AEON, MrSpeakers' New Closed Back Planar Magnetic Headphone
Jun 11, 2017 at 8:52 PM Post #1,922 of 5,483
Dan, perhaps in a future edition with a more bass friendly offering (AEON B perhaps?) with more low mids where it dips and a touch less high mids, you could get that through its mechanical tuning vs. inserts, to allow the ear space? Perhaps some adjustable porting, so one can get more or less in steps?

Jun 11, 2017 at 9:34 PM Post #1,924 of 5,483
The Aeon has been out for like 2 weeks....let Dan at least enjoy the launch period of a new product that seems to be getting a great reception so far. Not saying you can't post criticisms but it's weird to be acting like some focus group at this point.

Jun 11, 2017 at 10:01 PM Post #1,925 of 5,483
I have about 150 hours on mine now. I was doing some, let's say, casual listening for a couple of hours today. I was not trying to pick the sound apart or detect the smallest of details, nor was I comparing them to anything. I have to say that I am favorably impressed with what I am hearing. I suppose that when I do get to the critical listening phase I might detect some of the "problems" that people are mentioning. But so far I have not. I am hearing a nice balanced sound with good bass (even with double bass that reveals the lower midrange) Neutral midrange and enough sparkle in chimes and cymbals to make me happy.
More when I have time to do some picking apart. For now, I am quite happy that I made the purchase. Would I say they are "perfect", perhaps not, but I have yet to hear anything that I feel is. I also have yet to come across any headphone that does not have something about them that us Critics will not criticize.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2017 at 10:46 PM Post #1,926 of 5,483
More whan I have time to do some picking apart. For now, I am quite happy that I made the purchase. Would I say they are "perfect", perhaps not, but I have yet to hear anything that I feel is. I also have yet to come across any headphone that does not have something about them that us Critics will not criticize.

Ive noticed in the past, new products got great reviews while ignoring the flaws. Then weeks later, once the item is in circulation, its picked apart by the public. Recently, it happening much faster. I people ar quick to tear it up these days almost as over-compensation. Its really a shame

Jun 12, 2017 at 2:12 AM Post #1,927 of 5,483
I have about 150 hours on mine now. I was doing some, let's say, casual listening for a couple of hours today. I was not trying to pick the sound apart or detect the smallest of details, nor was I comparing them to anything. I have to say that I am favorably impressed with what I am hearing. I suppose that when I do get to the critical listening phase I might detect some of the "problems" that people are mentioning. But so far I have not. I am hearing a nice balanced sound with good bass (even with double bass that reveals the lower midrange) Neutral midrange and enough sparkle in chimes and cymbals to make me happy.
More whan I have time to do some picking apart. For now, I am quite happy that I made the purchase. Would I say they are "perfect", perhaps not, but I have yet to hear anything that I feel is. I also have yet to come across any headphone that does not have something about them that us Critics will not criticize.

What source / amp are you using ?

Jun 12, 2017 at 8:24 AM Post #1,930 of 5,483
What source / amp are you using ?
When listening this time around I had Foobar on a Lenovo laptop into a Pulse Infinity then to my Liquid Carbon.
Mix of 44/16 24/96 and 24/192 files. I listened to a bunch of female vocals and some Quartet and quintet pieces with upright bass.
I think both give a good idea of response in the lower midrange. Nothing there made me cringe at all.

As often happens, a reviewer will make comments early on, especially negative comments, then the same aspect becomes a widely criticized aspect.
Certainly this can be some people hearing the same thing, but I can't help but think that in other cases it becomes simple parroting of something that has been read.
Expectation bias works in all areas, not just things like cables. This is why I typically avoid reading reviews as much as possible before listening for myself.

Jun 12, 2017 at 8:26 AM Post #1,931 of 5,483
red cable is to right side right? can't find it anywhere
Look at the headband... it is marked for right and left.
Hopefully you are not saying that you can't find the cable with red on the connector.. yes? That is what you post almost made it sound like.

Jun 12, 2017 at 9:46 AM Post #1,932 of 5,483
Dan, perhaps in a future edition with a more bass friendly offering (AEON B perhaps?) with more low mids where it dips and a touch less high mids, you could get that through its mechanical tuning vs. inserts, to allow the ear space? Perhaps some adjustable porting, so one can get more or less in steps?
I have been enjoying the AEON for a few weeks now, and overall, I am very impressed with them. The term "does no harm" would apply in general. No sharp treble peaks, no boom in the bottom, no V-shape suckout. Space and imaging are amazing. Comfort is A+.

If I were able to wave a magic wand, I would bestow upon them a bit more lower midrange, which would absorb a very slight tendency toward brightness. I only say this because I find the AEON a little lean in that area, which can give the impression of a lack of "soul" in the music, and make everything a bit too "technical". But again, this is so minor that I'm sure some damping or padding adjustment might do the trick. It is possible that over time the pads will soften, bringing the drivers closer to the ears, which usually brings more lower mid and less top.

Jun 12, 2017 at 10:01 AM Post #1,933 of 5,483
I have been enjoying the AEON for a few weeks now, and overall, I am very impressed with them.
I totally respect your view on that. For the short time I tried them at CanJam NYC 2017 I was impressed. I only wanted to put that idea out there for a different version. This version could remain, or this be updated to one with the same sound at its default setting, with two other settings for extra bass / low mids, and less brightness with that too. Really just brainstorming. I know the hard work that goes into this and Dan's work is clearly a cut above a lot that is out there. I respect his process and his quality products.

Jun 12, 2017 at 10:57 AM Post #1,934 of 5,483
I totally respect your view on that. For the short time I tried them at CanJam NYC 2017 I was impressed. I only wanted to put that idea out there for a different version. This version could remain, or this be updated to one with the same sound at its default setting, with two other settings for extra bass / low mids, and less brightness with that too. Really just brainstorming. I know the hard work that goes into this and Dan's work is clearly a cut above a lot that is out there. I respect his process and his quality products.
No doubt. This is my 4th headphone of Dan's. I find it fitting that the company is called MrSpeakers in that, to my ears, his headphones sound like fine, evenly-balanced loudspeakers. I was also considering that in headphone design, there is a lot of give and take, and you have to make certain choices. All things considered, MrSpeakers seems to make the right ones. I was realizing that if he were to "fill in" the lower mid on the AEON, that wonderful bass would be affected and I might not want that..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back