AEON, MrSpeakers' New Closed Back Planar Magnetic Headphone
Apr 10, 2017 at 12:03 PM Post #901 of 5,483
  Sigh...Thought I was set to buy these. Now not certain.  I spend over 4 hours on buses/trains each day commuting, it's brutal.  Looking for a PORTABLE, COMFORTABLE, GREAT sounding can for primarily interfacing with mere phone and Dragonfly Red, as that is the environment I'm dealing with.  

That said, I recently tried the AQ Night Owl, loved the comfort and warm sound with the Red, a lot in fact.  But it most certainly is not portable whatsoever, ugh.  I also tried the Audeze Sine, it is definitely portable but is such inferior sound in all ways, blehh, it was sort of embarrassing.  I'm currently being lent a set of PSB M4U-1 now which I do think do sound quite amazing for what they are, but they have too much clamping pressure and look horrible to boot.  I know the latter comment is a bit lame, but true.

Soooo, I felt all the happy medium might alas be the MRSPEAKERS AEON, as they appeared to meet my potential criteria, but now I fear they will NOT be truly portable either.

Perhaps what I am looking for simply does not exist?  Or if so, for my own edification, will someone....anyhow give me some guidance to end my miserable search of commuting audio bliss?

Why not buy a pair of IEM's then or better yet get a custom pair. Not sure why the AEON's can't be portable as well, I'll be using mine for my commute, sure it's not 4 hours of hell but I don't see it being an issue.
Only concern is I'd want to baby them and not just toss them into my bag when done but otherwise I'll be taking mine with me every day

Apr 10, 2017 at 12:13 PM Post #902 of 5,483
**Definitely* not portable? You guys have my sympathy! I'll be travelling EVERYWHERE with my Aeon.........just like I did with Ether C, K872, Nightowl, Sine, etc.

Portability is a state mind, make it happen!

Apr 10, 2017 at 12:18 PM Post #903 of 5,483
  **Definitely* not portable? You guys have my sympathy! I'll be travelling EVERYWHERE with my Aeon.........just like I did with Ether C, K872, Nightowl, Sine, etc.

Portability is a state mind, make it happen!

Well, none of the ones you mentioned above is as heavy or cumbersome as LCD-XC...it would be a stretch to call that one portable by any means..

Apr 10, 2017 at 12:23 PM Post #904 of 5,483
Well first of all I don't enjoy things crammed in my ear for 4 hours. I'm looking for comfort. Understood about make it happen, sure... was just not hoping to bring a separate backpack for freaking headphones, I already have to carry two bags as is. That said, can someone whom has ACTUALLY seen these please assuage or adulate the portability fear/comment? I could always suck it up I guess or get a bigger bag..just shoot me now

Apr 10, 2017 at 1:00 PM Post #905 of 5,483
Well first of all I don't enjoy things crammed in my ear for 4 hours. I'm looking for comfort. Understood about make it happen, sure... was just not hoping to bring a separate backpack for freaking headphones, I already have to carry two bags as is. That said, can someone whom has ACTUALLY seen these please assuage or adulate the portability fear/comment? I could always suck it up I guess or get a bigger bag..just shoot me now

A set of CIEM's properly fitted do not feel "crammed" into your ears, in fact besides not being able to hear the outside world, you could actually forget you are wearing them. Universals on the other hand, UGH, I just can't wear them. IMHO, YMMV, etc., etc. of course.  

Apr 10, 2017 at 1:02 PM Post #906 of 5,483

Please define "portable" full size headphones? If you mean, do they fold flat? then no. Do you mean, are they light? The Sine is 230g. The Aeon is 340g.

What do you mean when you say portable? 

Apr 10, 2017 at 1:05 PM Post #908 of 5,483
Hmm good question.  I guess main concern is how much room they take up in a bag.   As mentioned, I tried the Night Owls, loved them, but they will take up a huge portion of one of my bags.  Just loved the comfort and sound.  Weight is not necessarily a hindrance. 

Apr 10, 2017 at 1:07 PM Post #909 of 5,483
Do these really isolate well enough to be used on say a plane? That is my only concern with using them for portable use. 

Apr 10, 2017 at 1:26 PM Post #910 of 5,483
  Hmm good question.  I guess main concern is how much room they take up in a bag.   As mentioned, I tried the Night Owls, loved them, but they will take up a huge portion of one of my bags.  Just loved the comfort and sound.  Weight is not necessarily a hindrance. 

In that case, give the Oppo PM-3 a try. It is small, light, and folds flat. I like the Aeon better, so I'll be replacing my PM-3 at work when it arrives and only using the PM-3 when I travel.

Apr 10, 2017 at 1:39 PM Post #911 of 5,483
  Do these really isolate well enough to be used on say a plane? That is my only concern with using them for portable use. 

"Well Enough" is very subjective. I use IE80 IEMs on planes, and those are good enough for me. I tried using my Ether C on the plane, and while they worked well, for me, full sized headphones on a plane was cumbersome. 

Apr 10, 2017 at 2:47 PM Post #912 of 5,483
  I am curious you mentioned Ether C is better than HD800 and T1. Are you referring to HD800 or HD800S? In terms of sound quality in which way the Ether C is better? I have also been looking at HD800s and would like to hear more comparison between Ether C and HD800

As for Aeon, looks like a really solid headphones but I keep thinking maybe I should wait until there's some solid reviews before placing an order for them.

The HD800S is simply not as neutral nor reference like as the HD800 and I noticed reduced instrument separation and clarity. I also didn't prefer the bass of the HD800S could never put my finger on it but it just seemed inferior to the HD800 to my ears.  So I personally never liked the HD800S version that much... I prefer neutral sounding cans with strong imaging and timbre so the original HD800 is just nearly perfect for an Open Back only surpassed by the LCD-4s and just barely by the LCD-XCs which is closed. Though I must admit that I was never bothered by my HD800's well known and often complained sharp 6 Hz peak nor did I ever suffer weak mid range blandness that many audiophiles report.  The only reason I don't own the HD800 anymore is that I require and prefer closed backs and portability now. 

First the Ether Cs were so damn comfortable which really helps the listening experience especially in comparison to the heavy/clampy/sweaty LCD-4, LCD-XC, LCD-2 which hurt like hell.  In comparison to the HD800 I say the Ether Cs are simply clearer (slightly stronger clarity and improved imaging) but not by a whole lot.  They may not be as clinically neutral and reference as the HD800 and that may be what I like about them.  Also, they are closed and isolating which I now personally prefer. 

OVERALL SOUND (comparison only; first being the best)
LCD-4
LCD-XC
Ether C (C Flow)
HD800
T1
HD800S
B&O H6
LCD-2 (2012)
T5P.2

IMAGING/TIMBRE (comparison only; first being the best)
LCD-4
LCD-XC
Ether C (C Flow)
HD800
T1
LCD-2 (2012)
B&O H6
T5P.2
HD800S

Apr 10, 2017 at 2:54 PM Post #913 of 5,483

"Well Enough" is very subjective. I use IE80 IEMs on planes, and those are good enough for me. I tried using my Ether C on the plane, and while they worked well, for me, full sized headphones on a plane was cumbersome. 

Well I would say "well enough" is a function of having the power available through your device to overcome the sound not being blocked by the headphones. The caveat to that is that I would be concerned with increasing volume to the point that it creates dangerous levels.

Apr 10, 2017 at 3:12 PM Post #914 of 5,483
  The HD800S is simply not as neutral nor reference like as the HD800 and I noticed reduced instrument separation and clarity. I also didn't prefer the bass of the HD800S could never put my finger on it but it just seemed inferior to the HD800 to my ears.  So I personally never liked the HD800S version that much... I prefer neutral sounding cans with strong imaging and timbre so the original HD800 is just nearly perfect for an Open Back only surpassed by the LCD-4s and just barely by the LCD-XCs which is closed. Though I must admit that I was never bothered by my HD800's well known and often complained sharp 6 Hz peak nor did I ever suffer weak mid range blandness that many audiophiles report.  The only reason I don't own the HD800 anymore is that I require and prefer closed backs and portability now. 

First the Ether Cs were so damn comfortable which really helps the listening experience especially in comparison to the heavy/clampy/sweaty LCD-4, LCD-XC, LCD-2 which hurt like hell.  In comparison to the HD800 I say the Ether Cs are simply clearer (slightly stronger clarity and improved imaging) but not by a whole lot.  They may not be as clinically neutral and reference as the HD800 and that may be what I like about them.  Also, they are closed and isolating which I now personally prefer. 

OVERALL SOUND (comparison only; first being the best)
LCD-4
LCD-XC
Ether C (C Flow)
HD800
T1
HD800S
B&O H6
LCD-2 (2012)
T5P.2

IMAGING/TIMBRE (comparison only; first being the best)
LCD-4
LCD-XC
Ether C (C Flow)
HD800
T1
LCD-2 (2012)
B&O H6
T5P.2
HD800S

Thanks for the feedback. I guess I will stick with Ether C as the choice upgrade from my current PM-3. It's funny you listed LCD-4 and LCD-XC as those were also in my consideration and came very close to getting the XC but the heft of the headphones was a major concern for me. Every reviews I have read so far on Ether C mentioned how much lighter and comfortable they are in comparison.

Apr 10, 2017 at 3:12 PM Post #915 of 5,483

Well I would say "well enough" is a function of having the power available through your device to overcome the sound not being blocked by the headphones. The caveat to that is that I would be concerned with increasing volume to the point that it creates dangerous levels.

Ahh. well, for the Ether C, I used an iPhone and iCan nano on the plane, but the iPhone can drive it, but just OK. One more thing to carry. With the IEMs, it's just the iPhone.

I might still bring the Ether C and iCan, but I leave them in my carry-on and use them in the hotel room. 

The Aeon is 340 grams and the Ether C is 390. That's makes the Aeon just a few ounces less, so no big difference there.

It remains to be seen if the isolation is good enough, and if the cans can be driven from a simply phone or tablet to meet your requirements for plane travel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back