AEON, MrSpeakers' New Closed Back Planar Magnetic Headphone
Apr 9, 2017 at 2:22 PM Post #886 of 5,483
Yes, I agree with you guys. Sounds reasonable.
Thanks!

I live in tiny Luxembourg, central Europe and I did not hear of any head-fi meet over here until now.
I don't find any stores near me that offer a huge variety of headphones. Grado, Sennheiser, Beyerdynamic and that's it. Of course you also have makes like B&W, Sony, Philips etc. But meh... Don't like em.

Will have to plan longer trips to hifi-meets in the future :wink:

Thanks again guys. This was a good advise from you! :)

Apr 9, 2017 at 2:28 PM Post #887 of 5,483
Thanks!

I live in tiny Luxembourg, central Europe and I did not hear of any head-fi meet over here until now.
I don't find any stores near me that offer a huge variety of headphones. Grado, Sennheiser, Beyerdynamic and that's it. Of course you also have makes like B&W, Sony, Philips etc. But meh... Don't like em.

You have the distributor near in netherland

Apr 9, 2017 at 3:24 PM Post #888 of 5,483
Thanks!

Tell you what, if you can't attend CanJam London in July, know that you can PM if you're willing to drive NW to meet me around Brussels. I got the Aeon pre-ordered. So you can try it out before commiting
wink_face.gif

Apr 9, 2017 at 3:58 PM Post #889 of 5,483
Ordered.Waiting for april 30...

I have mojo for my office setup and hoping it will be enough to drive AEON. In other case i will call for schiit lyr as a reinforcement.

I will review AEON after 2 weeks how it sound with lyr and without directly from mojo.

Cant wait.

Apr 9, 2017 at 4:29 PM Post #890 of 5,483
  Tell you what, if you can't attend CanJam London in July, know that you can PM if you're willing to drive NW to meet me around Brussels. I got the Aeon pre-ordered. So you can try it out before commiting
wink_face.gif

Merci Cagin,

C'est très gentil de ta part.

I'll think about. I might just fly over to London in the morning and come back in the evening. :)

Thanks again!

Apr 9, 2017 at 5:01 PM Post #891 of 5,483
Ordered.Waiting for april 30...

I have mojo for my office setup and hoping it will be enough to drive AEON. In other case i will call for schiit lyr as a reinforcement.

I will review AEON after 2 weeks how it sound with lyr and without directly from mojo.

Cant wait.

Mojo ample to drive Aeon, used Hugo (similar driving power, I use both) last week to test Ethers and Aeon and no problem at all.

Apr 9, 2017 at 5:12 PM Post #892 of 5,483
Mojo ample to drive Aeon, used Hugo (similar driving power, I use both) last week to test Ethers and Aeon and no problem at all.

i´m looking to an alternative headphone and aeon is in the first place due to comfort, price and specifications.
my dac/amp is an hugo. i found that hugo is slightly better in terms of output power compared to mojo.
so you considere that hugo/aeon returns good sound signature? big difference with ethers?
thank you

Apr 9, 2017 at 5:30 PM Post #893 of 5,483
i´m looking to an alternative headphone and aeon is in the first place due to comfort, price and specifications.
my dac/amp is an hugo. i found that hugo is slightly better in terms of output power compared to mojo.
so you considere that hugo/aeon returns good sound signature? big difference with ethers?
thank you

A little warmer than Ethers but very comfortable. Would have pre-ordered Aeons had I not been given a good price on a demo pair of Ether C's which I slightly preferred.

Apr 9, 2017 at 5:46 PM Post #894 of 5,483

I have Sony Z7. I sow many reviews that mojo is more than enough to drive them. It is not enough to my ears. The soundstage is bigger, the bass is deeper, overall musical presentation is more pleasant when Lyr takes it place after the Mojo. It is the little degradation of sound about 10% of details are lost. Is is hard to choose, but with Sony Z7 i choose additional amplification. 

Apr 10, 2017 at 4:19 AM Post #897 of 5,483
Unfortunately there were no Aeons in Hong Kong
triportsad.gif
 I did however listen to Ether C and C Flow along with Audioquest's Nightowl.  All were very comfortable but none are anywhere near being portable...
triportsad.gif
another downer as I was really hoping for a possible replacement of my H6s   Both Ethers were extraordinary sound wise falling somewhere around the Audeze LCD-XC... slightly better than the Senn HD800 or Beyer T1.  I must be deaf as a spider as I couldn't discern any difference between the Ether C and C Flow models
confused_face(1).gif

I also demoed Audioquest's DragonFlys with my H6s and I was extremely impressed... surprisingly so.  Very powerful and quiet amps in such a small package. To my ears there wasn't a huge difference between the Red and Black using my H6s.  I ended up buying the Black with the Jitterbug and not the Red model as I preferred the Black DragonFly's slightly darker/softer (more mellow?) sound signature and lower volume control... it was much easier to fine tune and adjust to a lower volume than on the Red which was much, much louder due to its higher amp output.  So I saved myself some money choosing the black variant over the red one as I hadn't quite realized there was a dramatic price difference between the two!  :)

I listened to another Audeze Deckard and my H6s sounded as great as before though when comparing with the DragonFlys I honestly couldn't pinpoint any major improvement with the Deckard so I am definitely pleased with that revelation.  I guess my H6s only needed a little bit more juice to deepen (tighten up) the bass and expand/broaden the sound stage and timbre... anything beyond the DragonFly Black level may be simply overkill with the H6s.

All in all I now have a perfect home and portable headphone dac/amp solution! 

Apr 10, 2017 at 4:28 AM Post #898 of 5,483
Couldn't resist more. Preorder paid.

I'm still little worried about the bass issue because I'd like some meat around the bones, but maybe the right amping would correct that. If there is anything to correct.

Apr 10, 2017 at 11:13 AM Post #899 of 5,483
Sigh...Thought I was set to buy these. Now not certain.  I spend over 4 hours on buses/trains each day commuting, it's brutal.  Looking for a PORTABLE, COMFORTABLE, GREAT sounding can for primarily interfacing with mere phone and Dragonfly Red, as that is the environment I'm dealing with.  

That said, I recently tried the AQ Night Owl, loved the comfort and warm sound with the Red, a lot in fact.  But it most certainly is not portable whatsoever, ugh.  I also tried the Audeze Sine, it is definitely portable but is such inferior sound in all ways, blehh, it was sort of embarrassing.  I'm currently being lent a set of PSB M4U-1 now which I do think do sound quite amazing for what they are, but they have too much clamping pressure and look horrible to boot.  I know the latter comment is a bit lame, but true.

Soooo, I felt all the happy medium might alas be the MRSPEAKERS AEON, as they appeared to meet my potential criteria, but now I fear they will NOT be truly portable either.

Perhaps what I am looking for simply does not exist?  Or if so, for my own edification, will someone....anyhow give me some guidance to end my miserable search of commuting audio bliss?

Apr 10, 2017 at 11:24 AM Post #900 of 5,483
  Unfortunately there were no Aeons in Hong Kong
triportsad.gif
 I did however listen to Ether C and C Flow along with Audioquest's Nightowl.  All were very comfortable but none are anywhere near being portable...
triportsad.gif
another downer as I was really hoping for a possible replacement of my H6s   Both Ethers were extraordinary sound wise falling somewhere around the Audeze LCD-XC... slightly better than the Senn HD800 or Beyer T1.  I must be deaf as a spider as I couldn't discern any difference between the Ether C and C Flow models
confused_face(1).gif

I also demoed Audioquest's DragonFlys with my H6s and I was extremely impressed... surprisingly so.  Very powerful and quiet amps in such a small package. To my ears there wasn't a huge difference between the Red and Black using my H6s.  I ended up buying the Black with the Jitterbug and not the Red model as I preferred the Black DragonFly's slightly darker/softer (more mellow?) sound signature and lower volume control... it was much easier to fine tune and adjust to a lower volume than on the Red which was much, much louder due to its higher amp output.  So I saved myself some money choosing the black variant over the red one as I hadn't quite realized there was a dramatic price difference between the two!  :)

I listened to another Audeze Deckard and my H6s sounded as great as before though when comparing with the DragonFlys I honestly couldn't pinpoint any major improvement with the Deckard so I am definitely pleased with that revelation.  I guess my H6s only needed a little bit more juice to deepen (tighten up) the bass and expand/broaden the sound stage and timbre... anything beyond the DragonFly Black level may be simply overkill with the H6s.

All in all I now have a perfect home and portable headphone dac/amp solution! 

I am curious you mentioned Ether C is better than HD800 and T1. Are you referring to HD800 or HD800S? In terms of sound quality in which way the Ether C is better? I have also been looking at HD800s and would like to hear more comparison between Ether C and HD800

As for Aeon, looks like a really solid headphones but I keep thinking maybe I should wait until there's some solid reviews before placing an order for them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back