I don't know these particular audio players and how much sound they put out. Just adding the personal observation that the overall loudness of the music can vary beyond just the volume setting depending on what's driving it and better amps can let you listen softer to net the same dynamic response.

Aug 1, 2017 at 10:48 PM Post #2,576 of 5,483
Thank you for your insight. I will definitely add this to my closed back list.
So when did you get your 6xxs from massdrop. Just got in on the last group purchase. Have to wait 5 months, but will make a nice gift when they arrive.

Your analysis was much appreciated.

I was lucky to get in the first drop of HD6XX last year, it arrived at the start of this year. :)

Aug 1, 2017 at 10:50 PM Post #2,577 of 5,483
I am listening the Aeon with DX200: almost max out. From 120 to 135 with hi gain. 150 is max volume.
Aeon is harder to drive.

Are you using the Amp1 or Amp2. It sounds like it's Amp1 single ended output. But for the balanced output you get more headroom. However, even with single output/Amp1 DX200 have more than enough to drive Aeon. Still, DX200 is not the DAP I would like to pair with Aeon.

Aug 1, 2017 at 10:54 PM Post #2,578 of 5,483
I really don't understand how the AEON could require such volume unless you like to listen loudly. They are more efficient in impedance and sensitivity than the ETHER Flow and I drive those just fine with 50-60/120 volume on the X5iii which is far less powerful than the DX200(am1), and in the lower double red with the Mojo for my listening levels averaging 85dB.

I'd be curious to know what the actual dB levels are that you're getting at those volume settings with the AEON.

Has anyone compared the ETHER Flow to the AEON at the same volume setting? I'm really curious to know what the perception of volume is at the same level between the two for a frame of reference.
It's not unusual, for amp1, especially for single ended output and depending on the dynamic range of the file being played. Having a very low impedance is actually hard for a DAP to drive the aeons. It means it will demand more current and it is not exactly efficient at 95dB at it's rated impedance.

Having said that, I like the aeons paired with AK240SS on balanced out better than with DX200 or LPG.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2017 at 11:16 PM Post #2,579 of 5,483
Anyway, I don't know these particular audio players and how much sound they put out. Just adding the personal observation that the overall loudness of the music can vary beyond just the volume setting depending on what's driving it and better amps can let you listen softer to net the same dynamic response.

Oh, I agree. Typically when I listen to more dynamic / better designed gear I turn the volume down as well.. regardless of max power capability. Funny how we turn it up when the gear is lacking in one aspect or another, huh?

Aug 1, 2017 at 11:22 PM Post #2,580 of 5,483
A couple of days ago, my aeons arrived via fedex. I wanted to post here to thank MrSpeakers for making such an incredible product for the "under $1k" crowd during an era where they easily could have stuck a 1 in front of that 8 and gotten many sales anyway. It's really nice to know there are still companies out there that aren't just chasing after rich people.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back