AEON, MrSpeakers' New Closed Back Planar Magnetic Headphone
Jun 8, 2017 at 11:36 PM Post #1,876 of 5,483
I find that the upper mids and treble have naturally tamed after a week of listening.

These cans have the nicest treble I have ever heard. I am looking forward to receiving the inserts for some extra low end oomph

Jun 9, 2017 at 7:16 AM Post #1,877 of 5,483
Asking those who have eq'd their Aeon's to their liking, please post your eq levels here..

Jun 9, 2017 at 8:10 AM Post #1,879 of 5,483
Guys, what am I doing wrong?
It's strange but the Aeons don't pull me into the music as the Audio Technica M50's do. The resolution for sure is better on the Aeons, but they simply don't shine as much. They sound a little bit more recessed. Also the sparkle of the guitars has gone. I have the impressions that the tone of the instruments is clear but it all sounds further away, or just like "the musicians don't hammer as strong on the strings" as they do on the M50's or on the Westone W30 IEM's. I'm not saying that the M50 or W30 are better, they just have something that I am suddenly missing on the Aeons.
I am currently using a DacMagic Plus that is connected via USB to my PC. The Aeon's have been running for like 50 hours now...

Could it be that Dacmagic amp section is lacking in "juice"?
https://www.cambridgeaudio.com/products/hifi-and-home-cinema/dacmagic-plus

Any help or advise would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Jun 9, 2017 at 8:27 AM Post #1,880 of 5,483
It's strange but the Aeons don't pull me into the music as the Audio Technica M50's do. The resolution for sure is better on the Aeons, but they simply don't shine as much. They sound a little bit more recessed. Also the sparkle of the guitars has gone. I have the impressions that the tone of the instruments is clear but it all sounds further away, or just like "the musicians don't hammer as strong on the strings" as they do on the M50's or on the Westone W30 IEM's. I'm not saying that the M50 or W30 are better, they just have something that I am suddenly missing on the Aeons.
I am currently using a DacMagic Plus that is connected via USB to my PC. The Aeon's have been running for like 50 hours now...

Thanks!

I don't own the DacMagic but the Aeon is pretty easy to drive. The likely solution is that you may have a personal preference towards the sound of the m50. But give the Aeon some time, let it play for a while and then come back to it. You never know.

Jun 9, 2017 at 8:32 AM Post #1,881 of 5,483

Thanks!

Spec shows
  • Recommend headphone impedance 32 Ohm to 600 Ohm.

Jun 9, 2017 at 9:32 AM Post #1,882 of 5,483
IMG_2932.PNG
Asking those who have eq'd their Aeon's to their liking, please post your eq levels here..

I have been using Senheisser CapTune app in my iPhone 7 plus since it is the only app I can find that allows you to place eq when streaming Tidal (the fact that it is free isn't so bad either). Unfortunately on the bar display for adjust meant at specific frequencies, there aren't hash marks on the vertical axis, but here's a screenshot of what my eq looks like. I think it sounds great like this.

Jun 9, 2017 at 10:18 AM Post #1,884 of 5,483
It really is a matter of preference and hearing physiology. I have sensitive ears to highs and high mids so I have found the ATH-M50 / ATH-M50x and also most in-ears far too bright. When I very tested the pre-release AEON at Can Jam NYC 2017 I heard no lack of clarity or sparkle, it just wasn't boosted or hyped up the way the ATH-M50x can be.

Jun 9, 2017 at 11:50 AM Post #1,887 of 5,483

Have you ever owned/listened to a good pair of open-back headphones before? I don't want to assume, but it sounds like you haven't.
The downside of most closed-back headphones and IEMs is that the music is a lot more “in your head” sounding likely due to sound reflections bouncing around the inside of the earcup/housing. As an example many note that m50s have a really narrow/small soundstage.
Generally open-backs sound much more spacious.
Not saying that the AEONs are open-back 'cause they're not, but it seem its housing/design/damping is able to make it sound more like an open-back when compared to a typical closed headphone, and that might be the reason you feel
"it all sounds further away".

Last edited by a moderator:
Jun 9, 2017 at 11:55 AM Post #1,888 of 5,483
The M50 is probably just "louder" with your DAC/Amp, which creates the impression of being more lively. Sort of like how most modern music recordings are brick-walled and everything is kicked up a notch, at the expense of revealing dynamics and nuance in the music (the infamous "loudness wars").

Jun 9, 2017 at 12:01 PM Post #1,889 of 5,483
Have you ever owned/listened to a good pair of open-back headphones before? I don't want to assume, but it sounds like you haven't.
The downside of most closed-back headphones and IEMs is that the music is a lot more “in your head” sounding likely due to sound reflections bouncing around the inside of the earcup/housing.
Generally open-backs sound much more spacious.
Not saying that the AEONs are open-back 'cause they're not, but it seem its housing/design/damping is able to make it sound more like an open-back when compared to a typical closed headphone, and that might be the reason you feel
"it all sounds further away".

Yes you're right. I've only listened to the Grado SR325 and the RS1 for like 1-2 hours. I can't use open-back headphones at home cause I have a yakin' woman who sittin' just next to me... :)

I have to crank up the volume to really get the guitars to shine. Will just give the headphones another 2-3 weeks until I will re-evaluate the Aeons and maybe try them with a Mjolnir 2...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back