AEON, MrSpeakers' New Closed Back Planar Magnetic Headphone
Aug 2, 2017 at 9:07 PM Post #2,597 of 5,483
Someone earlier asked about replacement foam inserts, yes we'll put them up on the site. I'll try to get to it this week, I'm a bit buried keeping on top of demand right now...
HI Dan,

When will you make the pads available online? While my aeon sound great, the pad on the let side is noticeably softer than the right side. It also has wrinkles in the surface and not as smooth as the one on the right side. It's just my OCD kicking in. Otherwise, the sound and seal is just fine.

Aug 2, 2017 at 11:05 PM Post #2,598 of 5,483
Someone earlier asked about replacement foam inserts, yes we'll put them up on the site. I'll try to get to it this week, I'm a bit buried keeping on top of demand right now...

That's me I guess. Thanks for listening to my demand, I'll keep looking on your site daily. :D

Aug 2, 2017 at 11:07 PM Post #2,599 of 5,483
Can anybody comment on the Opus 1 Metal driving the Aeon properly and being a good match or not? I am looking at Opus 1 Metal to pair with the Aeon specifically. If the Opus 1 Metal is not a good match I would rather buy the Opus 1 Standard and not waste the money.

Thanks friends

Riley

Hi!

I have the Opus #1 metal premium. I used this to pair with mojo to test Aeon. Wow! The soundstage is deep and wide which Aeon sounds like open headphone instead. The owner of the shop wanted me to test with Oppo ha2 se pairing initially but test my setup and was surprise by what she hears. The owner also says that it sounds like open headphone. She has not heard such good pairing with Aeon. The owner ask her staffs to try too and they were equally surprise. We test together with their ak380 and my mojo pairing and it cannot beat my Opus #1 metal premium soundstage. What a surprise to all of us too! I immediately preorder the Aeon which I did not intend to.

Opus #1 metal premium and mojo pairing is very good. Not only Aeon, I feel the pairing makes all my headphones and iems sounds good in the soundstage and layering. I had try the original but prefer the metal premium. Yes, it may seems not worth the price for small changes from original Opus but these small changes make a small difference in the sound which to me is a big difference. The metal premium sounds more clear, real and natural sounding for me without mojo. It is a under value product for me. More expensive dap does not sounds better than Opus #1 metal premium for my own opinion and testing experience. Maybe i can says it suits me more for my own taste.

The experience in the shop has assure my own setup is good which I finally can settle down with them for long time as i had been changing my setup within a year to find the best setup. Just my own opinion and experience to share.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2017 at 11:49 PM Post #2,600 of 5,483
Hi!

I have the Opus #1 metal premium. I used this to pair with mojo to test Aeon. Wow! The soundstage is deep and wide which Aeon sounds like open headphone instead. The owner of the shop wanted me to test with Oppo ha2 se pairing initially but test my setup and was surprise by what she hears. The owner also says that it sounds like open headphone. She has not heard such good pairing with Aeon. The owner ask her staffs to try too and they were equally surprise. We test together with their ak380 and my mojo pairing and it cannot beat my Opus #1 metal premium soundstage. What a surprise to all of us too! I immediately preorder the Aeon which I did not intend to.

Opus #1 metal premium and mojo pairing is very good. Not only Aeon, I feel the pairing makes all my headphones and iems sounds good in the soundstage and layering. I had try the original but prefer the metal premium. Yes, it may seems not worth the price for small changes from original Opus but these small changes make a small difference in the sound which to me is a big difference. The metal premium sounds more clear, real and natural sounding for me without mojo. It is a under value product for me. More expensive dap does not sounds better than Opus #1 metal premium for my own opinion and testing experience. Maybe i can says it suits me more for my own taste.

The experience in the shop has assure my own setup is good which I finally can settle down with them for long time as i had been changing my setup within a year to find the best setup. Just my own opinion and experience to share.

Thank you very much for confirming that the Metal is the way to go. A Mojo is something I want, but don't honestly think I will never buy due to money and it is too hard to pack around. I think I officially have my mind made up then.

Thank you

Riley

Aug 3, 2017 at 7:16 PM Post #2,601 of 5,483
Got my pair of Aeons from dealer in Canada. They have no more than 10 hours. I think I like everything. Not used to closed cans but wanted something portable, that I can use on the patio, at the cottage, outside, etc. I'm very surprised how balanced these are.... and how open they sound. Let's see where they will be at when they hit the 100 hrs mark.

I have many amps to try but for now, I'm with the FiiO X5ii/Mojo and enjoying the sound. Will give them a go with SPL Phonitor X and Woo WA22 later on. If any are interested, I will report back. One thing....I was scared that they would be bass light. Not the case but I need the foams. And they are very comfortable, the best I tried for sure. Have to say... Congrats MrSpeakers... This is my 1st product of yours and probably not the last.

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2017 at 11:17 PM Post #2,602 of 5,483
Got my pair of Aeons from dealer in Canada. They have no more than 10 hours. I think I like everything. Not used to closed cans but wanted something portable, that I can use on the patio, at the cottage, outside, etc. I'm very surprised how balanced these are.... and how open they sound. Let's see where they will be at when they hit the 100 hrs mark.

I have many amps to try but for now, I'm with the FiiO X5ii/Mojo and enjoying the sound. Will give them a go with SPL Phonitor X and Woo WA22 later on. If any are interested, I will report back. One thing....I was scared that they would be bass light. Not the case but I need the foams. And they are very comfortable, the best I tried for sure. Have to say... Congrats MrSpeakers... This is my 1st product of yours and probably not the last.

I noticed more sub bass after burn in

Aug 5, 2017 at 10:22 PM Post #2,603 of 5,483
I drove around town for about an hour and a half today while listening to my AEONs through my Onkyo DP-X1 to iBasso P5 rig. Usually I roll with IEMs or my low-profile PM-3's or Sines when driving, but I was pleasantly surprised to find that the size of the AEONs was no problem in the car and that the fit is secure enough that moving my head around required no adjustments later. I was cranking more juice through the P5 amp than with any other phone, but it kept up and that portable rig may actually sound better with the AEONs than the iFi Black Label. Time will tell. Anyway, these cans are an absolute joy for driving and one that I will come back to for that purpose in the future.

PSA: Driving while wearing headphones or IEMs is illegal in a number of states, including California. Check the laws before you give it a try. No need to make this hobby more expensive.

Aug 5, 2017 at 11:37 PM Post #2,604 of 5,483
It's illegal in a number of states because it's a pretty dangerous thing to do. We rely on audio cues to hear other cars horns and especially emergency vehicles sirens. Do us all a favor and don't isolate your hearing while you're driving please.

Aug 5, 2017 at 11:38 PM Post #2,605 of 5,483
I drove around town for about an hour and a half today while listening to my AEONs through my Onkyo DP-X1 to iBasso P5 rig. Usually I roll with IEMs or my low-profile PM-3's or Sines when driving, but I was pleasantly surprised to find that the size of the AEONs was no problem in the car and that the fit is secure enough that moving my head around required no adjustments later. I was cranking more juice through the P5 amp than with any other phone, but it kept up and that portable rig may actually sound better with the AEONs than the iFi Black Label. Time will tell. Anyway, these cans are an absolute joy for driving and one that I will come back to for that purpose in the future.

PSA: Driving while wearing headphones or IEMs is illegal in a number of states, including California. Check the laws before you give it a try. No need to make this hobby more expensive.

Illegal or not I think it's risky driving around with headphones on. Anyway, I use aeons while walking around town and feels more comfortable and stable than any on-ears or portable headphones (e.g.Sine) I tried despite how big it looks like. Paired with QP2R, this combo is as good if not very close to any desktop setup I have or tried.

Aug 5, 2017 at 11:50 PM Post #2,606 of 5,483
It's no more dangerous than listening to music through the car speakers or using a bluetooth headset, and cars are generally designed with sound isolation in mind anyway.

Aug 5, 2017 at 11:58 PM Post #2,607 of 5,483
Can't imagine how loudly you listen to music through the car speakers that it would be equivalent to the almost total isolation provided by headphones!

I would NEVER wear headphones while driving - I can hear quite well while listening to music through speakers, but can hear almost nothing when hearing headphones - there's no comparison.

Aug 6, 2017 at 12:06 AM Post #2,608 of 5,483
It's no more dangerous than listening to music through the car speakers or using a bluetooth headset, and cars are generally designed with sound isolation in mind anyway.

I disagree, while I myself listen to music on car speakers while driving, listening to headphones is different. First, with better isolation especially aeons, you are totally isolating yourself from outside noise. I agree car nowadays are built to isolate outside noise to a degree, but not at the same levels with your headphones/or iems phone.

What's important is you hear a bit of outside noise no matter how soft thy are so you can immediately recognise the sound and the direction where it is coming from. Sometimes, just the difference you need to avoid any accident.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2017 at 1:02 AM Post #2,609 of 5,483
Gents - the topic is the Mr Speakers Aeon. If you want to debate the dangers of using headphones while driving - I suggest starting a new thread in the Members Lounge.

Aug 6, 2017 at 7:17 AM Post #2,610 of 5,483
After listening for a bit I agree about the neutral presentation. It can chameleon in the sense of fitting into a ton of genres. I really like the foam inserts in it! Like someone said above I can see a tube amp or even hybrid being a really great pairing with them to add some warmth (if that's your cup of tea). For $800 and the exceptional build quality, there is a lot of bang for your buck with these...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back