AEON, MrSpeakers' New Closed Back Planar Magnetic Headphone
Jun 12, 2017 at 11:15 AM Post #1,937 of 5,483
Based on some measurements I saw (on this thread, I believe), I created a baseline EQ and have fine-tuned it over the past few days. This sounds pretty good to me now, but I usually gradually tweak over time - typically, reducing the gain and / or tweaking the frequency in either direction.

Thanks, gotta love Roon.

Jun 12, 2017 at 11:33 AM Post #1,938 of 5,483
my Aeons survived their long journey from San Diego to San Diego, lol. Unfortunately I had a migraine for much of the weekend, so I only tried them for a few minutes so far. I enjoy the comfortable fit and the nice clear sound signature. These will be keepers for sure.

Jun 12, 2017 at 11:40 AM Post #1,939 of 5,483
If I need a pair of Æon by July 28th what is the last day I can order?

Jun 12, 2017 at 12:08 PM Post #1,940 of 5,483
my Aeons survived their long journey from San Diego to San Diego, lol. Unfortunately I had a migraine for much of the weekend, so I only tried them for a few minutes so far. I enjoy the comfortable fit and the nice clear sound signature. These will be keepers for sure.
I can definitely empathize! I get migraines as well. Puts a real damper on listening...

Cheers and Feel Better!:beerchug:
-HK sends

Jun 12, 2017 at 1:41 PM Post #1,941 of 5,483
Is it possible to buy replacement pads for the Aeons? I can't seem to find them on the MrSpeakers website.

Not yet, but it will be. I'm a bit curious as to why you ask, did you remove and damage them?

Also, about half the foam inserts went out Friday and the balance go out today. Look forward to impressions.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Jun 12, 2017 at 1:43 PM Post #1,942 of 5,483
If I need a pair of Æon by July 28th what is the last day I can order?

Demand varies, so it's a bit hard to forecast. At this time our volumes and yields are pretty high so we should be in stock by then but watch our site for status, and remember that if we a vendor misses a delivery date we can end up with sudden backlogs.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Jun 12, 2017 at 3:03 PM Post #1,943 of 5,483
Not yet, but it will be. I'm a bit curious as to why you ask, did you remove and damage them?

Also, about half the foam inserts went out Friday and the balance go out today. Look forward to impressions.
Are the pads actually removable? I don't want to attempt and regret.

Jun 12, 2017 at 3:42 PM Post #1,944 of 5,483
Are the pads actually removable? I don't want to attempt and regret.

They're removable in the same way LCD series pads are removable. You can remove and replace them, but the act of removing them will destroy them so they have to be replaced with new ones.

Jun 12, 2017 at 4:59 PM Post #1,946 of 5,483
They're removable in the same way LCD series pads are removable. You can remove and replace them, but the act of removing them will destroy them so they have to be replaced with new ones.
I will interpret that as "non-removable" :floatsmile:

Jun 12, 2017 at 6:56 PM Post #1,947 of 5,483
I spent most of yesterday listening to the Aeon after receiving them the night before, and thought I'll send through some of my initial comments:

In terms of build and comfort, all I can say is that it's just perfect. I love the unique look and feel, it is super comfortable, and isolates shockingly well. When I first connected it I thought I wasn't getting any sound, only to realise that because the pads were resting against each other, no sound appeared to leak

Sound-wise: I did all my listening through a Corda Classic, fed by a Bifrost Multibit. The first thing that became apparent as I started listening was that these cans are detailed in the treble and mids. Really, really impressive amount of details. It emphasised some micro-details in recordings, such as the hum of a resting amplifier, the echo of a singer's voice in a recording studio, or talking in the background in a studio. These cans seem to bring to light more details than any other headphone I have, including my personal favourite modded HE-500, the Oppo cans, and definitely the HD-650. While I don't have it on hand to properly compare, the last time I heard so much micro-details was when I had a review unit of the HD-800S on loan. This was a big surprise.

The details seemed to mostly be in the mids and highs though, because in the first couple of hours the bass seem to be non-present - I was getting very little detail and quantity in the bass department. I tried the foam inserts, and while they increased the quantity a bit, the details were still not there, and in the bass the Aeon was no match to the other headphones I mentioned. However, this have noticeably changed after 2-3 hours of use, and all of a sudden bass details started becoming clear. I am still on the fence about the foam inserts as they only seem to slighly increase the bass body while possibly slightly veiling mids/highs details, however I have a feeling that the sound may still open up further after some more hours, so I will do another comparison with & without the foam inserts then.

Also, in the next couple of days I should be getting the Auralic Taurus MKii, and based on specs I expect its SE output to be a good match with the Aeon (low impedance, high current). In about a week I will do a more proper review and comparison with HE-500, Oppo PM-1 and PM-3. Until then, happy listenings! I know I am.

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2017 at 7:14 PM Post #1,948 of 5,483
Per request, here's a measurement before and after for the foam inserts, orange is obviously with foam. Measurements on GRAS 45CA, no compression on the headphone to improve seal, with Diffuse Field compensation, no smoothing. Details to note:

1) It adds about 2-3 dB in the upper bass/lower mid transition
2) Highs above 5K are reduced by about 1-2 dB
3) a minor reduction in output from 1-2K, which I think smooths the mids a bit

Thanks again to everyone who has shared their impressions, your feedback is always appreciated, the pros and the cons.

AEON w and w:o foam.png

Jun 12, 2017 at 7:40 PM Post #1,949 of 5,483
Per request, here's a measurement before and after for the foam inserts, orange is obviously with foam. Measurements on GRAS 45CA, no compression on the headphone to improve seal, with Diffuse Field compensation, no smoothing.

Thanks! Although, would it be possible to post the raw measurements?

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2017 at 8:08 PM Post #1,950 of 5,483
Thanks! Although, would it be possible to post the raw measurements?

Not really, I have to change the settings on the fixture and re-measure. We use DF comp as that's what Innerfidelity uses, we try to be apples/apples insofar as you can actually do that on different fixtures.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back