AEON, MrSpeakers' New Closed Back Planar Magnetic Headphone
Aug 6, 2017 at 8:13 PM Post #2,626 of 5,483
Black Dragon V2

I have them and they are an improvement over the DUM cables. The one thing I was looking for when I purchased the cables were a more supple and flexible cable. These clearly aren't. I only have one pair of upgraded cables so I will let others comment on additional sound qualities.

I will be giving my Aeon flight review shortly.

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2017 at 7:44 AM Post #2,627 of 5,483
Dummer cable = Red is left and Black is right, opposite to my understanding.

I will post my impressions of the Aeon once I have had some time to become accustomed to them. They are a balanced headphone with very natural tuning, sound realistic with instruments sounding as they should.

Aug 7, 2017 at 8:13 AM Post #2,628 of 5,483
Dummer cable = Red is left and Black is right, opposite to my understanding.

I will post my impressions of the Aeon once I have had some time to become accustomed to them. They are a balanced headphone with very natural tuning, sound realistic with instruments sounding as they should.

On my cable, red is right, black is left, per standard.

Obviously, some sort of mixup in manufacturing - easy enough to test to make sure, but Mr. Speakers might want to follow up on production method.

Aug 7, 2017 at 8:15 AM Post #2,629 of 5,483
Having had the Aeon here for a while now I had them as probably the current best closed back release until I heard the Atticus! Just daymmm.

Aug 7, 2017 at 11:40 AM Post #2,630 of 5,483
Our cable vendor's last delivery had a percentage of cables, around 6%, where L/R were reveresed. To say this shocked me is an understatement, it's not like this is complicated to get right and our vendor has been supplying us with cables for 4 years without problems. They're now doing 100% test, if you got one of these cables drop us a note and we can swap it for you.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Aug 7, 2017 at 6:11 PM Post #2,631 of 5,483
I just tested mine and got reversed one. To think I have been using this reversed until now and I don't notice much thing (granted, I don't listen to too many binaural song where it'll be more apparent). I do feel imaging seems to be a bit weird, inaccurate or blurry, but now I know why. Thanks for sanity checking guys, my Aeon is even better now. LOL :D

@mrspeakers appreciate you guys sorting it out, but it was no issue to me - just a bit of sanity thing.

Aug 7, 2017 at 8:24 PM Post #2,632 of 5,483
Our cable vendor's last delivery had a percentage of cables, around 6%, where L/R were reveresed. To say this shocked me is an understatement, it's not like this is complicated to get right and our vendor has been supplying us with cables for 4 years without problems. They're now doing 100% test, if you got one of these cables drop us a note and we can swap it for you.
\
PM sent

Aug 8, 2017 at 5:00 AM Post #2,633 of 5,483

Thanks for the gesture Dan I appreciate your customer service, however I think postage and back from Tasmania - Australia to America for the sake of some red heat sink would be extreme. I am pretty sure I can adjust to Red left and Black right without a worry in the world. Glad you fixed the problem with your cable maker. So far my impressions of the Aeon are all positive, however I will reserve final judgement for when new toy syndrome has worn off.

Aug 8, 2017 at 3:40 PM Post #2,634 of 5,483
I currently have the Æon at home and I am in the process of writing a review. First impressions were absolutely positive. I really like the build quality and the comfort. The tuning sounds great out of the box - with Jazz and Classical. Slowly the NTS is fading and I am picking up some flaws.

Truth be told, I was expecting some more bass from a set of closed headphones. I can hear all the information, but slam, body and impact is not where I'd expect them to be - even for a neutral tuning. 2-3 dB more for 200 Hz and below works much better when shuffling more popular music.
Second, there is a noticeable dip at 2 kHz. Not a small one, either. It sucks out some realism out of the midrange, especially for electrical guitars but also some voices.

Of course, my criticism is not a big problem. There is no perfect headphone and especially thanks to the formidable treble, the overall package is impressive. I currently rate them slightly better than the PM3 although either have their strengths: PM3 for Pop/Rock/Vocals and Æeon for Jazz/Classical.

If there will be a Mk2 or Mk3 that addresses these two points, I will be sold!

Aug 8, 2017 at 6:01 PM Post #2,636 of 5,483
They sound and feel pretty damn complete to me...

Aug 8, 2017 at 6:06 PM Post #2,637 of 5,483
I'm sure there will be a MKII. Mrspeakers are notorious for releasing incomplete headphones.
This is a notoriety that I have never understood. It's genuinely difficult to keep track of how many revisions of the Audeze LCD2 there are. Hifiman had to release a v2 of both the HE1K and the HEX. Etc.

Aug 8, 2017 at 6:12 PM Post #2,638 of 5,483
Audeze + Mrspeakers have been the worst IMO.

LCD-2's have had 5 revisions
Mrspeakers has numerous revisions too and constant upgrade kits plus the fact that Dan releases a headphone lile every 6 months...Hifiman also have this trend.

This is why Zach from ZMF get' s so much respect, no tune up kits or constant revisions; just good, value headphones.

The Aeon is probably the best, Mrspeakers headphone so far but the issue I see is there will most probably be an improved model out within months going by consistent past behavior.

Aug 8, 2017 at 7:00 PM Post #2,639 of 5,483
It goes both ways- could be a positive thing that he listen to his customers and adjust the tuning accordingly. Although I have to say in this case, the thread is 90% positive. I am probably one of the few that agree with your sound impressions,for example I prefer the bass of the hifiman x v2 and even my Sines have more slam in my opinion. Like you said no headphone is perfect, for me I am at a stage where slam and impact is more important than let's say perfect Mids or treble but is all a matter of choice. I guess I am a bass head at heart

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2017 at 7:01 PM Post #2,640 of 5,483
I have yet to receive any headphones from MrSpeakers with parts missing. Do you get mad at Chevy, Ford, Chrysler, Honda, Toyota, Nissan, etc for releasing new car models every 8-12 months?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back