AEON, MrSpeakers' New Closed Back Planar Magnetic Headphone
Jul 4, 2017 at 10:42 PM Post #2,236 of 5,483
As I get the opportunity to try Aeon on more amps, I am getting a better sense of how appreciably Aeon responds to amping. It's quite a bit more change than I originally surmised. I haven't come up with a list of favorite amps for Aeon just yet, but I'm getting closer.

Jul 5, 2017 at 12:50 AM Post #2,239 of 5,483
My perspective on the Aeons may be a bit unusual due to my circumstances. I bought the units as a replacement for my aging Sony MDR-CD3000s, another highly-regarded closed-back set of cans which I purchased new back in 2000 or thereabouts for 400$. Therefore, that is my benchmark for "acceptable", and all I can do is compare the Aeons to my old cans.

Setup: PC using FLAC through Sansui 9090

TLDR: The Aeons are a suitable replacement that come extremely close in most listening situations to the MDRCD3ks.

The way I see it, there's three main areas of significant difference between the Aeons and the CD3ks:
1. Soundstage
2. Bass
3. High frequency response
4. Comfort

1. Soundstage:
The Aeons have an excellent soundstage, with good angular differentiation both laterally and longitudinally. However, compared to the CD3ks, the soundstage feel 'smaller'. The CD3ks can feel like an open concert venue, but the Aeons sound more like a small venue for the same tracks. As far as I can tell, it seems to be tied to the extra high-frequency output from the CD3Ks, which make the whole thing sound more 'open'.

2. Bass
The Aeons have significantly more bass than the CD3ks in my setup, with all EQ settings being equal. However, it isn't overpowering and doesn't muddle other details, something I noticed on the Sony MDR-Z7s.

3. High-frequency response
As alluded to in the Soundstage section, the CD3ks seem to have more upper range detail. As I understand it they are considered 'treble cannons' so perhaps that's the manifestation of that. The Aeons still have good detail across the range, but I don't hear *everything* I could with the CD3ks with the same tracks, particularly with voices.

4. Comfort
The CD3ks and Aeons take drastically different approaches to comfort. The CD3ks used a spring-loaded suspension strap and minimal clamp, which meant they were very comfortable for long periods. Additionally, the earcup interiors were angled to the users ears, so they had a lot of room inside the cups. The Aeons use a friction-locked strap with what feels like a lot of clamp in comparison. I imagine this is partially to fully seat the pads on the head and reduce leakage, but it has required some adjusting on my part. Both cans are quite comfortable, but feel different at the same time.

Overall, I'm happy with the Aeons, but I am slightly dissapointed in that I had hoped they would blow the CD3ks out of the water, rather than being 'just' as good. I know that is an awfully high bar, but again, I can only compare it to what I know. I was really hoping 20+ years of technology would have allowed for significant audio improvements, but no such luck it seems. None of that is MrSpeaker's fault at all, and it is very impressive that a comparatively small group was able to match something made by a keiretsu behemoth in its prime.

Jul 5, 2017 at 3:24 AM Post #2,240 of 5,483
Hi All,
I need advise, after reading Tyll and Aornic reviews is it worth upgrading from Ether C Flow? I like ECF a lot but on some genres miss a deep puncy bass an sometime find Treble bit on bright side could be an issue with track or recording but oftern I found treble a bit on brighter side. Is Aeon can fix these two issues? I am using LHLabs Xfi and Mojo or alternatively should look into DAC/AMP upgrade and have been looking at Questyle CM600i.

Thanks.

Jul 5, 2017 at 7:04 AM Post #2,241 of 5,483
My perspective on the Aeons may be a bit unusual due to my circumstances. I bought the units as a replacement for my aging Sony MDR-CD3000s, another highly-regarded closed-back set of cans which I purchased new back in 2000 or thereabouts for 400$. Therefore, that is my benchmark for "acceptable", and all I can do is compare the Aeons to my old cans.

Setup: PC using FLAC through Sansui 9090

TLDR: The Aeons are a suitable replacement that come extremely close in most listening situations to the MDRCD3ks.

Wow, now there's an interesting comparison that you wouldn't expect. I owned the cd3k a while back and would mostly agree with your comparison. That fact that you find the Aeon "as good" is what I'd call a pretty nice complement. The cd3k is one of Sony's best efforts and really not that far off from the r10, especially if the cd3k is recabled. The cup size, with about 2.5x the volume of the Aeon, would have to play a part in the improved sound staging. And also the extra treble in the Sony that you mention. Plus the fact that the Sony is selling at the same price point or more than the Aeon puts some perspective on the comparison.

Thanks for sharing!

Jul 5, 2017 at 10:47 AM Post #2,243 of 5,483
My perspective on the Aeons may be a bit unusual due to my circumstances. I bought the units as a replacement for my aging Sony MDR-CD3000s, another highly-regarded closed-back set of cans which I purchased new back in 2000 or thereabouts for 400$.

A very familiar story :wink:

compared to the CD3ks, the soundstage feel 'smaller'. The CD3ks can feel like an open concert venue, but the Aeons sound more like a small venue for the same tracks. As far as I can tell, it seems to be tied to the extra high-frequency output from the CD3Ks, which make the whole thing sound more 'open'.

That's not good, well, not to my preferences at least. The CD3K are indeed super airy for closed cans, so I'd expect the Aeon to be able to surpass that. The sense of space from the CD3000 isn't just due to the grain and brightness, although that helps a bit for sure.
Soundstage is very improtant for me, so, that comment made me a bit worried about getting an Aegon without listening first.

The Aeons have significantly more bass than the CD3ks in my setup, with all EQ settings being equal. However, it isn't overpowering and doesn't muddle other details, something I noticed on the Sony MDR-Z7s.

To be fair, it's very easy to match the bass of the CD3000, especially after all these time when some drivers have already decayed and can even reveal some distortion in sub-bass.
Have you tried the Z1R? It's a different beast from the Z7, despite a few similarities.

As alluded to in the Soundstage section, the CD3ks seem to have more upper range detail. As I understand it they are considered 'treble cannons' so perhaps that's the manifestation of that. The Aeons still have good detail across the range, but I don't hear *everything* I could with the CD3ks with the same tracks, particularly with voices.

Treble cannons indeed, but still not the most revealing you can get these days. If the Aegon don't match the CD3K at that, I imagine what a comparison with an HD800 would show.

4. Comfort
The CD3ks and Aeons take drastically different approaches to comfort. The CD3ks used a spring-loaded suspension strap and minimal clamp, which meant they were very comfortable for long periods. Additionally, the earcup interiors were angled to the users ears, so they had a lot of room inside the cups. The Aeons use a friction-locked strap with what feels like a lot of clamp in comparison. I imagine this is partially to fully seat the pads on the head and reduce leakage, but it has required some adjusting on my part. Both cans are quite comfortable, but feel different at the same time.

Won't comment on this one to avoid repeating myself, but I think I've found the 10/10 headphone in terms of comfort. It will be difficult to surpass it. If the Aegon matches the CD3000, then it's not too bad.

Overall, I'm happy with the Aeons, but I am slightly dissapointed in that I had hoped they would blow the CD3ks out of the water, rather than being 'just' as good. I know that is an awfully high bar, but again, I can only compare it to what I know. I was really hoping 20+ years of technology would have allowed for significant audio improvements, but no such luck it seems. None of that is MrSpeaker's fault at all, and it is very impressive that a comparatively small group was able to match something made by a keiretsu behemoth in its prime.

Matching the CD3000 isn't easy, even these days. They're flawed but really good in some ways, and definitely a headphone that one can own for a couple of decades, getting a very impactful impression from it.
I have replaced mine with some sort of hybrid, the HD800+Z1R.

Jul 5, 2017 at 11:27 AM Post #2,244 of 5,483
Just curious, I'm not questioning your impression. What tubes and/or upgrades are on the WA6 if any? I definitely share your opinion on the Liquid Carbon.

I have the standard driver tubes and the Sophia Princess rectifier - mostly because it looks really cool. I tried the 7N7 driver tubes but I found them a bit too bright for my taste and I went back to the standard tubes.

Jul 5, 2017 at 8:04 PM Post #2,247 of 5,483
@mrspeakers I see they are sold out on Amazon US... will you be replenishing the Amazon stock frequently? I have some Amazon credit so I intend on purchasing there. Thanks

Stock dropped from 8 to 5 right in front of my eyes before placed my order.

Jul 5, 2017 at 8:31 PM Post #2,248 of 5,483
Yes, our Amazon store sold out but we'll put more stock up there! There will be ~2-3 day lead time on Amazon and direct orders as we're also stocking our distribution channel to get product to Japan, Singapore, China and Australia (next).

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Jul 5, 2017 at 9:37 PM Post #2,249 of 5,483
I really enjoy the Aeons but I bought them as a daily (travel) pair of headphones and for me; they are too big for daily use. Is anyone commuting with these?

I am. The only inconvenience (and it's because of me) is due to the fact that I have the Aeon in the case when I travel, so when I put it back in after a session I have to disconnect the cables. Other than that hassle, the Aeon's size is perfect for my bag (I travel with it everyday).

Jul 5, 2017 at 10:18 PM Post #2,250 of 5,483
Wow, now there's an interesting comparison that you wouldn't expect. I owned the cd3k a while back and would mostly agree with your comparison. That fact that you find the Aeon "as good" is what I'd call a pretty nice complement. The cd3k is one of Sony's best efforts and really not that far off from the r10, especially if the cd3k is recabled. The cup size, with about 2.5x the volume of the Aeon, would have to play a part in the improved sound staging. And also the extra treble in the Sony that you mention. Plus the fact that the Sony is selling at the same price point or more than the Aeon puts some perspective on the comparison.

Thanks for sharing!

Glad I'm not completely off-base then, I was worried I was putting the CD3ks on a pedestal of sorts. I've been burned by other cans over the years figuring they would be as good or better than the CD3ks and nothing I've been able to afford has come close. It was getting to the point I was wondering if I was acoustically spoiled by the Sonys, and I was doomed to blow major money to get merely comparable sound, not better. Given my purchase price, I tried Momentums, MDR-Z7s, HD650s, and Fostex 610s. Each set left me wanting, so I was left with 2 cases: all other headphones kinda sucked and I lucked out by picking the best set possible by happenstance at the time, or I was being too picky. The Aeons, while 2X as expensive, are *almost* as good to me. They are substantially better in terms of bass response, but a little worse in all other areas.

Speaking of recabling, any suggestions? Mine are still working so I'd like to get them squared away for the future.

That's not good, well, not to my preferences at least. The CD3K are indeed super airy for closed cans, so I'd expect the Aeon to be able to surpass that. The sense of space from the CD3000 isn't just due to the grain and brightness, although that helps a bit for sure.
Soundstage is very improtant for me, so, that comment made me a bit worried about getting an Aegon without listening first.

The Aeon's soundstage isn't as expansive, for whatever reason. That said, it is better than just about any other closed can I've tried. Worlds better than the Z7. I will say that Z7 was wonderfully overbuilt and crafted, while being superbly comfortable. I can only guess the Z1R is as or more comfortable, but I'm not made of money. Between the Aeons and recapping the Sansui 9090, I've blown my personal hobby budget for a while. I'd still like to try a set but nobody in the greater Detroit area sells them, so I can't try them. The only reason I was able to try the Z7s was because I managed to convince my work to buy 2 pairs for 'NVH analysis and reproduction'.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back