AEON, MrSpeakers' New Closed Back Planar Magnetic Headphone
Feb 21, 2017 at 4:33 PM Post #511 of 5,483
Anyone else obsessively checking this number, hoping that when it hits zero the first batch ships? Am I insane?

You are not alone brother, I feel your pain lol
biggrin.gif

Feb 21, 2017 at 4:45 PM Post #513 of 5,483
  Are those two questions actually related..? 
very_evil_smiley.gif

I guess I'm in the same boat...
wink_face.gif

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Not really.   Stated shipping date is April 30 though one would not be surprised if that slips a week or two.  The announced original production run was set at 500 units with only first 250 discounted.

beerchug.gif

Feb 21, 2017 at 5:09 PM Post #514 of 5,483
Can not wait for mine to ship.

I wonder if they will use a better looking case than the old theft prevention brown horrible looking penut case this time round?

Would love a more portable case even just a plain black one.

Feb 21, 2017 at 6:08 PM Post #515 of 5,483
Can not wait for mine to ship.

I wonder if they will use a better looking case than the old theft prevention brown horrible looking penut case this time round?

Would love a more portable case even just a plain black one.

Oh man, I personally thought the "peanut case" was the most well built cases I've ever seen-absolutely perfect fit with minimal footprint. Remember how big the Ether C actually was..................it wasn't physically possible to make a  smaller case. Great protection too. 

And ok, unintentional but yeah, theft prevention! lol

Feb 21, 2017 at 6:24 PM Post #516 of 5,483
Oh man, I personally thought the "peanut case" was the most well built cases I've ever seen-absolutely perfect fit with minimal footprint. Remember how big the Ether C actually was..................it wasn't physically possible to make a  smaller case. Great protection too. 

"Minimal foot print" lol that penut cas was huge haha. It would be nice if they just streamlined it a bit more. But offering great protection it did.

Could probably drop that case from a 100 storey building with headphones inside and it would survive. Haha

Feb 21, 2017 at 7:33 PM Post #517 of 5,483

"Minimal foot print" lol that penut cas was huge haha. It would be nice if they just streamlined it a bit more. But offering great protection it did.

Could probably drop that case from a 100 storey building with headphones inside and it would survive. Haha

Note sure what planet your re living on, but I just looked at my Ether C case and my Sentry GS-1401 case, which also fits large headphones. The Ether C case is thinner where it needs to be, and is narrower. There is no way the case could be smaller.

Feb 22, 2017 at 7:01 AM Post #518 of 5,483
In light of this new development I demand a full carbon fiber case :wink:
https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2017/02/australia-now-knows-the-secret-to-making-carbon-fibre/

j/k I know this takes years to reach marketplace

Feb 24, 2017 at 2:07 PM Post #519 of 5,483
  to easy to speculate on the cable, and no real reason to until we know. It either is re-terminatable or not

There is a guy that knows (nudge nudge)

BTW, "re-terminateable" trademarked Allan Marcus

:)

Anyone with a solder iron can reterminate the cables, assuming you can read the pinouts on the Head-Fi master cable page.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Feb 24, 2017 at 10:42 PM Post #520 of 5,483
Hey everyone - I'm in the exact situation as Josh, "Never purchased a Mr. Speakers product before or any pair of high fidelity phones before."  I've got a pair of the Bose QC20's I use on the commuter rail and that's about it.  But HELL I've been reading Inner Fiedlity for a couple years and skulking around here even longer and it's time to jump in some kind of way.  These look like they tick a lot of boxes.  So, I made the leap.  I'm in!  I can't wait!

Feb 25, 2017 at 2:51 AM Post #521 of 5,483
Hey everyone - I'm in the exact situation as Josh, "Never purchased a Mr. Speakers product before or any pair of high fidelity phones before."  I've got a pair of the Bose QC20's I use on the commuter rail and that's about it.  But HELL I've been reading Inner Fiedlity for a couple years and skulking around here even longer and it's time to jump in some kind of way.  These look like they tick a lot of boxes.  So, I made the leap.  I'm in!  I can't wait!

You won't regret that decission. Music is life, and having a great set of headphones to hear it all is one of the best ways to enjoy it.

Feb 26, 2017 at 3:17 PM Post #522 of 5,483
I had a chance to listen to the Æ​on at an event at The Source AV yesterday and I was so impressed that I preordered one this morning. The Æ​on was hooked up to a Woo Audio WA5 amp with some aftermarket tubes (don't know what kind, they were a bit strange-looking and had 'horns' on the side) and a Chord Dave DAC, so a pretty high-end rig. The Æon is light and is very comfortable. My ears fit easily within the around-the-ear earcups. The noise isolation seems very good, which is a plus in a closed headphone. To my ears the Æ​on sounds really beautiful, similar on nature to the Ether C Flow, but with a more forgiving nature. I don't think it's quite as resolving/transparent as the Ether C Flow, but it has a more easygoing nature that I found very appealing. I found it to have a very 'open' sound that didn't really remind me that I was listening to a closed headphone. I also got the opportunity to listen to the Æon through a Cavalli Liquid Spark amp fed by an A&K AK380 player, and the Æ​on has great synergy with the Cavalli amp. I have a Liquid Carbon amp that I love and plan to use with the Æ​on (and reportedly has great synergy as well), but the Liquid Spark is a really good-sounding (and good-looking) little amp.

Feb 26, 2017 at 4:27 PM Post #523 of 5,483
I got to hear the Aeon's (along with just about ever other headphone they had available to demo
biggrin.gif
​ ) at The Source AV's Electrostatic Shootout yesterday, and along with the Sennheiser HE 1 (which is now the best headphone I have ever heard), the Aeon was my second favorite highlight of the meet!

Dan had a pair in his demo room along with his Ether ES prototype, but I only listened to the electrostatic since I (and everyone else) only had 15 minutes to listen.  But later in the day, Warren Chi made his personal pair available for demo, so those are the ones I was able to listen to. 

When I first heard them, they were connected to the Cavalli Liquid Tungsten prototype amp (which I hadn't heard yet up to this point) and a Chord 2Cute DAC, and what I first heard made me quickly take them off in astonishment.  I couldn't believe how good they sounded!  I then quickly put them back on and listened for some time and was amazed at the SQ they were capable of.  But then I remembered what Stillhart had said about how fantastic the Liquid Tungsten sounded, so I tried them on the Sony TA-ZH1ES DAC/amp to get a better idea of how they sounded on a more mortal, but still high quality amp.  Things definitely went down a couple of notches, but they still sounded great.  It was mainly their soundstage that had now shrunk down to more conventional dimensions.  This experience told me two things:  1. Stillhart was right!  The Liquid Tungsten is some sort of freaky soundstage creation machine!  I've never heard a closed-back headphone sound so open before.  2. The Aeon's are capable of scaling to some pretty impressive heights with TOTL gear.  Warren later told me that the pair I had heard was one of Dan's reference pairs and was fully broken in with over 200 hours of use.

So here is a short overview of my impressions of them:

Comfort:  Very Good.  They are pretty light and they felt great on my head.

Isolation:  Excellent.  Their thick earpads create a really nice seal and block out quite a bit of outside noise. To see how much sound they leaked, I pushed their earpads together.  When I did this, there was almost no sound leaking out.  Very impressive.

Sound:  As I stated above, these sound amazing.  They have a somewhat compact soundstage (unless they are connected to a Liquid Tungsten!) but it is bigger than average for a closed-back and comparable to the soundstage of a HD 650.  But other than their soundstage, everything else about them is near reference quality.  Their bass, mids and treble are all in just about perfect balance with each other. Their resolution is sky high without ever getting even slightly harsh, even at very high SPL's.  And compared to MrSpeakers other headphones, the Aeon's have a much more upfront and thrilling presentation.  I just didn't want to stop listening to music through them!

I think Dan has hit it outta the park with the Aeon.  Of the all the headphones I heard yesterday (which was pretty much all of them!), both open-back and closed-back, the Aeon's were in my top 5 and were by far the least expensive.  They get so many things right that it is really easy to forgive and forget the few little things that aren't perfect about them.  I will absolutely be getting a pair of these as soon as I can!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back